Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Might help to read the blog-- here a link to reference to the blog http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13694454-post635.html
or a direct link Randy's Journal (Boeing) on Dreamliner
Thanks for the link. Still ( under todays economics, i.e. todays Asian and European load factors ) makes no sense to me. I know from experience, that E+ is wonderful, yet a farce, because on todays' full airplanes, the backpackers, who have no seat reservations and show up late at check in, are getting the last available ( open middle ) E+ seats without paying a premium for it or having to have status. That's a fact. I haven't been able to have my SWUs "accepted" on recent flights out of NRT, but had exit seats booked. A three seat row in a 747 and every time, one of the last pax to board ( a backpacker every time ) got the extra exit seat net to us. Nothing against backpackers, but the idea of scoring an extra seat next or between us really has not worked the past two years. That's exactly how it will work in the 777 with the new configuration. I do like it, and will probably sit in the back many more times than I hoped when I joined UA, but it still sucks if I have to have someone else sit with or between us on a long haul. YM5cW.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:09 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Wow, great observation from someone who is in the middle ( no pun intended ) of it. 3-3-3 may be good for UA, but it's not good for customers, especially couples traveling together, for sure. Unfortunately, as well, since SWUs don't go through as much as they used to, especially for us flying in and out of NRT and the rest of Asia, as well as to and from Europe. Those flights are never at a load factor of 62 percent, their load factor is close to 100%. A 2-5-2 configuration guarantees that 4 couples can sit next to each other, 3-3-3 only allows for 3 couples. This is not good news at all

Psssst. You are giving them an idea ( that most of us don't like )

Now, how silly is that comment? With a 2-5-2 configuration only the middle 5 are destined for either having or not having an empty seat available. The 2 seat rows are in most instances taken by couples traveling together. Now, with a 3-3-3 situation, couples wanting to sit together will reserve the A/B ( or equivalent ) seats, while there are plenty of folk who want to have an aisle seat. Since most single travelers would prefer aisle seats, by definition that would only make available one empty seat, the one in the middle three seats. On a nearly full flight, I would expect the middle seat in the center row of a 2-5-2 configured aircraft to be empty. How does the airline, or a gate agent decide which seats to be "empty" on a nearly full 3-3-3 configuration plane. While I did not read Randy's blog, I cannot understand that rationale.
All of these are valid points. 3-3-3 might be great if the airplane is only 67% full. Over the past few years, airlines have learned to be more judicious about capacity. Restricting capacity increases yields as well as seat utilization. They can get almost as much $$, for flying far fewer seats. If one was to assume that the days of the 1970's will return and aircraft will be 1/2 to 2/3 full (I remember UAL ESOP CEO Jerry Greenwald stating sometime in the 90's that he thought an 80% LF is optimal for both passenger comfort, ability to protect passengers in irrops and to make the bottom $$ line) then the 3-3-3 is great. If one realizes that the industry has learned a costly lesson, that overcapacity and underutilization of seats is very expensive, and that they have made a fundamental change to their business models (and I believe that change has occurred) then 2-5-2 make it much easier to make people happy. in any 9 seat config, if 6 of the seats are occupied, everyone is happy (66.7%) As soon as you fill 7 of the 9, the 2-5-2 still keeps people happy, while 3 people on the 3-3-3 are stacked. The 2 sections on the 2-5-2 are still "stacked" with even 6 seats occupied, but few are angry as most couples prefer to book the 2 seats, knowing that the seat next to them will be occupied.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If it's true (and I can't see any remote either), that's a terrible oversight. A seat-mounted touch-screen is the single stupidest design ever conceived. I challenge United PR or anyone else at United to sit in one of those seats with an eight-year-old behind them and say otherwise with a straight face.
AC has had the touch screens for a few years on EVERY plane its really not an issue.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Paella747
UA's new C seat!?!? Best in the world!?!?
To each his/her own, I guess.
SQ? NZ? AC? etc..... etc....
I ahve flown all 3.. SQ for sure is the best.

