Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

What is the best day trip from Edinburgh?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I'll have one completely free day in Edinburgh in mid September. I'll have access to a car. What destination should I consider for a day trip? History and scenery are favorites. Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:21 am

Cross the Firth of Forth, turn right, head up along the coast through Fife ultimately ending up at St Andrews
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Originally Posted by alanR
Cross the Firth of Forth, turn right, head up along the coast through Fife ultimately ending up at St Andrews
I'd 100% second that. Lots of picturesque fishing villages - Pittenweem, Anstruther, Crail et al. There's an interesting fishing museum in Anstruther (and great fish and chips). St Andrews for golf, cathedral, castle etc etc.

Good restaurants in St Andrews and around - The Seafood Restaurant, the Peat Inn (out of town). Ostlers Close (in Cupar) are all good for blow outs. The Dolls House is great VFM (particularly at lunchtime and early evening).
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stirling and Perth are very nice places to visit and have lots of history - Stirling Castle is a must for the view alone and dare I say it - very underrated compared to Edinburgh Castle.

Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:09 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I love the Fife coast as well, so that would be something I'd suggest.

Another option would be to head for the Pitlochry/Blair Atholl area. Blair Atholl is the home to the Duke of Atholl (well actually, it isn't because the current one lives in South Africa, but the ducal seat is there). It's a very beautiful area, Atholl Palace is lovely. Stop at the Pass at Killiecrankie, scene of a famous Jacobite victory. Lunch at the Killiecrankie Hotel - or the Moulin Inn.

This is a longer drive than some of the others suggested - it's probably going to mean 4-5 hours of driving, but because the roads in this direction are good roads (motorway and trunk road), then it's easily possible in a day.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Dublin! Leave Edinburgh on 8am Ryanair flight, arrive Dublin 9am. Return flights arrive at Edinburgh at 9.25pm and 11.30pm.

A casual search showed fares as low as £20 return (9 September), even better value with a Visa Electron card (£10)!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I love the Fife coast as well, so that would be something I'd suggest.

Another option would be to head for the Pitlochry/Blair Atholl area. Blair Atholl is the home to the Duke of Atholl (well actually, it isn't because the current one lives in South Africa, but the ducal seat is there). It's a very beautiful area, Atholl Palace is lovely. Stop at the Pass at Killiecrankie, scene of a famous Jacobite victory. Lunch at the Killiecrankie Hotel - or the Moulin Inn.

This is a longer drive than some of the others suggested - it's probably going to mean 4-5 hours of driving, but because the roads in this direction are good roads (motorway and trunk road), then it's easily possible in a day.
AFAIK Major roadworks are still on the A9 just north of perth causing long delays
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Different kind of history, but if more recent stuff than castles interests you, consider the Royal Yacht Britannia about two miles out of town in Leith. Easily reached by Lothian bus (several routes), though you can drive if you want to see her in the morning and follow some of the other suggestions after. (If you'll have a free half-day some other time during your visit it would be plenty, including travel time.)
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by dm827430
AFAIK Major roadworks are still on the A9 just north of perth causing long delays
Go via Almondbank and Bankfoot (by the back roads), or even via the Small Glen and Amulree.

But it's a good point. As a local, I can find other routes which join the A9 north of Bankfoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.