Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP mileage credit & privileges booked via TAP

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Gold

I am planning to fly return TPA-MAD in mid-January 2018 and for some reason the UA economy fares (and practically everything else) are all pricing out in the $2500 range while TAP has an assortment of 2-stop itineraries that are less than half that price. I am obliged to use my company's travel service and rules so it looks like I will be stuck with booking via TAP--a new situation for me.
Looking at TAP's website, it shows "Basic" and "Classic" products (my company won't pay for E+, which I can usually get for free on UA because I am Premier Gold). Evidently with "Classic" you can select a standard seat, and I believe my company will cover that. With "Classic" it also shows "70% miles" vs. "40% miles" with "Basic".
Four of the six legs are on TAP metal while the other two are UA and JetBlue codeshares respectively.
My questions are:
1. Will I be able to choose an E+ seat on the UA leg?
2. Will my *A Gold status give me any seat choice privileges on TAP (the TATL legs are on a TAP A330)? On JetBlue?
3. If I book this flight specifying my MP number, what will my MP miles credit be for this itinerary? 70% for all flights? Will I get mileage credit on JetBlue also, as it's a TAP codeshare?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stainhead
Looking at TAP's website, it shows "Basic" and "Classic" products (my company won't pay for E+, which I can usually get for free on UA because I am Premier Gold). Evidently with "Classic" you can select a standard seat, and I believe my company will cover that. With "Classic" it also shows "70% miles" vs. "40% miles" with "Basic".
Four of the six legs are on TAP metal while the other two are UA and JetBlue codeshares respectively.
My questions are:
3. If I book this flight specifying my MP number, what will my MP miles credit be for this itinerary? 70% for all flights? Will I get mileage credit on JetBlue also, as it's a TAP codeshare?

Thanks for any insight.
The mileage rates of 40% and 70% you are seeing are for crediting those fares into TAP's mileage program. The rates are likely to be different for crediting to United's Mileage Plus. For that, you have to know the fare code that will be booked, and how that will map into United's crediting scheme for TAP, which you can investigate here:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=319
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: 1K
My questions are:
1. Will I be able to choose an E+ seat on the UA leg? Yes

2. Will my *A Gold status give me any seat choice privileges on TAP (the TATL legs are on a TAP A330)? On JetBlue? I am not familiar with what TAP offers seating wise, but given it is a "classic" fare you will be able to choose a seat with possible upcharge for specific highly sought after seats, if TAP operates like that. For the Jetblue segment, *gold will get you, nothing.
3. If I book this flight specifying my MP number, what will my MP miles credit be for this itinerary? 70% for all flights? Will I get mileage credit on JetBlue also, as it's a TAP codeshare? No miles for the Jetblue segment, I would consult the Mileageplus chart on United.com https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=319 to determine mileage accrual based on your fare basis

Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am planning to fly return TPA-MAD in mid-January 2018 and for some reason the UA economy fares (and practically everything else) are all pricing out in the $2500 range while TAP has an assortment of 2-stop itineraries that are less than half that price. I am obliged to use my company's travel service and rules so it looks like I will be stuck with booking via TAP--a new situation for me.
My questions are:
1. Will I be able to choose an E+ seat on the UA leg?
2. Will my *A Gold status give me any seat choice privileges on TAP (the TATL legs are on a TAP A330)? On JetBlue?

Thanks for any insight.
1 - Yes
2 - Definitely not on JetBlue; I'm not sure about TAP.
3 - Credit for the UA leg will be based upon the amount of the fare credited to that segment (for RDMs) / 100% (PDMs). TAP credit will be based upon UA's chart for TAP, not their own chart, and it depends upon what fare class "Classic" actually maps into. No credit for JetBlue regardless of the codeshare, but you can get credit on JetBlue or one of their partners for that leg.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
For the TAP legs, you will probably earn some miles at least for a classic fare but how many no one can say. TAP does some funny mapping thing where the class they report to partner FFPs based on your fare family and not your actual fare class but they don't publicize this anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.