Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
Is 1.5 hours enough time for a TG to UA connection at NRT?

Yes, no problem. Just a quick transit security check and you will be at the departure area. Not even half an hour, at the most.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N104UA
Is 1.5 hours enough time for a TG to UA connection at NRT?
More than enough time, but if you want to be efficient and spend time in a lounge, you want to clear security as fast as possible, so review the thread and maps for the location of the various transit checkpoints and look for the one that is the least busy.

Case in point, I was arriving NRT last week so I had the chance to walk past 3 different checkpoints - the satellite location that is normally empty was absolutely packed with the line out the door, while the usually chaotic central checkpoint was completely empty, and the "hidden" checkpoint just before you go down the final escalator to arrivals processing was also empty.

So, for example, if you arrive the 50s gates and you are leaving from the 30s gates, you have 3 possible checkpoints to walk by and can choose the least busiest of the options since you need to walk that distance anyway. Just be familiar with the layout and you should be able to connect quickly and efficiently with minimal waiting.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Is 50 minutes really enough? I will fly from HKG to IAD via NRT. UA7988 will arrive NRT at 3:10pm and UA804 will depart at 4:00 pm. That is the shortest connection time I have ever tried and I begin to wonder whether I should research backup flights should I miss the connection.

UA7988 is a code share with ANA.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Is 50 minutes really enough? I will fly from HKG to IAD via NRT. UA7988 will arrive NRT at 3:10pm and UA804 will depart at 4:00 pm. That is the shortest connection time I have ever tried and I begin to wonder whether I should research backup flights should I miss the connection.

50 minutes is enough, barely. However, will the NH flight be on time? That's the unknown. If it's on time NH staff will be there to expedite the transfer. You didn't give us a time frame so I assume it's in the near future, but with the Typhoon season in full swing, delays could certainly happen at both HKG and NRT. If it would be me, I would look into backup flights. Better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is 50 minutes really enough?
It's a little tight, but pax make that connection every day. NRT is not a difficult transfer.

If you miss, there are numerous later connecting options via LAX, EWR, ORD, SFO, etc. Though if you're trying to preserve an upgrade, that could be a problem.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to the above comments, be aware that if you encounter a long transfer security line, you can make a discrete 'fuss' and show your imminent connection to one of the attendants, who will expedite you. Supposedly you can also reroute yourself to an alternate checkpoint, but I have never managed to navigate the airport well enough to figure that out.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:26 am

Thanks for the advices. My flights will be at the end of this month, hope there is no weather related issues on the first flight. I looked at options if I miss the connection. There are later connecting flights that will arrive at IAD about six hours later. Not ideal, but it will work.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:05 am

Just want to give an update now that I am back. When I checked in for the first flight UA7988, the ANA agent assured me that people have connected in NRT in as little as 20 minutes, so I had nothing to worry about. UA7988 arrived NRT 45 minutes early so that gave me an extra 45 minutes. Without those extra minutes, I am not sure if I could have made it.

There was an agent at the gate as soon as the first flight landed. She had a list to use to check off my name on the connecting flight. After that, it was the walk upstairs to the security line. The security line was not too long and was relatively easy. It only forced me to ditch my water bottle and rebuy another one after the security check.

The walk to the next flight was surprisingly long with turn after turn in a crowded terminal. It must have taken me at least 15-20 minutes at a normal pace. By the time I reached the gate, they already started the boarding process, which means overhead space started to disappear.

If I have to do it over again, I would pick a longer connection time at NRT. There were attractive looking ramen choices along the walk that I had to force myself to pass.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Question airside transfer between terminals 2 and 3?

I want to visit and eat with a friend flying JAL internationally from Terminal 2 while I am flying UA out of Terminal 1. We will both be airside and have roughly 3 hours. Is it easy to transfer between these terminals airside or would I need a boarding pass to access the JAL terminal?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Question

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
I want to visit and eat with a friend flying JAL internationally from Terminal 2 while I am flying UA out of Terminal 1. We will both be airside and have roughly 3 hours. Is it easy to transfer between these terminals airside or would I need a boarding pass to access the JAL terminal?
Friendly bump, is anyone able to answer this question? Many thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Friendly bump, is anyone able to answer this question? Many thanks!
Last time I tried it was about two years ago. And it didn't work out. The buses go irregularly and
it really is a hassle. The service is more or less exclusively aimed at pax that need to connect at
the other terminal instead of leisurely shuttling between terminals airside. My guess there are no other replies because that is the general consensus. I cannot recommend this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA MM, UA 1K, DL Silver
Connection time in NRT

Flying DEN-NRT-CGK with 1.25 hrs in NRT - is this enough transit time to the ANA flight? Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Indigirl
Flying DEN-NRT-CGK with 1.25 hrs in NRT - is this enough transit time to the ANA flight? Thanks!
If the first flight is on time, yes. NRT is very efficient.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
yes, one hour is MCT.
You just have a security check prior to going to gate.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MM, UA 1K, DL Silver
ok, thanks, hopefully - Denver in January!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.