"First Choice"

Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Millemiglia , Lufthansa Miles & More; Starwood preferred guest Gold; Amex Membership reward
"First Choice"

Absolutely in chock after finding out that the holiday we booked with First Choice about 2 weeks and an half ago, is now reduced of 600 Pounds PER PERSON ! Yes... we paid £1500 per person and now is £899 .
What can we do ? Are we allowed to complain ??? The departure date is March 4th, so I guess they'd clame this is a lastminute offer, but what a scam for us !
Anybody has a suggestion ?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Read the Ts&Cs - they've probably got you by the balls at this short notice.

You'd expect to lose at least 50% of the price if you cancelled now. Most likely 75%.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Millemiglia , Lufthansa Miles & More; Starwood preferred guest Gold; Amex Membership reward
from first choice faqs
“If any change in our costs would cause a reduction in your holiday price, we will not make refunds of amounts less than 2% of your holiday price (calculated as above), but we will refund in full amounts exceeding such 2%, after deducting an administration charge of £1.“
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Am I interpreting it right, thinking we may be elegible for a refound ?
I have a doubt on the fact that it's less than 30 days before the departure date... so maybe they can reduce the price freely.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by elefio
from first choice faqs
“If any change in our costs would cause a reduction in your holiday price, we will not make refunds of amounts less than 2% of your holiday price (calculated as above), but we will refund in full amounts exceeding such 2%, after deducting an administration charge of £1.“
I could be wrong but it looks as though that rule only applies when their costs go down. What seems to have happened in your case is their costs have remained the same they have just lowered the price that they sell the product for.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Did you buy trip insurance? If you bought a trip cancellation insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason, you could cancel, get a refund and book at the lower price. You would need to check the policy and see what it covers but you never know.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I am going to call them today... I calculated , the price went down of more 25 % .
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:28 am

When you bought the holiday, you were happy with the deal you did. You thought you were getting good value, that what you were getting was worth what you were paying. They're now selling distressed inventory – possibly at a loss. Would you go back to shop in the January sales because the item you bought as a present in December has now been discounted? Welcome to capitalism. It works. My advice is to suck it up and roll with the punches. You're now putting yourself in a position where you won't enjoy your holiday.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by elefio
I am going to call them today... I calculated , the price went down of more 25 % .
Using your numbers above its actually 40%. I think when you ring you need to remember if they even decide to consider your request (which I rightly believe they will not) then they are doing you a favour. I'm sure if one of their suppliers had jacked the price of something up on them and they sent you a new bill after you paid requesting more money you'd be putting it straight in the bin.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wingnut
When you bought the holiday, you were happy with the deal you did. You thought you were getting good value, that what you were getting was worth what you were paying. They're now selling distressed inventory – possibly at a loss. Would you go back to shop in the January sales because the item you bought as a present in December has now been discounted? Welcome to capitalism. It works. My advice is to suck it up and roll with the punches. You're now putting yourself in a position where you won't enjoy your holiday.
I agree with you. I usually dont search anymore after my bookings, to see what's going on with prices. Only this time I did, and I should have not.
I spoke to First Choice, and obviously they won't refound anything.
In italian , we have a motto : " if my grandfather had weels, he was a carriage" ...
So, the story of the "if" ... if i had waited to book my holiday for just a week.... it doesnt work.
I will enjoy the holiday, and pretend like I never new about the price
Next time, maybe, I will try a lastminute !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.