Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Though the Heathrow Express train mentioned by SmilingBoy isn't the first of the day, before that there's these two:

Paddington 0510 - Terminal 5 0533
Paddington 0525 - Terminal 5 0546
I know, but I think the third HEX should give enough time. But then, for people that prefer spending an extra half an hour at the airport instead of in bed, the first HEX might be more attractive
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:49 pm

I could be more adventurous and go with a later option, but I'll be in tourist mode anyway, and first time departing from LHR so won't mind so much filling in any time left over with some shameful overpriced eating etc
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Though the Heathrow Express train mentioned by SmilingBoy isn't the first of the day, before that there's these two:

Paddington 0510 - Terminal 5 0533
Paddington 0525 - Terminal 5 0546
I know, but I think the third HEX should give enough time. But then, for people that prefer spending an extra half an hour at the airport instead of in bed, the first HEX might be more attractive
Sure, it's just that what stut wrote above (in post #48) could be taken as suggesting that the 06:01 arrival was the earliest that you could get there on the Heathrow Express - I just wanted to clarify that there were two earlier HEX trains.

Personally, I'm all for cutting it (rather too) fine - nothing like a good bit of drama in the morning to really wake you up!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Looking for some thoughts on this situation. Have an AZ flight out of T4 at LHR at 0600 on a Tuesday in May. I live in SW4, and my usual route to LHR is the 345 bus to CLJ, train to FEL, then the 490 to T4. However, trains won't be running yet at that time of day. I can get a room at the Heathrow Central Travelodge for £19 and their website suggests a taxi from T4 to the hotel would be £15 (presumably going hotel to T4 would be similar... now seeing that the T5 Travelodge might have a bit cheaper taxi to T4... thoughts?). All in, that'd be £34 (OK, plus a couple of quid for out-of-zone train travel to get there the night before. Anyone have any ideas on how that compares to the price of getting a car from my place to LHR at that time of day? London Airport Car Service is quoting £38, but I know nothing about if that's typical, good, high, etc. I'm thinking that if that's the best I can do on a car, staying at the Travelodge and using a cab would be preferable, since I could sleep later and wouldn't worry about how long the car's going to take.

Last edited by mtkeller; Mar 27, 2011 at 8:46 am Reason: Add note about T5 Travelodge
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you're in SW4, you could try Clapham Common hire. I used to live a few doors down from them, and they always did me well...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Three of us will be traveling from LHR to the Hyatt Churchiil (Portman Square) and back. It appears the HEX + taxi will cost just a bit more than a car service. But I don't have to worry about traffic delays enroute from/to LHR. We will have 3 large pieces of luggage and 3 carry-ons. We can manage all this luggage, but not for a long walk. Can anyone tell me about how many minutes walk it is from the BA baggage claim at Terminal 5 to the HEX boarding platform? Are there elevators available? What about at Paddington- are any stairs or escalators whatsoever involved? It is a direct train from T-5 to Paddington, correct?

I seem to recall from using a car service once that we had to drag all our luggage to a parking lot a bit aways, but that was a numbers of years ago, before T-5 opened.

Anyone have any experience with Exclusiveairports.com , Hummingbird Airport Transfer, or chaffeur.co.uk ?? I looked at Addison Lee, but they don't give an price right online and they say they have 2500 minicabs; it appears all they do is call a taxi for you and, with all this luggage, I don't need a minicab.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:59 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Three of us will be traveling from LHR to the Hyatt Churchiil (Portman Square) and back. It appears the HEX + taxi will cost just a bit more than a car service. But I don't have to worry about traffic delays enroute from/to LHR. We will have 3 large pieces of luggage and 3 carry-ons. We can manage all this luggage, but not for a long walk. Can anyone tell me about how many minutes walk it is from the BA baggage claim at Terminal 5 to the HEX boarding platform? Are there elevators available? What about at Paddington- are any stairs or escalators whatsoever involved? It is a direct train from T-5 to Paddington, correct?
From baggage claim to the HEx platforms is around five minutes, provided you don't need to declare anything at Customs! There is a lift - it's the primary way to the train station, and well-signposted. (The airport's operators also own the train service, so they're quite keen to point you in that direction, as opposed to the cheaper but slower Underground.)

The train is direct, and it's always worth looking at this thread to see if there are any promotion codes for pre-booking.

