Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How long should it take to get through Gatwick airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 4:58 pm
COF
Original Poster

I'm getting to Gatwick via train, which Gatwick station is at the South Terminal I believe. So including the transfer from Gatwick Railway Station to the North Terminal, how long do you think it will take me to get to the gate assuming I only have hand luggage, and I've used online check-in and printed out my own boarding card?

Do you think an hour is enough to get through LGW in normal conditions, or is that optimistic?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
How long to get through Gatwick? It depends on the time of day and day of the week as well as the airline with which you plan to fly.

The walk from the rail station at LGW South Terminal to the transit train to the North Terminal could take five minutes if you're quick or twice that if you're on the slower side. The transit trains run fairly often, a journey of about two minutes.

Going through Security is another unknown proposition until the day of travel - the last time I went through LGW North early on a Sunday morning it took no more than five minutes to get through Security.

Some of the gates are a bit of a schlep from Security as well, so without knowing the airline it's hard to say how long a walk you'll have. I'd say an hour should be sufficient for the proceedings from arrival at the rail station to the gate - but on a busy day you could add half again as much time.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:05 am
Suspended

I'd say with hand luggage an hour will be fine, but that is giving you any room for contingencies, so you never quite know what will happen. On average, one hour is fine.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:57 am
Suspended

[IN answer to your title how long to get through Gatwick I have calculated that if strapped to a cruise missile in full flight it will take 0.0006254 seconds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.