Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Travelling with EEA Passport holder - Can I use the EU/EEA Lines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH

I've had a look through a couple of the forums but couldn't find the answer so here goes...

My husband and I are flying to the UK from Norway in a couple of weeks...arriving Heathrow T3.

He is Norwegian, and holds a Norwegian Passport.

I on the other hand, will be traveling on my Australian Passport.

Can I as his wife, join him in the UK/EU/EEA passport holders line (assuming they're less busy than the general line ofc) or will I be made to go through the general line?

Beck
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have a UK passport; my kids are US citizens. We use the EU line together with no problems.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I've had mixed experience with this when travelling with my wife, who isn't an EU citizen (they may be more lenient with children, a la dgwright99's experiences.

Sometimes they say "that's part of the benefit of being a UK citizen", other times they say "if you want to be together, you can go into the 'non-EU' queue.

No harm in asking, but it certainly hasn't been consitent with me!

tb
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I have taken friends through the EU/EEA line at LHR with no problems. And I only have right of abode in the UK not a passport.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:44 am

My experience is that it's mixed. Some immigration officers don't mind, some do mind.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
I guess I'll give it a try - the worst they can do is say no...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by bugsy
I guess I'll give it a try - the worst they can do is say no...
You might also find the non-EU queue shorter, depending on which flights have recently arrived, so do have a look there too.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Your husband can follow you in the non-EU queue if you want to stay together. Depending on the flight, the non-EU queues are sometimes shorter.

The trouble is the queues for the EU queues can be long with fewer counters so the longer time needed to interview you would hold-up the people behind you which is unfair to them.

I can understand parents taken kids through the EU queue since they are totally dependant on their parents for the details as the kids cannot be interviewed.

You as an adult, can be interviewed and would have to prove your right of entry either as an Australia or a spouse of an EU citizen. If nothing else, they will query why you are still an Australian citizen and evidence of your marraige, etc. This will take time and delay others in the queue behind you who do not need to be interviewed.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
If nothing else, they will query why you are still an Australian citizen
Will they??

I have lived in the UK for 30 years (and been married to a UK national for 20 years) without acquiring British citizenship. No one has EVER asked me why I'm not British (it's none of their business what nationality I choose to hold).
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Your husband can follow you in the non-EU queue if you want to stay together.
No he can't - whether UK immigration will tolerate him there is up to their mood on the day. I have been evicted (and not in a friendly way, may I add) from the non-EU queue at Stansted. And my wife has never been allowed to use the EU lane (Australian passport, STN, LGW and LHR). So in short, I wouldn't try it.
LCY is an exception, since there is only one queue for everybody.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:58 am

If nothing else, they will query why you are still an Australian citizen...
They won't be asking that... There's no reason why the OP shouldn't "still" be an Australian citizen.

But I wonder what the outcome was, that is if the OP has already made the trip?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When my wide didn't have her UK passport we usually used the relevant channels.Most times though there wasn't much delay in fact sometimes she was through quicker than me depending what flight we had come off.
Once, at GLA I think it was, I was through quickly so lurked behind the non EU line waiting for my wife and was more or less told to bugger off by the officer even after after explaining to them I was waiting for her. Bloody cheek of it.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by HIDDY
When my wide didn't have her UK passport
That's never a typo that goes down well!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stut
That's never a typo that goes down well!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
No he can't - whether UK immigration will tolerate him there is up to their mood on the day. I have been evicted (and not in a friendly way, may I add) from the non-EU queue at Stansted. And my wife has never been allowed to use the EU lane (Australian passport, STN, LGW and LHR). So in short, I wouldn't try it.
I'd second this recommendation. I've only entered the U.K. with my partner once since she acquired a passport of an ("top tier") E.U. country. That one time was going through the non E.U. lane (E.U. lane was backed up as they had just started scanning passports) at LHR T4 and we got more than a few questions, such as intention to stay in the U.K. (absolutely none on our part - we were just transiting and going to drop off some stuff acquired in Italy for my sister). Otherwise, never had a problem using the E.U./E.E.A. lanes with her in Cyprus, Italy, the Netherlands and Hungary.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jan 22, 2009 at 9:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.