Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Latest Liquor License Victim - HNL RCC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Latest Liquor License Victim - HNL RCC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
I hate to tell you for all you folks who don't live in Hawaii that it is different here. They probably had issues that couldn't be overcome that wouldn't be a problem on the mainland. Sorry for the reality check - just different here.

If you really need a drink - go to the place next to Quizno's.
Well, that is pretty cryptic.... Care to elaborate? Just for general interest.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm headed to HNL tomorrow so I'll be in the club for my return home next week.

Why bother renewing the liquor license? The UC is just for overentitled folks anyway
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
This is one screwup that former CO has nothing to do with!
Hmmm, don't see the letters CO anywhere in their post. All I can speculate from their post is maybe there were cuts and the license renewal just got missed.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Well, that is pretty cryptic.... Care to elaborate? Just for general interest.
We have a saying "that's Hawaii" when you live here. Rules and regulations are very different than the mainland - many people when they move here get hugely frustrated with the local laws and customs.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

We have a saying "that's Hawaii" when you live here. Rules and regulations are very different than the mainland - many people when they move here get hugely frustrated with the local laws and customs.
Just as cryptic. Do you mean there are certain people you have to pay off? Or just suck up to? In this case, it would be simply a renewal of a liquor license for a company very important to the local economy....
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by EWR764
This is one screwup that former CO has nothing to do with!
It falls squarely in the hands of the HNL station manager. Who is he/she. The one from CO or the one from UA? That's who's fault it is.

That may be true. However the "RED CARPET CLUB" in HNL has had its license for what? 20-30 YEARS!!! It's not "Hawaii". It's COdbaUA

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 7, 2012 at 1:43 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm headed to HNL tomorrow so I'll be in the club for my return home next week.

Why bother renewing the liquor license? The UC is just for overentitled folks anyway
A little confused. Please explain how people paying club dues are over entitled to the services the club provides.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
A little confused. Please explain how people paying club dues are over entitled to the services the club provides.
Sarcasm, I believe.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Assume he was being sarcastic re: UA statement of some elites acting overentitled .. :-:
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just as cryptic. Do you mean there are certain people you have to pay off? Or just suck up to? In this case, it would be simply a renewal of a liquor license for a company very important to the local economy....
Ha ha - yes, it is cryptic. That is the point. Yep, sometime you pay off people. Sometimes you suck it up. Things that apply to the mainland don't always apply here. It is hard to explain - you have to live here and well - live it.

I know everyone on the mainland thinks - gosh, just renew the license - it doesn't work that way here - it's Hawaii! Maybe they pissed someone off. Maybe the manager forgot. Maybe some weird rule, and we got them, applied. Live here and you'll know what I mean.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
That may be true. However the "RED CARPET CLUB" in HNL has had its license for what? 20-30 YEARS!!! It's not "Hawaii". It's COdbaUA
Did anyone consider they submitted the license for renewal and it is delayed or rejected at this time? As someone who used to have to apply for licenses they get hung up all the time.

All we have is the United Club agent and their excuse but my guess there is more to the story in reality.

Alaska opened the new LAX board room with no liquor because their license took forever to get approved.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
My company is opening an office in Hawaii - it only took us about 7 months to get the lease finalized (normally a 1-2 month activity). Don't even mention build out of the space... 4 months in, we finally got architects drawings & layouts. It'll be another couple of months before the county approves everything. The folks that work in that office pretty much work in an empty warehouse with no A/C - they did put a window unit in the lobby so the downstairs offices could get a little bit of cooling. The main place they work is in an "apartment" built over the loading dock (which isn't on any as-built or county plans...).

The folks there have been in Hawaii for years, so they understand (and I'm understanding) the "It's Hawaii".
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by compubit

The folks there have been in Hawaii for years, so they understand (and I'm understanding) the "It's Hawaii".
While I can understand the delays with respect to construction, I think the whole "it's Hawaii, and you don't understand how we work" idea/mantra repeated above regarding the liquor license is a bunch of nonsense. The station manager probably forgot to fill in the renewal paperwork, or there's some unrelated violation with the City & County that's preventing them from renewing (maybe delinquency in taxes or some other failure to jump through the same red tape found with any other bureaucracy). My guess is that it's something more than the station manager giving a liquor commissioner stink eye on his/her last visit to the club or the failure of the station manager to slip a commissioner a $20 or a GPU.

Here's the info sheet that went out with all liquor license renewal apps this year: http://www1.honolulu.gov/liq/licensi...nstruction.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Just hire Magnum, he can sort out anything and lives on the island
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Asuka
Just hire Magnum, he can sort out anything and lives on the island
Man, I miss that show. It's ok though, we got the new Hawaii 5-0 now

Anyways, as someone who lives here I understand the "it's Hawaii" theory, but like slippahs (cool handle by the way), I don't think it's the reason the United Club let their liquor license lapse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.