Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
1A or 1K?

BRU-IAD on 777 3-cabin, in GF. I chose 1K, but would 1A be just as good? Looks like 1K is ever so slightly closer to galley activity, but it probably wouldn't be too terrible. Since it's a daytime flight, I'm not worried about getting lots of sleep.
2A and 2K are both unavailable (for now, at least - may be booked or just blocked?) rest of the cabin is available.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Time traveller
That is a good point to consider.

I have been relatively lucky with using my upgrades on international flights. However, I was wondering if one were "stuck" in E+, perhaps by being in an exit row windows seat (33A or 33K), the people congregating by the lav would not right in front of you as the emergency exit door would be protruding out a bit. However I suppose people could be reclining against the emergency exit door.
You are probably better off in the window for that reason - last place I'd lean is against the exit door (although I know it's not going to open up).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lindaiah
BRU-IAD on 777 3-cabin, in GF. I chose 1K, but would 1A be just as good? Looks like 1K is ever so slightly closer to galley activity, but it probably wouldn't be too terrible. Since it's a daytime flight, I'm not worried about getting lots of sleep.
2A and 2K are both unavailable (for now, at least - may be booked or just blocked?) rest of the cabin is available.
I usually take 1A over 1K.

Although it is a daytime flight and you are not concerned with sleeping, there are more foot traffic near 1K. FA from business/economy will visit the F galley frequently. In addition, you will see FA walking out of the galley before making the right turn to serve pasengers on the left side of the F cabin.

You will be the first one to get off the plane if door 1L is used.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

{not relevant after move}
On United 777 like the one that is flying ua803 (iad - nrt), is there really more leg room in bulkhead row 20 (20a,20b)?
I can deal with narrow seats but really would prefer being able to stretch a bit, if that's the tradeoff.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm Reason: moved to correct thread
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
This is not quite the right thread, but hopefully someone knows the answer.
Looks like now that one of the mods moved your post it is in the proper thread
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:06 pm

Yup, it's not always easy to find the best existing thread
Question still valid. I missed seat 21C, and flying with my daughter - so if I opt for the usual emergency exit row, she'll have to seat somewhere else nearby (which is probably ok with her ). If bulkhead is good enough to stretch out - will stay there.

If anyone has a photo of those seats that'd be ideal (I googled around, but found other carrier's planes which are probably not representative of UA)

Originally Posted by drewguy
You are probably better off in the window for that reason - last place I'd lean is against the exit door (although I know it's not going to open up).
I always opt for the exit row isle seat. Never found people "congregating at lavatory" to be an issue. I sleep most of the time anyway, and these flights tend to be overnight so after a few hours cabin usually quiets down and very few people hang in that area.

The ability to stretch out without any obstacles is worth it to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2014 at 7:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by br2k
{not relevant after move}
On United 777 like the one that is flying ua803 (iad - nrt), is there really more leg room in bulkhead row 20 (20a,20b)?
I can deal with narrow seats but really would prefer being able to stretch a bit, if that's the tradeoff.
Yes - there is definitely more legroom in 20A/20B/20J/20K. While it's not quite as good as the legroom in 21C/21H or row 33, these are still some of the best seats in EconomyPlus (much more quiet and private compared with row 33).

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Does UA block seats 2A and 2K HND SFO in F?

I'm trying to book a F seat on 3/23/15 HND SFO on UA 876, using miles. Although the cabin is totally open, seats 2A and 2K show unavailable. Are they being blocked for Platinums and 1Ks?

Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by hapywandr
I'm trying to book a F seat on 3/23/15 HND SFO on UA 876, using miles. Although the cabin is totally open, seats 2A and 2K show unavailable. Are they being blocked for Platinums and 1Ks?

Thanks.
Blocked for crew rest.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hapywandr

Thanks.
If that's a 747 I don't know why they would block them for 1Ks. No one in their right mind wants 1A or 2A on a 747. You break your back trying to stow your carry-ons.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If that's a 747 I don't know why they would block them for 1Ks. No one in their right mind wants 1A or 2A on a 747. You break your back trying to stow your carry-ons.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Huh? Some of the best seats on the plane^ Breaking your back with the overhead? That's a bit dramatic my friend... I've flown both these seats many times and that thought didn't even occur to me!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
pmUA 777 8J/K or 6C/D?

We're currently booked LAX-LHR in BF, 6C/D.
2 seats have opened - 8J/K and was wondering if there's a disadvantage to these seats due to their proximity to the lav.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by skycrab
2 seats have opened - 8J/K and was wondering if there's a disadvantage to these seats due to their proximity to the lav.

Thoughts?
I've sat in 8A, 8K and 8B before and never been bothered by the lav.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by skycrab

Thoughts?
Personally, I would switch. 8J/8K are backwards facing, so (in my opinion) there's less of an issue being near the lav and galley (since you're not directly facing it). For the same reason, I don't recommend any of the forward facing middle seats in row 8.

If traveling with a companion, I would much rather have a seat on the sides (A/B or J/K) instead of forcing someone into the middle seats (D/G).

Hope that makes sense. As always, YMMV.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.