Recommended HEATHROW HOTEL ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended HEATHROW HOTEL ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Millemiglia , Lufthansa Miles & More; Starwood preferred guest Gold; Amex Membership reward
Exclamation Recommended HEATHROW HOTEL ?

My husband and I need to spend a night in Heathrow. We are flying from FCO on dec.4th , then going to a concert in central London, and the next day flying to Canada from Heathrow at 11 am. I think the best solution for us is to stay at an airport hotel. Any suggestion ? Does anybody know an hotel that offers free transfer from/to airport ? What about the Yotel?
Thanks so much.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to FT. Not sure if you're aware of it, but there is a search function in the upper right corner of this forum. This question has been frequently asked, so if you do a search it will pull up a # of threads for you to review/decide upon.

In addition, you can change the threads showing from the current default of 10 days to the last year (lower left corner of the forum) & then just scan the titles of the threads/click on the ones that meet your question.

FWIW -

There are a # of hotels on Bath Road that the busses from the central bus station pass by & they're located in the 'free zone', so no charge to/from Heathrow. Alternatively, a # of people prefer hotels at or near Paddington because of the Heathrow Express or Connect.

Again, welcome to FT. Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Well, the Hilton attached to T4 is nice, but a little on the expensive side. But, you can walk to T4 in about 5 minutes. The Yotel is inside T4, and is a little cheaper, but the room is tiny and my shower had drainage issues. The bed was comfy, though.

It is also mere steps from the restaurants in T4.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia Millemiglia , Lufthansa Miles & More; Starwood preferred guest Gold; Amex Membership reward
Thank you SkiAdcock, I had no idea about the research button.
I'll start with that !
Thanks again
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elefio
Thank you SkiAdcock, I had no idea about the research button.
I'll start with that !
Thanks again
My preference would be to stay in the city following the concert. If your flight is at 11am, that's plenty of time to get out to LHR from the city in plenty of time to check in for your flight. I believe an early morning train would be easier than a late night train after the concert.

If you are flying AC to Canada, the flight will leave from T3. To get from the T4 Hilton to T3 can be up to 30 mins (walk 10 mins, descend to tube, wait for train, train, ascend, walk). It's faster to take a cab.
--
13F
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestion.
I have one more question : does anybody know an hotel with unblocked windows ?...something I can open to get some fresh air ? I am a bit allergic to dust, and sleeping in a place with no fresh air is a nightmare :-(
I guess I should take Yotel off my mind immediatly... It's just that is (relatively) cheap and it seems convenient, but maybe not too much convenient since you have to take the Tube from T4 to T3... I had no idea of that, thank you Seat13F_AC_CRJ for the feedback.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by elefio
Thank you all for your suggestion.
I have one more question : does anybody know an hotel with unblocked windows ?...something I can open to get some fresh air ?
The windows open in the Holiday Inn Express (Ariel) and the Ibis. Not sure I'd recommend either.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The windows open in the Holiday Inn Express (Ariel)
Unless I am mistaken, the Ariel is a Holiday Inn, rather than a Holiday Inn Express. If you get an upgraded room (the ones with a view outside the hotel), it is basic but decent for one night. Breakfast is OK.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
To add another similar question to this thread -- I have an early (7:00) Sunday morning departure from LHR next month, and will need a place to stay the night prior. To complicate things further, however, I'm departing on LH from T2. I had planned to stay in the Hilton (which is fairly cheap that night) but the trains between the terminals don't begin running until 05:20 or so.

Is that cutting it too close? If not, can I expect to find a cab at that hour to take me between the two? Should I stay somewhere else?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by dtremit
To add another similar question to this thread -- I have an early (7:00) Sunday morning departure from LHR next month, and will need a place to stay the night prior. To complicate things further, however, I'm departing on LH from T2. I had planned to stay in the Hilton (which is fairly cheap that night) but the trains between the terminals don't begin running until 05:20 or so.

Is that cutting it too close? If not, can I expect to find a cab at that hour to take me between the two? Should I stay somewhere else?
The train ride between T4 and T2 lasts 5mn. You would need an additional 10mn to walk to LH check-in counters, so it is doable. You can always find a taxi at the Hilton by asking the concierge the night before. The taxi company the Hilton uses is not cheap, though. The Hilton is one of the decent properties around LHR (I haven't tried the Sofitel, the Marriott or the Renaissance, yet, and I don't plan on trying the Thistle, the Park Innthe Jury's Inn, the Novotel, the Ibis, the Yotel or the Premier Inn )

Last edited by JOUY31; Nov 7, 2008 at 8:24 am
Old Nov 6, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Unless I am mistaken, the Ariel is a Holiday Inn, rather than a Holiday Inn Express. If you get an upgraded room (the ones with a view outside the hotel), it is basic but decent for one night. Breakfast is OK.
You are right it's an HI, but I could have sworn it was an Express when I stayed there a couple of years back. Maybe because the rooms (even the exterior ones) are so ing small.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JOUY31
The train ride between T4 and T2 lasts 5mn. You would need an additional 10mn to walk to LH check-in counters, so it is doable.
Got it, thanks. Is roughly an hour sufficient to check in and clear security? I've heard some horror stories about T2, but at 7am on a Sunday...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
Got it, thanks. Is roughly an hour sufficient to check in and clear security? I've heard some horror stories about T2, but at 7am on a Sunday...
The worst queues at T2 are at that kind of time in the morning, as there are a load of flights going out to European hubs in time to connect with morning longhaul departures! Not sure whether it'd be any better on a Sunday.
In any event, can't you check in online?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
When I'm leaving out of 1/2/3 in the am I stay at the Marriott. Can't answer about the windows opening. That aside, the hotel is nice. I book a taxi the night before.

But in the case of the OP, I'd stay in Central London for sure (Paddington Hilton?, depending on where the event is)
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Here's another vote for staying in Central London. Just las month, I faced this exact question - I had a performance at the Royal Opera, with an early flight the next morning. Staying in Central London helped me do these three things:

• Enjoy half a day in the city
  • Relax and take my time getting ready for the performance
  • Getting some sleep before leaving for the airport.

Note: The key thing is to have as much of your packing done the day before, so that you only have to do minimal packing just before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.