Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3 heathrow 9W to AA transfer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

T3 heathrow 9W to AA transfer

i plan to get into lhr from bombay on jet in the morning and plan to get the AA flight to ORD at 0755 dep? departs from T3 as well ...Is 1hr 10 minutes enough connection time?

THIS IS TERMINAL #3 INTER_AIRLINE TRANSFER

Last edited by lax747; Aug 9, 2008 at 5:31 pm
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
all i can say is enjoy the day in London,

You dont have enough time to connect, you need a minimum of 90mins and that is on a very good day when the transfer gods are smiling and you are blessed.

you have an illegal booking in which if you miss AA99, i guarantee AA will make you pay a $200 change fee and stick you at the bottom of the standby list if you have a cheap ticket and being summer, youll get a middle seat if you get on the next flight!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

i am transferring from jet which arrives also in terminal 3 so do i still need 90 min utes? I have an AA award ticket booked y AA. Should I pay the change fee now or let AA fix me up for the next connection to chicaggo/
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lax747
i am transferring from jet which arrives also in terminal 3 so do i still need 90 min utes? I have an AA award ticket booked y AA. Should I pay the change fee now or let AA fix me up for the next connection to chicaggo/
You cannot make the connection even though both are in same terminal. You walk to transfer area (About 20 min) stand in line for security (Up to 1 hour) reenter terminal 3 departures. It will take at least 2 hours. DO NOT ATTEMT IT if you have another option
If you have a euro passport or have fast track coupon it is easier to clear immigration with hand luggage and reenter terminal 3 departures thro fast track. I have done it in 45 minutes once.
You must bear in mind that 9W may park at gate 35 and AA may depart from gate 22. You need to order an electric buggy from gate 35 to immigration and have to leg it to gate 22 as no buggies operate in that zone due to construction. Allow 45 minutes extra if the day is unlucky.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

thank you...i will see if AA will let me change the flights
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

AA says legal time for transfer is 1 hour so will not change my flight w/o penalty.
As this is an award ticket, they say if flight is missed, it is up to discretion of gate personel if availability for next flight. Any thoughts id I should go to supervisor level to change or plat it by ear at the airport. Jet record shows it is usually not too early and sometimes late.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
If your incoming flight lands considerably later than the actual time they should certainly accomodate you. If not - yes, 1 hr is doable but it is a nightmare to do it - chances are either you or your luggage wont make it.

AA says legal time for transfer is 1 hour so will not change my flight w/o penalty.
As this is an award ticket, they say if flight is missed, it is up to discretion of gate personel if availability for next flight. Any thoughts id I should go to supervisor level to change or plat it by ear at the airport. Jet record shows it is usually not too early and sometimes late.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
ok time to make a few things clear if the worst happens:

1) from what i understand, you have two separate tickets, one from india-lhr and other is lhr-ord. AA or Jet are under NO obligation to accomadate you if you miss the connection. you have two separate tickets, you will have to pay the price if things go wrong. Jet have a contract to bring you to london and they will, AA have a contract to take you ord from london as long as you meet the requirements eg check in 60mins before flight etc. they are both are honouring their parts of the contract, you have put yourself at risk by booking a tight itinerary. sorry to be harsh!

2) if you do miss the AA flight, and you are relying on the agents on the day to accomadate you onto the next flights. [TOS violation redacted]

3) RUN from jet to AA!

4) if you do manage to connect in 60mins from Jet to AA, next time your in london, ill buy you a drink!

personally, i think your screwed! I know T3 like the back of my hand and it aint pretty!

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by d3vski
1) from what i understand, you have two separate tickets, one from india-lhr and other is lhr-ord.
I don't think that's the situation OP has described. He has an award ticket booked via AA, which has two legs - one on AA and one on 9W. That doesn't make it two separate tickets.

That said, yes this connection is almost impossible to make.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

you are right in that I have ONE award ticket bom/lhr/ord/lax all return portion
of a trip booked by AA from bom-Lhr on JET and LHR/ORD/LAX on AA.

i now understand that this connection is difficult but was booked by AA even after I had questioned then and I was told it was a "VALID Connection"

What is my option in getting back to LAX and Not have to pay a change fee now?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
What is my option in getting back to LAX and Not have to pay a change fee now?
Hope your incoming flight is late and you're misconnected, I guess.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:35 am

apologies for misreading the itinerary,

if you have one throught ticket then hope jet are late and they will rebook you.

if you have a boarding card for ord from bom, run straight to the gate for aa and avoid the desk at the transfer area. if you get to the transfer area with less than 45mins, they will try and stop you from going to the gate so my advice, run straight to the gate because once you are there you can kick up a fuss and it will be hard for them to offload you if you create a scene!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:59 am

The security line is not necessarily a problem. Find a security person and explain your problem (go past the line to the front if possible and attract someone's attention, or you may find someone near the back of the ine directing traffic and answering questions). If you show them evidence that your flight is leaving soon, they will (usually) let you go through the priority line for first/business passengers. I cannot guarantee this but they have done it for me.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

thank you for all the great suggestions.
i will keep this reservation and get a boarding card on line from bombay for AA departure from london. AA has guarnteed me that they will put me on the next available flight if I miss the connection in LHR.
Thanks to all especially the last suggestion in the last post,.

we can probably end the thread now..
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is a Heathrow question, I am moving to the LON forum where there are many similar threads and lots of local expertise.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.