Search

UK bank account as non-resident?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:22 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I don't know what this "Premier" account is, but ordinary HSBC current accounts are free (I've had one for 30+ years). Whether or not they will let you have one is another question, but as you are an existing customer it probably can't hurt to ask.
I called them up and it seems I wasn't the only person in this situation.
I was able to downgrade to a free account with them. No problems, no paperwork. When I get to London in 2 weeks I can stop by the branch to pick up my new ATM card and all is good.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Several UK banks no longer require proof of address to open an account if you have an EEA passport.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:37 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
And to add:
HSBC have something called a 'passport account'. You just need proof of identity (passport) proof of a (foreign) address (e.g. bank statement from your foreign bank) and a UK address (but no proof of it - such as a council tax bill - required).
The account is intended for new arrivals into the UK who do not have all the paraphenelia required to open a 'normal' account. There is an 8GPB / month fee and you sign a 12 month contract. I used it when I moved here for an 18 month stint in April this year and found it a very convenient and easy process. As soon as you deposit money into the account, you get a statement sent to your UK address, which you can then use as 'proof of address' for many other purposes (including getting a mobile phone contract and - according to an HSBC employee (!) - opening a bank account with another bank).
Old May 20, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I am bumping this up, since I'm preparing to move to the UK at the end of this week and opening a bank account there has been a bit of a mystery to me.

I am going to have a chat with HSBC's International Banking group tomorrow over the phone to see what solutions, if any, they can offer me. Judging by the links provided, I should, in theory, be able to open a bank account in the UK prior to moving there, even if it costs me some money.

If all else fails, I'll apply for the HSBC Passport account. I'll update this based on what I net out with.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by gosha83
I am bumping this up, since I'm preparing to move to the UK at the end of this week and opening a bank account there has been a bit of a mystery to me.

I am going to have a chat with HSBC's International Banking group tomorrow over the phone to see what solutions, if any, they can offer me. Judging by the links provided, I should, in theory, be able to open a bank account in the UK prior to moving there, even if it costs me some money.

If all else fails, I'll apply for the HSBC Passport account. I'll update this based on what I net out with.
I did the Passport Account thing when I moved to the UK, 14 months ago. Was a pretty straightforward and painless process. You need to show them proof of your local 'previous' address (a bank statement of your current bank will do fine) as well as photo identification. They will also establish that you have the right to be in the UK for at least a year (because you enter into a one year contract with them at 8 GBP per month).
I had my debit card and the security key that you need for internet banking about a week after I visited the branch.

Oops, I just see that I told the whole story in post 18, in October.....

Last edited by thijsseh; May 21, 2012 at 4:38 am Reason: Saw my own post above!
Old May 21, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

Lloyds TSB will allow you to open an account online, and you will just need to present your passport in a branch. No proof of address is needed as long as your passport establishes proof of residency in the UK (either because it is an EU/EEA/Swiss passport or it has a valid visa).
Old May 26, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I tried this when I was moving to the UK. I had a savings account with HSBC in Canada, but my main banking was with another bank. HSBC in Canada told me that unless I was a HSBC Premier account holder, then it would be very paper intensive and cost a lot (I recall Ł200) to set up. The Passport account, which is easy and relatively cheap to set up, was the best option.

The big drawback with Passport is that you can't get a credit card with Passport. HSBC said they would review the account after 6 months, and if you are in good standing and have money coming in, you can switch to another account (example, Advantage or if you qualify Premier) and then get a credit card.

Greg
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Forget the HSBC Passport or other nonsense. Opening a regular account with them was simple as pie. I even had the option to choose the type of account (regular or Advance).

While they do say that they need things like utility bills or proof of residency, in reality all they formally needed (as confirmed by the supervisor at the branch near HSBC's HQ in Canary Wharf) is the following:

1. US Passport
2. A letter from an established (a Fortune 1000 company for instance, not Pete's Garage) employer's HR department stating that you're gainfully employed with such and such salary, for such and such duration

It took 30 minutes all in all to open an account and be on my way.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:26 pm

Forget the HSBC Passport or other nonsense. Opening a regular account with them was simple as pie. I even had the option to choose the type of account (regular or Advance).