At Paddington, there's a flat route from the Heathrow Express platforms to the taxi queue.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I looked at Addison Lee, but they don't give an price right online and they say they have 2500 minicabs; it appears all they do is call a taxi for you and, with all this luggage, I don't need a minicab.
Addison Lee is a private hire service - aka minicab. Their fleet is comprised entirely of Ford Galaxy MPVs, which should have plenty of space. There's a get a quote link on their homepage: from Paddington to your hotel would cost £11, from Heathrow it'd be £67.50
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
ZRH to LCY at 9 PM

I will be arriving at LCY 9 pm from zurich.

Do I have to pass thru immigration?

How long will a taxi take from the airport to waterloo train station?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Houminer
I will be arriving at LCY 9 pm from zurich.

Do I have to pass thru immigration?

How long will a taxi take from the airport to waterloo train station?

Thanks
Yes.
45 mins-1 hour and 30 quid http://www.londoncityairport.com/ToAndFrom/Taxi.aspx

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Dec 18, 2011 at 7:53 am Reason: added time
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
It'll only take that long at peak times - probably more like 25-35 minutes at 9PM.

It's only 23 minutes by tube (DLR + Jubilee line)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Immigration, on the other hand, will only take a couple of minutes.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Reason077
It'll only take that long at peak times - probably more like 25-35 minutes at 9PM.

It's only 23 minutes by tube (DLR + Jubilee line)
What would you do? I am arriving at LCY and need to get the train to portsmouth from waterloo.
will public transportation really take only 23 minutes?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:02 am

Yes - 23 minutes is realistic.
LCY to Waterloo by DLR then Jubilee Line. Easy and convenient.
The change at Canning Town is straightforward and well sign posted.

The DLR trains run every 10 minutes at that time of the evening, so you should factor in another ten minutes in case you just miss a train.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
The DLR trains run every 10 minutes at that time of the evening, so you should factor in another ten minutes in case you just miss a train.
Indeed: 23 minutes is from the departure of the DLR train from London City Airport to arrival of the Jubilee Line train at Waterloo.

Someone with luggage that isn't manageable on an escalator would also need to allow a few minutes for the following steps:-
  • [*]
  • [*]

So the total time from exiting Customs to National Rail platform level at Waterloo is probably more likely to be about 35 minutes depending on how lucky you are with waiting for DLR/Tube trains - comparable to a taxi, but much cheaper.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:13 pm

Ok, I've just wasted an hour trying to figure out how to get from LGW/STN to Highbury & Islington. Thanks TFL for making this the hardest airport-city link I've tried to figure out.

I'm flying Ryanair to Dublin and am trying to decide between flying out of LGW and STN. They both seem equidistant (in terms of time too) from Highbury but the flight out of STN is 5 quid cheaper (15 GBP vs 20 GBP).

But I can't seem to find any convenient low cost train options to STN. It seems the Stansted express is my only option and that costs ~19 GBP for a single. Greater Anglia runs a train to Liverpool St. which costs 22.50 GBP on NationalRail.co.uk and 27.30 GBP on Greater Anglia's own site (go figure). Through tickets on the Greater Anglia train to Highbury cost 1 pound more. I guess the only cheap option is a bus? But apart from EasyBus at 2-4 quid (it departs from an inconvenient location), those run about 9 pounds as well and then I have to take the tube to Highbury & Islington. Does my analysis seem fair or is there some cheaper option I'm missing?

Gatwick seems like the cheaper and more convenient option to get to even if the Ryanair flight out of LGW is 5 pounds more. I can buy off-peak (after 9:30 am) advance tickets on Southern's website from Victoria to LGW for 3.30-4.95 GBP depending on time. The same tickets on NationalRail.co.uk are 7.50-10GBP for reasons I can't fathom. Through tickets on Southern's website to Highbury & Islington are 19 GBP compared to 3.30-4.95 GBP. For some reason they price at full price. Add in a 2 GBP Tube ride using Oyster to Victoria and I'm looking at like 6-7 quid. Any cheaper option or a way to get a through ticket for the same price?

Based on this, I'm thinking of booking Ryanair out of LGW and taking the Tube to Victoria and connecting to the Southern train to LGW with an advance single ticket. Thoughts?

It's amazing how many different options there are and how expensive most of them are. For example, traveling before 9:30 on Southern to LGW would cost me ~13.5 GBP. With three people traveling that adds up real fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.