Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sapguy
But really, is it too much to ask him to take ONE trip on UA per year to keep the miles from expiring?
Doesn't even take that much as all you require is one activity per year, not necessarily one flight.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, PC Gold
I'm so sorry for your Loss, it hurts !!

If I were you and the UA does not give the miles back, I will boycott UA for a life time.

Hope you can get all the miles back, try to find any qualified car rental, hotel stays during the period.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sapguy
I hope that the OP will get his 1.1 M miles back and I suggest that he spends them pronto.

But really, is it too much to ask him to take ONE trip on UA per year to keep the miles from expiring?
Originally Posted by tcook052
Doesn't even take that much as all you require is one activity per year, not necessarily one flight.
I kept my mother's US Air miles active with $0.99 spent on iTunes (of course this year she did not need it as she flew both US and UA multiple times).

I believe this also works with United miles.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
I kept my mother's US Air miles active with $0.99 spent on iTunes (of course this year she did not need it as she flew both US and UA multiple times).

I believe this also works with United miles.
The easiest way is to get a United credit card. Link it to the MP account and charge at least $2/yr. I'm talking about the cheap one that has no annual fee and pays 1 mile/$2.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton, Hyatt, Southwest
OP: Resolution of expired 1.1 million miles

Over the weekend, my UA MP account was credited with just above 1.1 million miles. The Customer Service rep I spoke to Friday had alerted me that it might be happening shortly and that it was the largest number of miles he had ever seen posted overnight on any account. In the end, it came down to a Thanksgiving 2008 rental on Hertz which I had forgotten about until I started going through my credit card statements.

Initially, when I called Hertz in mid-November, they claimed they didn't have records going back one year but I begged them to look because the rental was just under 12 months old. After they found the rental, Hertz posted a 500 mile credit to my account but, unfortunately, the posting date was mid-Nov 2009, the date I had called Hertz, rather than the actual rental date. Once the miles were posted to UA, Hertz claimed they couldn't take 'em back and re-post with the correct date. I then had to work with United's Special Services Desk -- sending them copies of my credit card bill to prove I had indeed rented a Hertz car a year ago. Because of the backlog, the Special Services didn't even get to looking at my faxed request for more than 2 weeks. Last Wednesday (Dec 9), when I checked my MP balance, it showed 500 miles posted on Dec-08 and I knew it was only a matter of time before the system catches up and my miles are restored. When it didn't happen by Friday afternoon, I called Premier Executive customer service which is when I was assured that the all the expired miles will soon be posted back.

Not that I wish it on any one, wonder if any else has successfully regained similar amount of miles... To ensure it never happens again, I've made a point of rejoining Mileage Plus Dining as well as the Grocery Miles programs. Also planning family trips to Europe for next summer to start using up these miles.

Thank you all for your support. I guess all's well that ends well!

[One last thing: I must've called Premier Executive Desk more than 10 times over the course of the month as I tried to get my miles re-posted. Every person at United I talked to seemed genuinely interested in helping me. I haven't flown United lately but it a pleasure dealing with the Customer Service staff. Can't wait to start flying the friendly skies again.]

Best regards,

Happy Million Miler.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the update! It is great to hear when UA stories such as yours work out for the positive!

sdcarver
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by unitedmillionmiler
Over the weekend, my UA MP account was credited with just above 1.1 million miles. The Customer Service rep I spoke to Friday had alerted me that it might be happening shortly and that it was the largest number of miles he had ever seen posted overnight on any account. In the end, it came down to a Thanksgiving 2008 rental on Hertz which I had forgotten about until I started going through my credit card statements.

Initially, when I called Hertz in mid-November, they claimed they didn't have records going back one year but I begged them to look because the rental was just under 12 months old. After they found the rental, Hertz posted a 500 mile credit to my account but, unfortunately, the posting date was mid-Nov 2009, the date I had called Hertz, rather than the actual rental date. Once the miles were posted to UA, Hertz claimed they couldn't take 'em back and re-post with the correct date. I then had to work with United's Special Services Desk -- sending them copies of my credit card bill to prove I had indeed rented a Hertz car a year ago. Because of the backlog, the Special Services didn't even get to looking at my faxed request for more than 2 weeks. Last Wednesday (Dec 9), when I checked my MP balance, it showed 500 miles posted on Dec-08 and I knew it was only a matter of time before the system catches up and my miles are restored. When it didn't happen by Friday afternoon, I called Premier Executive customer service which is when I was assured that the all the expired miles will soon be posted back.

Not that I wish it on any one, wonder if any else has successfully regained similar amount of miles... To ensure it never happens again, I've made a point of rejoining Mileage Plus Dining as well as the Grocery Miles programs. Also planning family trips to Europe for next summer to start using up these miles.

Thank you all for your support. I guess all's well that ends well!

[One last thing: I must've called Premier Executive Desk more than 10 times over the course of the month as I tried to get my miles re-posted. Every person at United I talked to seemed genuinely interested in helping me. I haven't flown United lately but it a pleasure dealing with the Customer Service staff. Can't wait to start flying the friendly skies again.]

Best regards,

Happy Million Miler.
Let me be the first in offering a sincere congratulations in reinstating your miles. I'm sure you must feel like this is an early Christmas gift, even if they were yours to begin with.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:58 pm

Congratulations. If you read the FAQ you will see that FT charges a 10% finders-fee for helping retrieve unclaimed miles.

I'm willing to take an INTL Biz award in lieu of an actual mileage transfer.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Merry Christmas and all that jazz

I am happy to see that your issues were resolved, in the best way possible!!!

Best wishes to you in 2010 and beyond!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:34 pm

Congratulations! I read about your case a month ago and I've been hoping you'd get your miles back.. and I am glad you did! Must be the happiest thanksgiving and holidays for ya!

-j
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Congrate

OP, It is a good ending and I am very proud of how UA CS take good care of you.

Welcome back to fly UA
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A Christmas miracle comes early. Thanks for the update and chalk it up as a very valuable lesson learned which I'm sure won't be repeated.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
congrats. i'm also humbled to hear that many ppl here offered to help by donating some of their receipts to help out the OP.

great board!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:09 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
unitedmillionmiler, thanks for sharing this fine resolution and glad that the FT community could help. Now that you'll be redeeming those miles and hopefully earning more, feel free to share more experiences with us.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Glad you found that Hertz rental and UA came through for you. Don't forget to keep active in FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.