Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
IIRC, the aisle seat has the smaller "third gap" in front of it. My laptop bag won't fit in it, and I never think twice about putting it in the center gap. Conversely, when I'm seated at the window, I have no problems with my seatmate putting their stuff in that spot. That center gap, although it's off-center, is really neutral ground. Anyone can use it, but I think deference should be given to the person on the aisle.
This is correct (aisle with the smaller third gap). Also, this assessment is spot on. I was in first on the A320 twice this week (I believe my first A320 CPUs since the merger, I kid you not) and the people sitting next to me had no problem splitting the middle gap 50/50. Gave us both extra leg room and we had no issues with space. Ah, harmony.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
IIRC, the aisle seat has the smaller "third gap" in front of it. My laptop bag won't fit in it, and I never think twice about putting it in the center gap. Conversely, when I'm seated at the window, I have no problems with my seatmate putting their stuff in that spot. That center gap, although it's off-center, is really neutral ground. Anyone can use it, but I think deference should be given to the person on the aisle.
^
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
While I do the same on the ground, once in the air I immediately pull it back to behind my calves in front of my seat (computer bag)...more respectful that way.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
A colleague and I are in E- aisle seats, with empty middles next to both (2 days out, Y9, so lots of middles open). The only open E+ is row 12, restricted recline. Worth it?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Seat recline on A320 Regular Coach

On a flight not that long ago I broke my laptop screen (cheap laptop) when the person in front jerked their seat back super fast. It got dimmer but days later it stopped working. It was just a weird angle they slammed right into it at the top and it hit my hand. A scenario I don't think I could replicate if I tried just bad luck and I don't blame the person obviously.

I have a flight coming up soon with a brand new laptop and really need to use it on my tripi. I would ask the person in front but I know reality the person might forget etc or I don't want to encourage them to recline. I don't even want to bring it up. Any advice on what size water bottle to use to at least slow them down from reclining their seat? I am totally willing to let them recline I just want to know first and would prefer not to get in a whole discussion. The flat water bottles empty obviously look ideal jut not sure the ideal height. Any frequent flyers advice greatly appreciated. I would pay for economy plus no problem but only middle seats open and I have an isle seat so that's a tough $79 to spend. I will totally let them recline if they want. I don't want to buy that knee defender thing id rather it just be an oooops water bottle in the way ill move it, go ahead and recline into me.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by bdlman
On a flight not that long ago I broke my laptop screen (cheap laptop) when the person in front jerked their seat back super fast. It got dimmer but days later it stopped working. It was just a weird angle they slammed right into it at the top and it hit my hand. A scenario I don't think I could replicate if I tried just bad luck and I don't blame the person obviously.

I have a flight coming up soon with a brand new laptop and really need to use it on my tripi. I would ask the person in front but I know reality the person might forget etc or I don't want to encourage them to recline. I don't even want to bring it up. Any advice on what size water bottle to use to at least slow them down from reclining their seat? I am totally willing to let them recline I just want to know first and would prefer not to get in a whole discussion. The flat water bottles empty obviously look ideal jut not sure the ideal height. Any frequent flyers advice greatly appreciated. I would pay for economy plus no problem but only middle seats open and I have an isle seat so that's a tough $79 to spend. I will totally let them recline if they want. I don't want to buy that knee defender thing id rather it just be an oooops water bottle in the way ill move it, go ahead and recline into me.
I can't say I've ever had a problem like this. But, I know it can get a little tight in E- with laptops. Your best bet is to go ahead and recline the seat in front of you and see where it lies before you take off. This'll enable you to position your laptop accordingly.

You're welcome to have your laptop out and mess with seat and tray table when on the ground with the aircraft door open, so I'd suggest doing so to verify the laptop positioning.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by coutura
I can't say I've ever had a problem like this. But, I know it can get a little tight in E- with laptops. Your best bet is to go ahead and recline the seat in front of you and see where it lies before you take off. This'll enable you to position your laptop accordingly.

You're welcome to have your laptop out and mess with seat and tray table when on the ground with the aircraft door open, so I'd suggest doing so to verify the laptop positioning.
Good advice. I will definitely try to position my laptop smarter.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:00 am

What would you all say is the best seat in F on the A320?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:38 am

Anything in row 2. Don't ever choose row 3 in case there's a swap (though I guess that may not matter in your circumstances).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Anything in row 2. Don't ever choose row 3 in case there's a swap (though I guess that may not matter in your circumstances).
Also don't choose row 1. Worst F seats in the fleet.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:16 am

Thanks I have selected accordingly
Are these seats the cloth F seats or leather ones similar to 737/757-300?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluvairlines
Thanks I have selected accordingly
Are these seats the cloth F seats or leather ones similar to 737/757-300?
Leather, and IMO much more comfortable than the old boxy, upright 737 seats
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:38 am

Thanks!
For some reason I thought these were cloth?:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...232/1276475/L/

Off-topic question moved to: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...stions-13.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Choice 21F or 7F

Hi,

I am currently in 21F for UA422 RNO-DEN and am the only person in the row with no standbys at T-24. 7F is available as well and the flight is operated by a version 1 320 that should have the cut outs. I have about 45 min in Denver. Tempted to move up to 7F even though 7DE are occupied. Opinions? Suggestions? Would be much appreciated.

UATulip
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
Does anyone know why the United website (when choosing seats on an Airbus 320) indicates the following for row 7 ?

7B
Economy Plus
(No under-seat storage)

I was on a 319 last week with slimline and the bulkhead wall was just like before -- has plenty of space at the bottom to slip your carry-on behind the FC cabin (provided the blankets or other FA gear hasn't already been placed there)

I don't ever remember seeing the parenthetical warning before....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.