Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years Eve in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:43 am
Original Poster

New Years Eve in London

Will be arriving in London on New Years Eve and was hoping to find a restaurant/club/venue where we could take in the fireworks/celebrations without being in the masses (I know that is part of the fun). Any recommendations?

Will be staying at the Dorchester and assume we will have a good walk back following the revelry.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Stuff hasn't yet been announced for 2009. So it is not 100% certain there will be fireworks. Though it is mostly likely probable. For the fireworks you need to choose a place with a good view of the river. Trying to think of a place off the top of my head I am sort of coming up blank to what would be open to the public and fits your requirements. My first choice would have been The Savoy. However it doesn't reopen till 2010. Another option, if they are doing something, would be the Royal Festival Hall. The RFH's Skylon Restaurant would be a good choice.

A link to the Mayors page for NYE 2008 is: http://www.london.gov.uk/newyearseve/ It should give you an idea of what went on last year

As a Scot I would of course recommend spending Hogmanay in Edinburgh rather than London.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:05 pm

What about somewhere in Shad Thames, on the south side of the river, just to east of Tower Bridge? You'd have to pick somewhere with a waterfront view, of course.

Or perhaps the Oxo Tower Restaurant?

Mind you, both are a good walk back to the Dorchester, it must be said.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Scotland is definately on our list for the next visit.

Any others have suggestions?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Stockycub1973
As a Scot I would of course recommend spending Hogmanay in Edinburgh rather than London.
Whilst Hogmanay in Central Edinburgh is better than NYE in London (which is itself far superior to Dublin), I would recommend finding an event outside the centre of Edinburgh - unless you like drunken young antipodeans - or better still organise a picnic on top of a hill and watch the fireworks from there.

Last edited by alanR; Aug 9, 2009 at 2:52 am
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
What about somewhere in Shad Thames, on the south side of the river, just to east of Tower Bridge? You'd have to pick somewhere with a waterfront view, of course.

Or perhaps the Oxo Tower Restaurant?

Mind you, both are a good walk back to the Dorchester, it must be said.
Shad Thames is too far east and south, and OXO tower looks north, so unless you're outside on the balcony, you won't see that much. Also, beware of the smoke. I remember one year where we waited on a very crowded Embankment for hours, only for the smokescreen laid out by the opening salvoes to completely obscure our view

The pavillion in St. James's Park ("Inn the Park" but owned by Oliver Peyton) usually has a New Year's eve special, and while that in itself is not necessarily something to shout about, there is a roof terrace (on a one-storey building, but still) with decent views across the Duck Lake towards the London Eye (i.e. the fireworks), and it's away from the worst crowds.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Shad Thames is too far east and south.
Is it? I've seen the fireworks well from there in the past.

In any case, it is probably too far from the Dorchester to make a pleasant night of it for the OP.

It was perhaps a silly suggestion.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
We will also be celebrating New Years Eve in London this year. we will stay at IC Park Lane and we have a son at 14,5. Any suggestions for restaurants and where to go/what to do?

xxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.