Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Arrivals With US Passport - Morning vs Evening Arrival

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
LHR Arrivals With US Passport - Morning vs Evening Arrival

Based on recent experiences, what is the typical wait time to clear customs at Heathrow with a US passport? Is there a big difference between morning (~ 7 AM) and Evening (~ 9 PM) arrivals?
Old May 10, 2022, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Customs is not the issue because you just walk through the channel and if the officers want to talk to you then they’ll be talking to you.

immigration on the other hand can take time because it depends on what other flights have arrived at the same time and where they are from.

US passport holders can use the egates which speeds up the process considerably (absent travelling with a child or on some visas where you do need to see an officer)

Make your flight choices based on flight schedules, price and how it fits in with your other arrangements rather than clearing immigration.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I have arrived at T2 in the a few times between 7 and 9:30 in the last few weeks

Some days there was no q, i walked straight to an egate

Some days i was in a snaking Q around arrivals area for 40 minutes to get to an egate

It really will depend what is arriving ahead of you
Old May 12, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Conversely, I've arrived at T2 a few times recently but around noon and there was no queue at all for the e-gates.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
20 minutes T2 last Sunday around noon. It was busy but the line moved smoothly. The E-gates are a great improvement. Before their introduction an hour wait wasn't unusual.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:05 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Arriving in London in a few weeks on United in Terminal 2. Flying in Business Class (Polaris). Do they still have priority for Business Class passengers? United used to give you a pass on the plane to show the gatekeeper. Do they (or other airlines) still do that? Or can you just show your boarding pass to gain access?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Arriving in London in a few weeks on United in Terminal 2. Flying in Business Class (Polaris). Do they still have priority for Business Class passengers? United used to give you a pass on the plane to show the gatekeeper. Do they (or other airlines) still do that? Or can you just show your boarding pass to gain access?
Thanks in advance.
I was just there this week, UA ORD->LHR in J. No pass given by FA, and I didn't notice any priority lane in the arrival process.
On the plus side, line was pretty short and I finally got the E-reader to work, so about a 5 minute process (very early morning)

Oh, and United still hasn't re-opened their arrival lounge.

On the outbound, the Star Alliance Gold lane was available for security screening. Again, about a 5 minute process.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The priority passport line is a paid for by the airlines and is predicated on UK Border Force having sufficient officers to staff it

It's quite possible UK Border Force dosen't have the spare officers to operate it all the time (o indeed any of the time at the moment) or that airlines are reluctant to pay for it at the current times.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thanks in advance.
FWIW flew AA PHL-LHR last month in J and we didn't receive fast track passes either - that said, processing through egates was quick.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.