Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Always enjoy reading updates in this thread. One of the questions I have been thinking about is: I assume a lot of this is client funded travel. Do you run into any opposition on the necessity of travel when discussing with clients or do they firmly believe they get the most value from you being there with them? (If that question is too prying, I completely understand)
Great question. First, as far as being there in person. When I do training for a large group there is nothing like the face to face interaction/ synergy/ emotion/ motivation etc that could never be duplicated on Skype. Also a lot of my training is "live demonstrations with their customers/prospects from their market , right in front of them. Nothing brings more validity to the training than "Show me don't tell me !" Priceless.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hey Tom! Do pilots ever announce your milestones to the cabin? What are some of the reactions you hear when they do?

What flight to you expect to be on for 18 million?

Cheers and safe travels!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Great question. First, as far as being there in person. When I do training for a large group there is nothing like the face to face interaction/ synergy/ emotion/ motivation etc that could never be duplicated on Skype. Also a lot of my training is "live demonstrations with their customers/prospects from their market , right in front of them. Nothing brings more validity to the training than "Show me don't tell me !" Priceless.
Videoconferencing is fine for some applications, but it simply can't provide the personal touch that in person meetings provide. I just flew 4 hours each way for a 3 hour meeting that could have easily been done via VTC, but I would have missed out on the dozen or so sidebar chats on the margins that were on average more valuable than the meeting itself.

Plus, I got to fly Jet Blue for the first time, and what a meh experience....
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I'm amazed by all the travel you do, Tom! I'm wondering, do you ever fly other airlines, too? I often see UA and LH F priced the same to Europe, and when I do and am booking F of course I pick Lufthansa! I would love to know your thoughts on how the various Star Alliance products compare. Safe and happy travels!!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sorry if you answered this previously, but . . . how much is your travel planned well in advance vs. "last minute"? Do you basically know when you're flying and where you're going to be each day for the next several months? Or does your business sometimes have you making a "last minute" trip to, say, Australia?
I would say that 60% of my travel is planned over 3 moths out or more,trips with my wife/vacations, trips with the family and speaking engagements. 20% probably 1-3 months and 20% 30 days or less, sales presentations, immediate client needs/concerns,last minute bookings and spontaneous trips with the wife or family. Not exact numbers but a decent guess.
S
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Videoconferencing is fine for some applications, but it simply can't provide the personal touch that in person meetings provide. I just flew 4 hours each way for a 3 hour meeting that could have easily been done via VTC, but I would have missed out on the dozen or so sidebar chats on the margins that were on average more valuable than the meeting itself.

Plus, I got to fly Jet Blue for the first time, and what a meh experience....
Very well put..........except for the Jet Blue part ......lol
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Tom,

What are your best tips/secrets to maintaining good health with all the travel around the world? What sleep schedule do you follow? Hydration? Do you avoid all alcohol? Do you avoid certain foods or eating at certain times?

I did a trip recently across 14 time zones and recovered quickly, but I was a bit more bloated and grumpy than usual. Would love your tips.
For those who know me well,up to a few weeks ago, I was probably the LAST guy you would ask for tips in this area. I know the best things to do, just haven't practiced them. However, I am taking (maybe too late ) a more serious approach from the health stand point. All flyers know that you naturally dehydrate flying, more on longer flights of course, so drink plenty of water. Up to recently, adding more water on flights was putting extra ice in my Bacardi and Diet. I need to take my health more serious as all fliers should. I now drink much more water (always flavored with either lemon or those flavor drops) combined with either green tea or hot water with lemon. As far as sleep schedules ,I am unconventional. I sleep when I am tired and suck it up when I have to overseas. I find myself going to bed as early as 7 or 8 pm and waking up at 3 am to communicate with the office and clients back home,then put a full day in with my overseas client. As far as my eating habits, again know the right choices,don,t choose them as often. Does that make me weak? Hell no! I STRONGLY love those cinnamon rolls ,garlic bread and chocolate cookies! Lol. I rarely taking sleeping pills, but learned the hard way that when you do, DON'T TAKE THEM UNTIL YOU ARE UP IN THE AIR!!! Had a few Bacardi before boarding the flight with my wife from LA - MEL than popped an Ambien right before take off to have a great nights sleep. My wife woke me up 3 hours later telling me they cancelled the flight. To say the least ,I needed my wife and global service to get me off the plane. Won't ever make that mistake again. Some day I am going to write a book on all this stuff. Safe travels to you.See you in the air!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hey Tom! Do pilots ever announce your milestones to the cabin? What are some of the reactions you hear when they do?

