Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best Weekend Ski Trips from London?

Best Weekend Ski Trips from London?

Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Question Best Weekend Ski Trips from London?

I love skiing, having cut my skis on the best mountains in Colorado! Now that I live in London, I'm wondering where I can escape to for skiing that will only require a short flight+drive so I can pack in skiing on both Saturday and Sunday (i.e. fly there Friday night, fly back very early Monday morning). We'll likely be needing to stay in a hotel and rent equipment, so tiny resorts may be out of the question. As for terrain, we're hoping to keep it intermediate.

Any tips?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:30 am

Rather than fly, let the Ski Train take the strain or one of these
Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks, Alan. The train might make it difficult to be back at my desk by 10AM on Monday morning. I'm not so much looking for method of transportation as I am recommendations for specific resorts within striking distance of London.

I've heard Tignes is good, but 2 hours from the Grenoble airport... Perhaps there are some around Geneva, which offers some good flight options as well?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Chamonix is the obvious choice - quite a large town, rather than a resort. Probably easier to find a place to stay for the weekend.

You may also want to look at Morzine/Avoriaz & Flaine - all within easy striking distance of Geneva - best bet is to rent a car, though the queues can be bad on the weekend. Make sure you have a frequent renter card (Hertz club gold) and you'll save a bit of grief.

Arriving late on Friday? There's a very decent Holiday Inn Express at the airport for a quick pitstop before heading off early to the slopes the next day. Beats driving to the resort in the middle of the night.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:03 am

If you fly to Chambrey or Lyon then many of the resorts mentioned in my previous links are easily accessible
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
Try this.

http://ski.visitscotland.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.