Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by husker267
Regardless there are still three middles per row.
And now two "trapped" seats (A & J) from which the passenger has to climb over two pax instead of the only one seat (E) before.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Well, I think this is the best plane in the fleet right now. I don't care about 2-5-2 vs. 3-3-3, I am very happy with the extra leg room with the media boxes gone and some kind of new IFE, and finally power in coach. E+ with power? HUGE IMPROVEMENT! ^
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
As opposed to complaining about 3x3x3, which is always popular here, what about seeing the positives? Guess what they aren't going to change it now so let's deal with the positives.

1. There are new seats in Y
2. There is AVOD in Y
3. There appears to be more legroom (we shall see)
4. There is power in Y

I don't plan on being in Y anyway but I hope you guys enjoy the changes.

Honestly with the reduction in C seats because of the upgraded seats it will be more difficult to clear SWU's obviously, I hope I never experience Y but if I do I will put in for an aisle in the middle 3 seat cluster.

Finally the reconfiguration is done about 2 months, I hope they can rep one out every 3 or so weeks now.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:23 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
To All My Fellow 1K's...

What does it matter if Y seats suck??? Chances are will be sitting in C or F anyway (-;
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contrary to the critics above, I think it looks pretty nice for Y.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:35 pm

Did UA use the same seat design as AC? They look fairly similar or I just have bad eyes, I had a chance to ride ACs 77W from YVR-HKG and it was honestly a comfortable and wide seat in Y. I am a bigger dude and that was a comfortable seat...even for me.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Finally the reconfiguration is done about 2 months, I hope they can rep one out every 3 or so weeks now.
Ugh. two and a half more years...
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Ugh. two and a half more years...
What is the hurry if it is going to be much harder to consume SWU with the new C-seat?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by flyingbroom
to 3-3-3 seating

and what happened to 17 a-b and 21 hj?
Hate it as well....now every couple will be booking aisle window, or aisle aisle, leaving late bookers to all be split up into random center seats, and begging people (or the GA) to try to get them together. Heck, I even had a couple do that today, and complain when I told them someone else would be sitting between them. They said "well that isn't right...we are a couple...we booked it this way to get 3 seats for the 2 of us!" I told them they should now make polite conversation with the person and ask if they would like to switch their center for the other aisle or window, they replied "we don't want the center." I said OK, then stick with what you have...they replied....but we don't want a stranger between us.

I finally said that they should have then bought 3 seats for the 2 of them....lol, they offered to, but the reason a stranger was seated between them is because the plane is full...no way to buy that seat (I doubt they would have coughed up the walkup fare, but you never know.)

3-3-3 is just asking for this situation to be repeated infinite times.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
What is the hurry if it is going to be much harder to consume SWU with the new C-seat?
Because there is no C seat better in the world. Soft product certainly but hard product I don't think there is any better.

Thus the sooner the better, we all would trade old C certainty for a slightly less certain SWU for the new C.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
<--------------

Not a big issue for me.

I am looking forward to more legroom and power in E+, since I don't fly enough for the easier upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by fastair
Heck, I even had a couple do that today, and complain when I told them someone else would be sitting between them.
I can totally identify with booking aisle/window but getting upset about someone getting that middle seat?!??!!? I'd say "Only in America!" but I'm not so sure about that these days.

I'm not sure about 3-3-3 myself, 2-5-2 has worked pretty well for a family of four (yes, booking all but the middle-most of the 5).

I've never encountered anyone unwilling to trade that middle seat for an aisle when we offer.

Richard
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Hate it as well....now every couple will be booking aisle window, or aisle aisle, leaving late bookers to all be split up into random center seats, and begging people (or the GA) to try to get them together. Heck, I even had a couple do that today, and complain when I told them someone else would be sitting between them. They said "well that isn't right...we are a couple...we booked it this way to get 3 seats for the 2 of us!" I told them they should now make polite conversation with the person and ask if they would like to switch their center for the other aisle or window, they replied "we don't want the center." I said OK, then stick with what you have...they replied....but we don't want a stranger between us.

I finally said that they should have then bought 3 seats for the 2 of them....lol, they offered to, but the reason a stranger was seated between them is because the plane is full...no way to buy that seat (I doubt they would have coughed up the walkup fare, but you never know.)

3-3-3 is just asking for this situation to be repeated infinite times.
Great point. I wonder what type of focus groups inside UA they came up with. I'm assuming the comments about AVOD supplying 3 seats per is the reason. I don't know definitively but it is easy to spot of shortcomings.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Hi all,

Had a quick scan through this thread and just to confirm a couple of things which had been previously posted in the other thread but seem to have been asked again:

The seat bottom cushions do move forward on recline
The first and last rows of E+ have 2 seats on the side - that's rows 19 and 31

Apologies if I've duplicated anything.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Asiana Club
It is the exception, rather than the norm for airlines to have a 2-5-2 configuration in Economy Class on the 777.

Just be glad that United hasn't taken a page from the likes of Air France, KLM and Etihad who have begun reconfiguring their 777s from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3. Sadly, this is starting to become a more popular trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.