Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Originally Posted by fwdlink
Hi All, been through the thread and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer about 19G and whether or not it has bassinet capabilities. United's website says it's 34 and 49, however the call center says 19 should be just fine it's a bulkhead, hmm, as I scratch my head wondering what to believe. I haven't been on the 747 in ages and not since the refurb with new F and C, just the 772's of late and I don't want to risk it with the new boy on the SFO-LHR UA930 run for 10 hours since we decided that because he's not a seasoned traveler we'll stay in Y and let C sleep.

Would be grateful for some definitive feedback as we're just a few weeks out and want to get this nailed down for our sanity and one less thing to worry about.

thanks!
Hi Folks, anyone, I mean anyone, able to shed some light on this one @:-) please
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I was looking at a YouTube video of someone boarding a UA 747, and noticed that there appears to be a closet directly in front of the center section in row 3. I also notice this in the Seatguru map. (I am not referring to the closet between 1AK). Is this closet available for passenger use, or is it reserved for "whatever" for the FAs? Can one store a roll-aboard in it?

Additionally, the 1AK closet appears to be very narrow: What fits in there?

Thanks!
I don't recall a closet in row 3, but maybe i'm mistaking. The closet in between 1AK fits small purses/briefcases and coats that need to be hung.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kthpence
I don't recall a closet in row 3, but maybe i'm mistaking. The closet in between 1AK fits small purses/briefcases and coats that need to be hung.
I think the OP is referring to the cabinet below the bar/table in front of row 3.

The cabin crew used it to store personal items and cabin service items on my flights.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for the information!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
SFO->LHR 747-400 What's a better seat pair?

Hola UA'ers.

I fly a ton of SWA so sorry to trample into here with what could be a useless Q-

I am flying for business and taking the wife over to the UK in a couple weeks. Corp travel agent stuck us in row 41 against the food service wall center of the aircraft. It looks like the last row 2 seats are open back around 58/60.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

My concern is that it's an overnighter and how much racket could one expect from either food area? Should we stick with row 41 and avoid some noise that might be at the back of the plane? I says more passenger storage at the back, but lav's are back there too.

Yea I know - economy but I'm not paying for either ticket and don't have any status on UA yet.

Help, suggestions appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The thread you seek is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ted-747-a.html

As far as noise and sleeping, always come prepared with eye plugs/muffs/noise canceling headset and eye shades.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by fwdlink
Hi Folks, anyone, I mean anyone, able to shed some light on this one @:-) please
I've often flown SFO-FRA on the 747 and I usually pick row 19. My experience is that there is a bassinet possibility at 19F-G. I've been asked several times if I would not mind moving to another seat to accommodate a parent with a lap child.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:24 pm

photo of seat 33A on 744?

I have a flight booked in 33A on a 744 to LHR; I know it's obstructed by the emergency slide but I want to get a visual of how it looks like so I can promptly get an aisle seat elsewhere in Y- before my flight next week.

Is there some way for someone to take a photo and post it here? (I've tried looking online and have come up with nothing.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Which exit row?

Is there any consensus on which exit row is better? (33 is close to the lavs and 45 is close to the galley)

Also, within row 45 is there any difference between the aisle seats (45C/45H) with respect to galley noise/light/etc?

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: United MP GS, HH Silver, Amtrak nothing
Wink Report from 15K

Just returned on flight SFO -> HKG on UA869. Great experience. On time departure, early arrival with all luggage. Friendly, attentive F.A.'s
I decided to choose 15K for seating based on previous posts and was not disappointed. I was able to get in/out of my seat thru the gap behind the seat without bothering 15J. I wanted the window for the extra space and it was indeed roomy. The lie flat bed was good. I am 5'6" and the bed was long enough. I have sat in the aisle seat before and have always been woken up by neighbor who is not as considerate about waking me or bumping me to get out.
That said it is not a matter of just getting up and walking thru the seat-fusilage gap, you definitely have to maneuver around the seat shell but for me it was easier than trying to hop over sleeping 15J. I used the scissor technique. Right leg over, shift right then stand and left leg sllde through.
After getting up to use lav then went to galley to ask for OJ the FA said she would bring it to me. I said I am in 15K she replied yes with a strange look, I just saw you get up from there
Next flight I will try 14A as it is essentially the same set-up.
Downside of sitting on upper deck is the retrieval of carry-on bags from the closet at top of stairs. Always a back-up while pax try to find theirs.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by BetsyF
I decided to choose 15K for seating based on previous posts and was not disappointed. I was able to get in/out of my seat thru the gap behind the seat without bothering 15J. I wanted the window for the extra space and it was indeed roomy.
Great to hear! I'm in 15K in a few weeks myself ... do you think a slim 6'0" man would have the same ease of slipping in and out of the seat as you did?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Hi! I'm going to be on a FRA-SFO flight on 744 with a companion in BusinessFirst... I think I have to choose between upper deck rear facing seats and lower deck forward facing seats right now. What would you prefer? 13J, 13K (rear-facing upper deck) vs. 10A, 10B (forward-facing lower deck)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinerd
What's the difference between 15K and 15A? Seems like there's a preference for the K over A.
K has been reported to have slightly more pitch.

Originally Posted by Auracon
Hi! I'm going to be on a FRA-SFO flight on 744 with a companion in BusinessFirst... I think I have to choose between upper deck rear facing seats and lower deck forward facing seats right now. What would you prefer? 13J, 13K (rear-facing upper deck) vs. 10A, 10B (forward-facing lower deck)
UD all the way.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:09 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Definitely UD. A much nicer experience.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I flew from sfo to fra in June and had 15K. Take 15A, you will have storage on the side. The overhead is very small, my briefcase barely fitted in.

I really liked the lack of traffic on the upper deck and the service is much better with 2 FA's for fewer customers. The rear facing is better to sleep, your head is slightly higher than your feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.