Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK bank account as non-resident?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stifle
TSB will open an account for someone with an EU passport and a UK address without requiring any proof of that address.
That's handy to know....must remember that.

The Bank of Scotland wouldn't reissue my wife with a new debit card to our Argentine address despite sending her regular paper statements here. Seemingly it's something they just don't do.
At the beginning of our recent trip we enquired further at a B of S branch in Glasgow. They just asked her to change her account to a UK address so they could send out a new card before we left the country. No proof of residence at the address was needed. A friends address was given and the card arrived within the week.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:04 pm
GRM

Have been following https://www.monese.com/about.php on Twitter for a while, no experience of them.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GRM
Have been following https://www.monese.com/about.php on Twitter for a while, no experience of them.
They talk about easy to open, regardless of citizenship, but citizenship is not the issue being discussed. What matters is the way that a bank enforces the AML regulations which quite clearly require proof of identity and current proof of address. What is acceptable is specifically defined, but often banks will limit the items which they will accept, since staff find it difficult to deal with a long list. I do not believe that the regulations require the address to be in the UK, but I suspect that most UK banks will have their own regulations requiring that.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:27 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The Bank of Scotland wouldn't reissue my wife with a new debit card to our Argentine address despite sending her regular paper statements here. Seemingly it's something they just don't do.
If the card was stolen on its way to Argentina would you be happy to pay for the thief's purchases? Online transactions (by which I am referring to where funds availability is checked with the bank in real time, not "internet" transactions) would likely be declined but people who steal unactivated cards know where they can be used.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
If the card was stolen on its way to Argentina would you be happy to pay for the thief's purchases? Online transactions (by which I am referring to where funds availability is checked with the bank in real time, not "internet" transactions) would likely be declined but people who steal unactivated cards know where they can be used.
I had heard that the merchant is often responsible for fraudulent offline transactions? Is this not true—or I suppose it depends on the local custom.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI
It has nothing to do with postal security.

All the major banks have clients who now live abroad, who they post items to month after month.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI
- any banks that do not ask for proof of address just proof of who you are eg passport ?
-try to use my address to set up an account for him?
I would try to open an account in his name at your address.

Then, later, he can change his address to his address in Spain if he wishes.

-just set up an account in my name and give him the account to use ? ( i am self employed so would need to double check the implications as do not want it deemed to be income to me)
Really would not do this. Doubt his payments would route to this without issues.

- any other alternatives ?????????
-Offshore account in GBP like Isle of Man ? (he isnt wealthy)
Lets be clear about what it is you want:

Do you want an account denominated in GBP? Lots of banks will be able to give you one of thouse, banks based all over the world.

Do you want an account that is part of the UK clearing system for recieving payments? (i.e. 6 digit sort codes, 8 digit account numbers).

Do you want an account at a bank that is UK based/backed. Many people in want the secuirty of a bank with a head office in a more financially stable country.

Where is he based in Spain?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Calchas
I had heard that the merchant is often responsible for fraudulent offline transactions? Is this not true—or I suppose it depends on the local custom.
It depends, In the UK if it's a chip and pin transaction and the card was present with the correct PIN entered then it's not charged to the merchant. If it was done over the phone then you (as a merchant) are supposed to take the billing address details to check they match what the card issuer is expecting and if you accept when they don't match you're liable (not sure what happens if they do match to be honest - it's never happened to me yet [hope I'm not tempting fate]). If it's a magstripe only card then it will have to be from a foreign bank as if it's a UK one I will need a chip and pin card please. For foreign cards we have to check the card very carefully for any signs of tampering on the signature, strip whether the signatures match and often if the card number matches the issuer. I don't like foreign issued cards as result of this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Bumping this thread to see what options maybe currently available for a UK expat to open a UK bank account who's currently living in US.

UK citizen but not lived there for 30+ years.

If anyone has any recent experience I'd be interested to hear about it,

Thanks for any replies,
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Bumping this thread to see what options maybe currently available for a UK expat to open a UK bank account who's currently living in US.

Thanks for any replies,
No personal experience, but this blog seems to provide a good overview of the situation.

https://www.dnsassociates.co.uk/blog...-non-residents

I am sure there will be some others with more practical experience.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:17 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tattikat2

Thanks for any replies,
What is the purpose of having a UK account and how much money will be placed into it?

Will an app-only bank suffice?

Do you have access to a UK address to receive a card?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:10 am

What is the purpose of having a UK account and how much money will be placed into it?

Will an app-only bank suffice?

Do you have access to a UK address to receive a card?
Thanks for your reply,

Aging parents that I want to be able to help out with if needed.

Yes, I have access to their address if needed,
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:31 am

Have you considered using things like Revolut, Wise (formerly transferwise) if the issue is about sending money quickly?

Alternatively, Starling is another option for a proper online bank account.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Wise works for me. An account with them provides a UK IBAN account number which works a treat.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Have you considered using things like Revolut, Wise (formerly transferwise) if the issue is about sending money quickly?

Alternatively, Starling is another option for a proper online bank account.
Thanks for your reply.

It may involve more than just sending money. Buying property to be closer etc.

I assume I'll need more like a traditional bank account to do things like that.

Thanks
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.