While they do say that they need things like utility bills or proof of residency, in reality all they formally needed (as confirmed by the supervisor at the branch near HSBC's HQ in Canary Wharf) is the following:

1. US Passport
2. A letter from an established (a Fortune 1000 company for instance, not Pete's Garage) employer's HR department stating that you're gainfully employed with such and such salary, for such and such duration

It took 30 minutes all in all to open an account and be on my way.
Interesting. When I moved from HKG to LON, I got an HSBC UK account opened via the International Banking Centre in HKG about a month before I ever set foot in the UK. They even gave me an overdraft and a credit card.

The funny thing was that I had only been a customer of HSBC in HK for 1 week before that, because they said that only existing customers were allowed to use the IBC. I did promise to deposit Ł10000 as soon as my UK account was opened, which may have speeded things up.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
When I moved to the UK in 2010 I worked in the UK for 3 months before I was allowed to open a bank account, reason being that I was staying in a hotel (no residential address). All big banks refused me, until I got a rental lease for my house, then HSBC accepted me as they considered that proof of address.

This also meant that I worked without a single penny coming in over that period

Also note I'm an EEA-national.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:33 am

Location: Belfast, N.Ireland. I'm also username WEEBOBBY (350+ posts), depending on whether I log in through Facebook or email.
Programs: Various - IHG Royal Ambassador, Starwood, DavidO fanclub etc
Hi everyone,

Just to revisit this post.

My father lives in Spain for the last 10 years + .
I live in UK , own my house , have a decent credit rating etc.

He doesn't have a UK bank account as he gave up his RBS bank accounts when he moved to Spain (in hindsight he should of kept them on even if not using them).

My father has some private pensions from army and his career after army already which is paid to his Spanish account.

He wants to have his State pension paid into a UK bank account. So, the problem is how do we get him set up so that his pension can be paid to him in the UK when he has no residence here????? He rents a house in Spain since my parents divorced.

- any banks that do not ask for proof of address just proof of who you are eg passport ?
-try to use my address to set up an account for him?
-set up a joint account in both our names using my details ?
-just set up an account in my name and give him the account to use ? ( i am self employed so would need to double check the implications as do not want it deemed to be income to me)
- any other alternatives ?????????
-Offshore account in GBP like Isle of Man ? (he isnt wealthy)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by robertadams12345
- any banks that do not ask for proof of address just proof of who you are eg passport ? under money laundering laws all banks will require official letters addressed to him at a UK address

-try to use my address to set up an account for him? see above - they will want something official with his name on

-set up a joint account in both our names using my details ?
-just set up an account in my name and give him the account to use ? ( i am self employed so would need to double check the implications as do not want it deemed to be income to me) for both could be tax and other legal implications

- any other alternatives ?????????

-Offshore account in GBP like Isle of Man ? (he isnt wealthy) again they are tightening up on id and other requirements etc plus tax implications not only in UK but possibly too

I just had to update my address with the Halifax and they insisted they have something addressed to me at my new address - utility bill, council tax etc - i.e. something official.

Asked about an account with Metro Bank this week and they required photo ID and two proofs of address
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's one of the the Catch 22s when people move here. They need utility bills to get a bank account but they need a bank account to get utility service.

The easiest way around is to use a UK office of a foreign bank. Santander springs to mind.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's one of the the Catch 22s when people move here. They need utility bills to get a bank account but they need a bank account to get utility service.

The easiest way around is to use a UK office of a foreign bank. Santander springs to mind.
Affects people in the UK as well if they aren't a named person on utility bills.

HOWEVER people will normally be on the Council Tax register and should have a CT bill. And even Ex-Pat Brits may be on the Electoral Roll.

For the poster I would recommend adding them to your home address and work from there.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSB will open an account for someone with an EU passport and a UK address without requiring any proof of that address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.