Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
  • This plane has two seats on each side of the cabin and a single aisle.
  • Carry-on space is very limited; most roll-aboard luggage will need to be gate-checked.
  • The aisle armrests of the non-window seats can be raised to allow for a little more room.
  • The exit row seats (Row 8), marketed as Preferred Seating, do not have any significant amount of additional pitch and there is no arm rest next to the window.
    • On a small number of aircraft the rows are number 1-12, 14 and exit row is row 8
  • Row 1 is marketed as Preferred Seating Economy Plus, however there is no significant amount of additional pitch. The bulkhead at this row means limited space to stretch your legs compared to other rows, and there is little overhead space available.
  • Row 2-5 are marketed as Preferred Seating blocked for elites, but are standard pitch -- no extra leg space
Aerolopa: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-bombardier-cr2
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec

I looked around to see if there was a thread about this (with said title) and did not find one.

While its understandable that this aircraft is for very short hauls and seat comfort won't be too much of a hassle since you won't be on the plane for long, I am still curious as to what the fellow FT'ers think in terms of seating on the aircraft.

According to Seatguru, the first row of seats have restricted legroom, curvature of plane issues on the outer seats from center, and the overhead compartments may have safety equipment. The exit rows (Rows 7 & 8) aren't much comfortable either.

Mind you, this thread/question came about since I'm going to take a flight from JFK to IAD, but any short haul CRJ-200 will apply.

So does it really matter where one seats on that aircraft? Comments?

TS

[Moderator's Note - Older posts on this topic may be found here]

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm Reason: Fixed exit row reference
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The exit row (8) is marginally better than the other rows; maybe an extra inch of legroom.

The flipside is that given it's not that much more legroom (and some claim the seat cushions are harder, too--I've not noticed much difference as they all pretty much suck), you may want a seat in row 2 or 3 so you can get off the plane that much faster once you land. Believe me, spending even a few less seconds on a CRJ-200 is a good thing.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
You'll want to avoid row 13 at all costs as you are too close to the lav for comfort. There is always some inconsiderate person that doesn't close the door after they leave the lav.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try to get rows 5-6 in the CRJ 200. My logic is that if you are too much up front, they might move you to the back to balance the plane and rows 5-6 gives you access to both exits pretty quickly if you need to evacuate.

Last edited by username; Dec 25, 2010 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
The exit row (8) is marginally better than the other rows; maybe an extra inch of legroom.

The flipside is that given it's not that much more legroom (and some claim the seat cushions are harder, too--I've not noticed much difference as they all pretty much suck), you may want a seat in row 2 or 3 so you can get off the plane that much faster once you land. Believe me, spending even a few less seconds on a CRJ-200 is a good thing.
I always try to get row 2 or 3 aisle, for this very reason. The downside is that you might get asked to move aft for weight and balance if the load is light. That happened to me on a recent flight, and I was sent far, far aft (albeit with an empty adjacent seat). After two recent CRJ/ERJ flights where I didn't volunteer to move back, I figured it was time to take one for the team.

There isn't much to say about the CRJ-200 except that it's an affront to all things decent and humane.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Row 7 is not an emergency exit row; only 8.

Unfortunately, UA is using this plane for somewhat longer flights than JFK-IAD, so you are lucky.

The only other good thing about row 8 is that you might find an empty seat next to you slightly more often than other rows. At least that's my experience. Several times, the only empty seat on the plane is next to me in row 8.

It is a crummy plane.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The best seat on the Devil's Chariot, er, CRJ, is the one in the terminal waiting for anything else.

That being said. Row 8 isn't too bad. Row 1 is okay, but i've been moved a few times as well.
I've had to fly PSC-DEN-PSC, it was, um, ouch.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by twospirits
I am still curious as to what the fellow FT'ers think in terms of seating on the aircraft......So does it really matter where one seats on that aircraft? Comments?
Its because all the seats on the 200 are equally crappy.

And some seats are a little crappier then others (last row/row 7-limited/lack of recline).
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on the CRJ-200:

You don't want to sit on it. Period.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by smashr

Amen. Preach it.

But if you must, in order of preference 1B, 1C, any aisle seat starting in desirability (well, that word is waaaaaay too strong) at row 2, then 1A and 1D (VERY cramped and claustrophobic).

1B and 1C a) allow you to stick your legs out into the galley space, and b) get you off this miserable, execrable, calumniable excuse for an aircraft as soon as possible.

Of course, the downside of 1B (particularly 1B) is that you get serially thwacked by people with backpacks the size of travel trailers who think that when they get on an airplane their backpacks are magically rendered completely permeable by any other mass they encounter.
doug_999 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
1B or 1C. The curvature of the walls make the window seats too tight. Aisle seats in the first row means I get off the plane fast! Took a CR2 SAN-LAX, even standing only seats would be more comfortable!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Most probably know this, but the trick to getting 1B/C is to OLCI as near as possible to 24 hours in advance. You can't reserve these seats in advance, but they are opened up at the OLCI window.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
My CRJ-200 lessons learned:

-- Do not sit in a window seat, ever. Doubly true if you are stocky or broad shouldered. The wall will shove you against your neighbor.

-- 1B/C is the best possible seat on the plane.

-- Getting moved back because of weight issues is ok if your flight is not full, as many times there will be an open row or two back there. If they ask for volunteers to get moved, unless you are in a big hairy rush to exit the plane when you land (well, most of us are given how crummy this plane is, but moreso than usual), take note of how full it is in back and volunteer if you get an open row.

-- Do not sit by the lav.

-- Do not even try to use the lav.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by smashr

Some of us that don't have the luxury to avoid it...My airport is all CRJ service, year round, round the clock...Throw in connecting to another CRJ in the midwest or the odd flight from SFO or LAX, and I know the aircraft all too well.

I always book 8C. If that's already booked, I take 8B. I'm yet to notice any legroom difference, but two major things:

1. Row 7 does not recline, so on the oft chance that someone does want to recline their seat on this death barge, it ain't going to happen to you.

2. (and most important to me). As an exit row, they're only available in advance to 1P/1K/GS flyers. They're often the last seats assigned, so you have an exponentially better chance of having a coveted empty next to you. I'd say on 90% of my flights that have open seats, one of those is next to me...And often, if it's booked 48 or 49 of 50, the one or two empty seats, respectively, are 8D and/or 8A.

I hate this aircraft more than anything I've ever flown on...But I've been saved by the frequent empties next to me on nearly all my flights. I probably fly 40 segments a year on these !$*#@ things.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah I would try to avoid sitting in a CRJ-200... Just take Amtrak from Penn Station to D.C. lol. It's more comfortable plus if you get a ticket in any Acela train you can get free wi-fi!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.