NZ and AC... vs UA? not much difference. If your flying alone a POD wins on AC if you are flying with friends UA wins.. If you have the upper deck on 747! for sure UA wins all that extra room when you drop down the arm rest on the window seat rocks!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Now, how silly is that comment? With a 2-5-2 configuration only the middle 5 are destined for either having or not having an empty seat available. The 2 seat rows are in most instances taken by couples traveling together. Now, with a 3-3-3 situation, couples wanting to sit together will reserve the A/B ( or equivalent ) seats, while there are plenty of folk who want to have an aisle seat. Since most single travelers would prefer aisle seats, by definition that would only make available one empty seat, the one in the middle three seats. On a nearly full flight, I would expect the middle seat in the center row of a 2-5-2 configured aircraft to be empty. How does the airline, or a gate agent decide which seats to be "empty" on a nearly full 3-3-3 configuration plane. While I did not read Randy's blog, I cannot understand that rationale.
I much prefer 3-3-3 as a single traveler, going out of my way to book 767s over 777s to Europe if I possibly can.

I prefer aisle access and if you book one of the aisle middles, at worst there is one person that has to climb over you (and only half the time) if the plane is completely full.

If the plane is 85-90% full or less (particularly E+, which is often the last to fill up on 777 or 767), often I will have an empty middle between me and another pax, the best possible arrangement, as I can get up whenever and no one will climb over me.

On the 777, the arrangement is horrible for me. I have very rarely seen someone with an empty seat next to them in the 2 seat pairs if the load is >60%, and finding a way to pick the lucky seat with an empty next to it on those pair seats is really difficult. As I very much like an empty seat next to me (just behind my preference for an aisle), that leaves the ends of the 5 seat group as possible seats.

As others have noted, the seats second closest to the aisle in the five seat groups are usually filled up next, so that means that if load factors are >80%, I will not have an empty seat next to me, plus there will be at least one person climbing over me to use the bathroom the entire flight, a much worse position than being in a middle aisle seat on a 3x3x3 configuration.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: UA1K 1MM
OK team. I'm in Rome and dead tired after flying 9,000+ miles from KOA. I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

I think it works. SOmebody try it quickly and tell me it works. I really want to crash!

CB

OK, play among yourselves. I'm crashing.

CB

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2010 at 11:38 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CaptainBilly
OK team. I'm in Rome and dead tired after flying 9,000+ miles from KOA. I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

I think it works. SOmebody try it quickly and tell me it works. I really want to crash!

CB
Looks good, thanks ^
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Are these the same seats as in 747 F/C?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK

CB
It seems alot more cramped than the 767 or 747 in C, or is it just me. The space between the aisles looks a lot narrower, i dont remember being that close to people opposite me me.

or is it just me
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Are these the same seats as in 747 F/C?
There are two types of new C out there. One kind has a fixed armrest, shaped like a T, between the pairs of seats; the other kind has a metal divider with narrow individual armrests either side that can be raised and lowered separately. I much prefer the latter kind, as they are more comfortable for both sitting (especially when typing on a laptop) and sleeping, and am disappointed to see these look like the other kind.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:08 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
CaptainBilly, you are my new favorite flyertalker Thanks for the pics! Looking good - can't wait to try it myself!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/
Great photos, thanks!

At least 20AB/JK look as good as the old row 17... and there's interesting seat options in 21C/21H. Not sure how/if those will be preferred.

I bet we'll hear lots of flight attendant gripes about navigating the carts around the lavs at door 3 in the future -- doesn't look like there's a lot of space at row 31 to pivot those around.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks CaptainBilly! Great pictures! Really appreciate you getting all of those even as the FA were yelling at you (nice work blurring people's faces too).
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: UA
Hmm...

C seems way to cramped compared to the old configuration... While the seats are looking nice, especially now with some decent IFE, I still prefer the old seats, maybe not lie flat but very comfortable, wide and plenty of room...

This seems to be a bit disappointing

Anyway, thanks for the pics!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bralo20
Hmm...

C seems way to cramped compared to the old configuration... While the seats are looking nice, especially now with some decent IFE, I still prefer the old seats, maybe not lie flat but very comfortable, wide and plenty of room...

This seems to be a bit disappointing

Anyway, thanks for the pics!
Once again, it MUST be more cramped. They went from 3 middle section seats to 4, as they did in the 744. Since the cabin was not widened, and the 777 cross section is narrower than the 744 already, not only is it more cramped than the old 777, it is even more cramped than the 744.

Worth it for a few degrees of extra recline on an 8 hour flight? Not in my book. Like the jamming in of the extra seat across on the 744, BIG to UA designers.

But big thanks to the Captain for doing UAs job. I guess they were embarrassed to post their own photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.