Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I would argue that using the armrest-down measure of 23.5 inches in UA's new C seat is fair because it's actually usable width.
People sit on the armrests?

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
It's not so far IMHO to say that if you added the armrest width in the old C, it'd add up to 27+ inches, because that additional space isn't useable.
Of course it's usable. My arms go there on the old C, just like they go on the armrests on the new C - which is the whole problem.

Originally Posted by mre5765
That group of 4 middle seats is simply insane. I would mind it if upgrading with a SWU, but if I had to pay $3K or more for it, I'd be angry.
Agreed. Of course, UA's approach to all things premium cabin, such as service, food, and pretty much everything other than the individual seat itself, appears to be under the assumption that passengers there are all upgraders/NRSAs/award travelers rather than anyone paying full cash price.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:38 am

I hate the 3-3-3 configuration too.

3-3-3 seating may now be an "international standard", but 2-5-2 seating has been an American standard to all 9 abreast airplane - DC10, L1011, MD11, and early B777 are all 2-5-2 configuration. There must be a reason why they were configured that way.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
3-3-3 vs 2-5-2 is not that imporatant for me, most important question; will we still have the same generous space between the front E+ row and the bulkhead?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thore T
3-3-3 vs 2-5-2 is not that imporatant for me, most important question; will we still have the same generous space between the front E+ row and the bulkhead?
The pictures posted already certainly suggest that - the front rows of E+ have excellent legroom and actually remain 2-seaters on either side.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:28 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by CaptainBilly
My shoulders fit comfortably in the "shell" but with very little room to spare. When lying on my back I had to put my arms on top of my abdomen as there was no room for them to fit beside my hips between the two arm rests.
Sounds kinda like coffin. lol

Thanks for all the pics; very interesting to see the new bird. ^
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
It's kind of funny that it took longer to convert this plane than it does to build an entire new 777, which Boeing can roll out in 51 days.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Initial Impressions in C

I rode UA914 yesterday, the new 777 config, and enjoyed my window seat in row 10. At first they had me in one of the "middle" seats in the 2-4-2, but luckily a window was available, albeit in the last row in C.

It was a little weird looking backwards into Y, but kudos to the staff - they actually closed the curtains! I did get a lot of time to observe the Y passengers, and must say that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I were in a middle seat in Y - the legroom seems good and the new seats are nice!

I would be a little peeved if I had actually paid for C and ended up in one of the two middle seats in each row however. These seats each seem closer to each other than to the adjacent aisle seat - there is not a little table separating the two middle seats from each other, just two adjacent skinny armrests. What I'm trying to say is that every window and every aisle is a much better seat in C, IMHO. A little divider piece between the two middle seats would have made all the difference.

But all in all, it's much easier to sleep on the new seats (if you're not too fat!) than the old seats. I liked the entertainment system (but pilot comm was turned off, and the "learning" channels need to be updated once in a while)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StingWest
These seats each seem closer to each other than to the adjacent aisle seat - there is not a little table separating the two middle seats from each other, just two adjacent skinny armrests. What I'm trying to say is that every window and every aisle is a much better seat in C, IMHO. A little divider piece between the two middle seats would have made all the difference.
Does this mean you can "shake hands" with you neighbour if both of the 2 skinny armrests are down?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Does this mean you can "shake hands" with you neighbour if both of the 2 skinny armrests are down?
Not sure - maybe there's a little piece of plastic between them - I couldn't look that closely!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by husker267
AVOD ^
3-3-3 Config

Regardless there are still three middles per row.
Basically this. Oh well, I do a decent job getting window seats on these flights anyway so no Real big deal for me (yes one extra person to walk over but I'm generally pretty good about not needing to get up)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
great pics.. thanks! Now, let's get those GRU (xIAD) planes done
+1
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/UCIB1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

If the two middle armrests are not divided by anything, I feel this is a very big misstep. Great for couples, but it sure would be awkward to wake up with your random seatmate spooning you.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Late to the party, but I had to ask

Has anyone commented that the 2-5-2 config in E+ is better for couples (if they can get either pair of the 2's) vs the 3-whatever config. Or have I missed something, e.g., maybe a seat map?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:40 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
More pics if anyone wants them [from www.airliners.net]:

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 26, 2010 at 8:25 pm Reason: proper attribution of copyright-protected images
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sammybk
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/UCIB1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

If the two middle armrests are not divided by anything, I feel this is a very big misstep. Great for couples, but it sure would be awkward to wake up with your random seatmate spooning you.
Unfortunately not much that can be done (well other than putting some sort of a wall between two seat-pairs). While the new C seats armrest is indeed somewhat narrow, so you'll have to share the armrest if you're in D/E with the other - but beyond that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Originally Posted by BH62
Has anyone commented that the 2-5-2 config in E+ is better for couples (if they can get either pair of the 2's) vs the 3-whatever config. Or have I missed something, e.g., maybe a seat map?
Probably the most common complaint. Done for the sake of each IFE box supporting 3 seats. Beyond that there's a bunch of interesting stuff in the thread about ratio of couples/single travelers, and increasing likelihood of empty neighboring seats under the 3/3/3 config if you want to read about that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.