Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats especially the exit row seats in row 15 are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesnt really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if Im traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesnt exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

Its a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they dont extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isnt particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There arent as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EmailKid
While I've had mostly good luck with u/g, did sit in exit row from SFO to PVG, and none of the exit rows had open seats (the whole plane was packed due to SFO-KIX CX).

But I do check out coach even when upgraded, and don't recall last time I saw an empty exit row seat @:-)

But suggestion for E+ is a good one for a tall person ^
Why would SFO-KIX cancellation pack the PVG flight? i would think that would load up the SFO-NRT and -HND flights...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:11 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by harryhood
Why would SFO-KIX cancellation pack the PVG flight?
That would be a question for UA. I'm only reporting what I was told at the gate by two different agents when inquiring about (non) chances for u/g.

FWIW, when my PVG-SFO flight was cancelled, I was rerouted PVG-KIX-SFO a couple of years ago.

But to expand on your question, I'm guessing they were trying to accomodate pax on many different routes in order to get them to KIX - UA planes are flying pretty full these days, at least the ones I'm on @:-)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:10 am

I considered the E+ exit row (45, since 33 is supposed to be a pain due to the emergency slide, and proximity to the bathroom), but I've seen a lot of complaining online about people hanging out in the "extra" space there.

Similarly, 45 is right next to a galley as well, according to seatguru - and the immovable armrests in the exit rows make cuddling up less possible. If I was going on my own I'd go for 45 A/K (though both appear to be taken already on our particular flight).

Ultimately we're doing this on the cheap, and the $240-$250 per seat upgrade for exit rows would bump our total fare cost up about 30%

Are there any pictures floating around of the back of the aircraft showing the seating arrangements? Looks like I currently have us in 60 J/H currently, but 58-60 are all free. I definitely like the idea of getting into one of the two seat rows because of the no middle seat and the ability to stretch out a bit more (even if diagonally). I've heard the benefit of 58 is the extra seat storage in front.

The reason I'd ultimately choose 60 over 58 or 59 is the ability to recline without getting up in someone's business, but I rarely recline anyway.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by multani
I considered the E+ exit row (45, since 33 is supposed to be a pain due to the emergency slide, and proximity to the bathroom), but I've seen a lot of complaining online about people hanging out in the "extra" space there.

Similarly, 45 is right next to a galley as well, according to seatguru - and the immovable armrests in the exit rows make cuddling up less possible.
Yes, people do tend to congregate in front of exit row seats

And IIRC it's row 45 where FAs like to park their carts, possibly row 33 as well) before starting their service run. And they are not shy about bumping your stretched legs with the cart if you don't move them fast enough
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes, people do tend to congregate in front of exit row seats

And IIRC it's row 45 where FAs like to park their carts, possibly row 33 as well) before starting their service run. And they are not shy about bumping your stretched legs with the cart if you don't move them fast enough
You're correct about row 45, although there's plenty of room there. Disturbance yes, but hitting legs no (IMO). Not too much congregation on flight I was most recently on - the rear galley is used for that - more room (no crew), snacks, and lavs all in one.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:38 pm

While I've had mostly good luck with u/g, did sit in exit row from SFO to PVG, and none of the exit rows had open seats (the whole plane was packed due to SFO-KIX CX).
Yeah, if flight it packed those seats will be taken.

But, the last couple of 747 flights I've been on I was surprised to see the exit rows being among the last seats to fill, especially the middle (which is the best middle you can have). Clearly not many FTers on those flights.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
File D and 'Bad' E+ vs 'Good' E-

I am silver, and looking to switch to E+ for a flight tomorrow. I was noticing on the wiki that the 'D' seats have an audio box in them, but SeatGuru only lists 20D as having the audio box. Do all the 'D' seats have audio boxes and should they be avoided?

Also a seat like 25A is listed as a 'bad seat' but it is still E+, would that be better than a 'good' seat in E-? Does the window really make much difference if you are over the wing anyway?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by aza72

Also a seat like 25A is listed as a 'bad seat' but it is still E+, would that be better than a 'good' seat in E-? Does the window really make much difference if you are over the wing anyway?
What's your definition of "good" seat? Some like windows, others like aisles. No one likes middles. E+ doesn't have that much more leg room. Window over wing is better than no window, unless you want an aisle, IMO - you can usually see forward a bit, if you want.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by drewguy
What's your definition of "good" seat? Some like windows, others like aisles. No one likes middles. E+ doesn't have that much more leg room. Window over wing is better than no window, unless you want an aisle, IMO - you can usually see forward a bit, if you want.
I generally prefer window since it's something to lean against when I sleep, but would take aisle with extra legroom over window, provided there are no obstructing audio boxes. Are the audio boxes in the entire D file? Or just the first few rows?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
GF on 747

Hi, I am traveling alone and will be in GF going ORD to PEK. What do people recommend in terms of seats. I am thinking about 1A - let me know your thoughts.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nyr2299
Hi, I am traveling alone and will be in GF going ORD to PEK. What do people recommend in terms of seats. I am thinking about 1A - let me know your thoughts.
Great seat!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Great seat!
^ My favorite seat of the whole UA fleet.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nyr2299
Originally Posted by 747FC
Great seat!
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
^ My favorite seat of the whole UA fleet.
1A & 2A are my go-to seats!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
1A & 2A are my go-to seats!
Why do you prefer 1A & 2A as opposed to 1K & 2K? Just wondering
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by reverted
Why do you prefer 1A & 2A as opposed to 1K & 2K? Just wondering
I. Don't. Know!
I'm sure 1K & 2K are equivalent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.