What flight to you expect to be on for 18 million?

Cheers and safe travels!
Only twice. Once at 10 million and one more time at about 15 I think. Now that I think about it ,could have been at 17 million. It's ORD GS that always makes a big deal of it. They are the best! My second family! Got a great reaction on the 10 million flight, it was a party all the way from LAX to Chicago. They had a cake and poured Veuve for everyone on the flight!. Even when I wear my 17 million shirt ,I think people think I bought int in a novelty store. I get the biggest thrill when ORD GS celebrates with me in the lounge every million with a delicious cake,bottle of Veuve and hugs from all my friend in that department. As far as what flight I will be celebrating 18 million,I will know for sure in the next week or so and will post it here. I think I am less than 40,000 to go.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Love this thread - love the tip about water - although I can happily drink club soda / tap water (not so much from a water fountain on an aircraft).

On a transpac I look to drink at least two litres, hopefully three of water - along with the "bacardi's" and their ilk. Airlines don't cater that much water for a PAX, even if in First, so I have developed various post Security strategies - the main one being bringing a couple of empty bottles with me an topping up in the lounge.

Of course, I would suggest that if you requested a couple of Quarts of water before a flight it would happen.

Makes aisle access seats essential though ...

Last edited by serfty; Apr 9, 2017 at 3:23 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:38 pm

...Some day I am going to write a book on all this stuff. Safe travels to you.See you in the air!
I'm pre-ordering it now Seriously, I'll pay to buy and read it once it's out (unlike most books I either check out at a library or read online).

Thank you so much for sharing all your experience and knowledge. Really appreciate it!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: None anymore
Only twice. Once at 10 million and one more time at about 15 I think. Now that I think about it ,could have been at 17 million. It's ORD GS that always makes a big deal of it. They are the best! My second family! Got a great reaction on the 10 million flight, it was a party all the way from LAX to Chicago. They had a cake and poured Veuve for everyone on the flight!. Even when I wear my 17 million shirt ,I think people think I bought int in a novelty store. I get the biggest thrill when ORD GS celebrates with me in the lounge every million with a delicious cake,bottle of Veuve and hugs from all my friend in that department. As far as what flight I will be celebrating 18 million,I will know for sure in the next week or so and will post it here. I think I am less than 40,000 to go.
Thanks for the response!!! I'm excited to hear which flight 18 million will be. I think United should do more announcements for milestones for all million milers, maybe you should have a discussion with Oscar about that one
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:22 pm

Getting Close

Just passed 800,00 PQM heading over to Europe for the weekend with the wife. Less than 50,000 to go to 18 million.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS/2M Miles, AA 1M Miles
Thank you, Tom, for sharing. Really appreciate the posts.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
For those who know me well,up to I rarely taking sleeping pills, but learned the hard way that when you do, DON'T TAKE THEM UNTIL YOU ARE UP IN THE AIR!!! Had a few Bacardi before boarding the flight with my wife from LA - MEL than popped an Ambien right before take off to have a great nights sleep. My wife woke me up 3 hours later telling me they cancelled the flight. To say the least ,I needed my wife and global service to get me off the plane. Won't ever make that mistake again. Some day I am going to write a book on all this stuff. Safe travels to you.See you in the air!
I had to laugh, Tom, although I'm sure your wife didn't at the time.

It's the same reason we never remove our shoes until after takeoff, but a whole new level.

Thanks for sharing that one! ^
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
I had to laugh, Tom, although I'm sure your wife didn't at the time.

It's the same reason we never remove our shoes until after takeoff, but a whole new level.

Thanks for sharing that one! ^
Wives. Without them ,why the journey? My best to yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.