Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

to the ua employees working on thanksgiving

to the ua employees working on thanksgiving

Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Happy Thanksgiving UA employees! Thanks for another great year of flying United! Sometimes I think we forget that everyone has good and not so good days on the job! I am glad I am not serving 100's of people when I am not having my best day!!!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
To take away NOTHING

of the gratitude due the vast majority of UA employees I've had the good luck to fly with, still, it should be noted that working on holidays nets them special pay.
SO one might speculate, or assume or surmise---possibly all three---that by working that day they might just be trying to put food on tables, theirs and their pax', instead of moiling in aluminum tubing on 11/25, out of a sense of altruism, and thereby be deserving of special regard.
I said it.
I won't be working on Thanksgiving Day either, but will be, the day following, in an R&D environment with (probably) insufficient security.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:07 pm

The other half of the equation...

Don't forget the folks on the ground who I have heard on hand off wishing the pilots a Happy Thanksgiving or Merry Christmas (when I take the Christmas Day SNA>ORD flight)-the channel 9 community is really very cool
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by dcutcher
of the gratitude due the vast majority of UA employees I've had the good luck to fly with, still, it should be noted that working on holidays nets them special pay.
SO one might speculate, or assume or surmise---possibly all three---that by working that day they might just be trying to put food on tables, theirs and their pax', instead of moiling in aluminum tubing on 11/25, out of a sense of altruism, and thereby be deserving of special regard.
I said it.
I won't be working on Thanksgiving Day either, but will be, the day following, in an R&D environment with (probably) insufficient security.
Nope, not everyone. Pilots don't get extra pay for holidays, and I don't think the ground troops do. I know the FA's have it in their contract.

AD
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Originally Posted by Ericka
So, am I to understand that little tootsie-pop-like gifts are appropriate and appreciated?
I think that process is patented by goalie.
Yeah, tootsie-pops are ™ tho I am open to accepting royalties . But seriously, Ericka, be it tootsie-pops, Starbucks cards, chocolates or etc, you will see a smile on the faces of the UA employees as it's the thought that counts.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:10 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by goalie
Yeah, tootsie-pops are ™ tho I am open to accepting royalties . But seriously, Ericka, be it tootsie-pops, Starbucks cards, chocolates or etc, you will see a smile on the faces of the UA employees as it's the thought that counts.
I'll give it some thought. Thanks! ^
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Ok, today is Thanksgiving so let me bump this thread from last week to again say Thank You to all the folks who are working today at my favorite airline. It $ucks to be away from family and friends but you have chosen to work today to make the friendly skies just that ^ and I say from the bottom of of my <insert Boston accent> haht-Thank You ^.

Now if I may be a bit a of a <you know what> disturber* , the dAArkside forum has their own Thank You Thanksgiving thread but c'mon UA F/t'ers, that thread was started last week vs this one started last year, is 4 pages long vs this one being only 1 page, has 123 posts vs 36 in this one and they don't even have e+ and Ch9 so c'mon <throwing gauntlet down> show your thanks.

*I wouldn't be me if I wasn't
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
My thanks goes out to all United frontline & behind-the-scenes employees hard at work today, and for that matter... all United employees period. United has and likely always will be my favorite airline.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:19 am

One way or the other, I am always with family. After being in this career for many years, you all have become part of my life now. Happy Thanks Giving to you all, especially anyone who have to work or fly somewhere away from your family. To all the FF, thank you for all your contribution to this airrline. Without you all, we might not be here to day so thank you again for your continued support and God Blessed America.:-: :-: :-:
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks to all for helping bring families together for this holiday season.
Wish to best to all.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Nope, not everyone. Pilots don't get extra pay for holidays, and I don't think the ground troops do. I know the FA's have it in their contract.

AD
==========================
Ground staff (CSRs and ramp) get double time. Used to be double time and one-half. Thanks for the thanks to all of you plus thanks to those passengers (and employees !!) who have stayed with United over the years through many ups and downs (pun intended). - I'm not working today (Thanksgiving) but have worked many of them in my 30+ years. Happy Holidays.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:29 am
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Thank you UA staffers!!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

yes, you work a 7 day a week job but it is still hard to work on a holiday and to be away from family so i would simply like to say thank you to the folks at my favorite airline
As it's the eve of Thanksgiving week, I figured this is as good a time as any to again bump this thread and simply say thank you! ^

Now if any of you might be working UA231 (SFO-BOS [red-eye]) on 11/24 or UA235 (BOS-SFO) on 11/27*, please let me know as there will be an extra one for you

*barring a VDB as this being Thanksgiving Sunday and all.....

And to add, could the Moderators perhaps move this thread to the consolidated thread
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:36 pm

As it's the eve of Thanksgiving week, I figured this is as good a time as any to again bump this thread and simply say thank you! ^

Now if any of you might be working UA231 (SFO-BOS [red-eye]) on 11/24 or UA235 (BOS-SFO) on 11/27*, please let me know as there will be an extra one for you

And to add, could the Moderators perhaps move this thread to the consolidated thread
Working TG, xmas eve & 25th, and NY eve and day.
That's with 20+ years of seniority!
Just the way it is in this biz.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:47 am

Thanks, Goalie. We appreciate the thought.
No BOS trips, but one of these days, I'm sure we'll run into each other. We both seem to fly a lot on United

FAB

Originally Posted by ualp
Working TG, xmas eve & 25th, and NY eve and day.
That's with 20+ years of seniority!
Just the way it is in this biz.
I heard that! 25 years seniority, and I'm flying from the 24th thru 27th, and Dec 22-27th. But I think my wife can get on a flight on Thursday so she can join me for Thanksgiving evening at the luxurious XXX airport hotel!

FAB

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 21, 2011 at 10:56 am Reason: merge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.