Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats especially the exit row seats in row 15 are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesnt really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if Im traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesnt exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

Its a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they dont extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isnt particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There arent as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:20 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Would you pick 12 over sitting downstairs? I don't intend to sleep so I don't think the lav traffic would bother me that much.
I would. I prefer upstairs to downstairs almost universally. The exception would be if I could only have a backward facing seat upstairs vs forward facing downstairs.

Downstairs, you're much closer to a galley which I think generates more noise. If you don't have earplugs, I recommend them. They will help if the noise bothers you.

Last edited by sb3; Mar 16, 2015 at 12:22 pm Reason: grammar fix
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:42 am
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there any in seat power in E+ on any of the 747s?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by James Flannery
Is there any in seat power in E+ on any of the 747s?
Yes. This site gives you all info: https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

-RM
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:28 am
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks! I flew one from SFO to Tokyo about 6 months ago and it didn't have any ISP in E. Then flew again 3 months ago but was in Business. So looks like only 3 left without ISP in E. I am flying HKG to SFO on June 13th. Any idea how to figure out which aircraft I will be on?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Any idea how to figure out which aircraft I will be on?
Not this far out - but when you get to 2-3 days out the flight status often shows the aircraft number and availability of power, wifi, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Any idea how to figure out which aircraft I will be on?
A few days out, Flight Status or the phone apps will report the scheduled aircraft # and amenities. However aircraft can be changed.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:44 am

Any differences between 15A and 15K? I'm thinking windows, mainly....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:34 pm

Looks like I may change my flight by one day, which gives me many more seating options than I had before (!).

For a group of four people (family), where we want to see each other (but not necessarily have conversations, etc), with one pair forward facing and the other pair rearward facing, what is the best combo on the upper deck?

I'm thinking 15AB/16JK, or 15JK/16AB, etc. Row 14 is taken.

Any advice? (I would be taking either 15A or 15K, as I want to watch the engines!)

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by bsd107
For a group of four people (family), where we want to see each other (but not necessarily have conversations, etc), with one pair forward facing and the other pair rearward facing, what is the best combo on the upper deck?
Even if you sit facing each other, you won't be able to see the people sitting across from you because of the AVOD screens. Honestly, I think a group of 4 is actually best in the center of the lower deck. In fact, this may be the ONLY case that the 4 across in the center of the lower deck would benefit, but that's for another thread.

That said, if having a window is a priority, I might look into a row 9/10 deal where the 4 of you could sit basically by yourselves. You can laugh and chatter without disturbing anyone. Maybe someone with more experience in this department can chime in on this idea.

Last edited by phkc070408; Mar 25, 2015 at 12:07 am Reason: Addition of last paragraph
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't like row 9-10. Too much activity. Also, you really wouldn't be able to see each other at all, unless you stand up.

I think bsd107 already has the right idea. Upper Deck 15A/B and 16 J/K.
Upper deck serenity for sleep and very easy to see each other during flight.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by bsd107
Any differences between 15A and 15K? I'm thinking windows, mainly....
Not much difference, except perhaps the position of the sun and what's your favorite side if you'd like to sleep on your side.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
747 row 33 - is there power?

Does anyone know if row 33 of a 747 has power installed? It is the exit row right behind the E+ section and still considered E+ but only because it's exit row.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
Does anyone know if row 33 of a 747 has power installed? It is the exit row right behind the E+ section and still considered E+ but only because it's exit row.
I think the question is not whether a particular seat in economy has power, but rather whether your aircraft has power in economy. Currently all but 2 of 23 744s have power installed in Y. If your aircraft has it, it should have it in all rows.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the question is not whether a particular seat in economy has power, but rather whether your aircraft has power in economy. Currently all but 2 of 23 744s have power installed in Y. If your aircraft has it, it should have it in all rows.
Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for. The United site implies power is available in all E+ but is still being installed in E-. Sounds like I have a pretty good shot then. Thanks! Hopefully this is moot and upgrade clears ^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for. The United site implies power is available in all E+ but is still being installed in E-.
Most pax aren't aware of power outlets - just as well.

IIRC, only 2 outlets in second exit row, but only I used either one.

Sorry, didn't look to see if E- had power as well, though I though they are supposed to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.