Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How many people will a London taxi take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Our family of four with five pieces of luggage will be arriving in LHR.

Will a London taxi fit four people? How many pieces of luggage will they fit?
Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
3 on the seat, another 2 on the jump seats. Luggage could be the problem, as there is no real trunk. The driver can put baggage in the space next to him, and you can squeeze smaller bags around your feet. Drivers are usually v accommodating.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
A typical black cab is licensed to carry up to five passengers. But two of those seats are "fold down" affairs that face backwards. The vehicles have some space for luggage in the front of the cab (there's no front passenger seat). You could fit a couple of suitcases in the back too.

Probably cheaper and more comfortable to pre-arrange a pick up in a van: http://www.addisonlee.com/services/minicabs/
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jib71
A typical black cab is licensed to carry up to five passengers.
But of course during Tube strikes all bets are off.

I think 7 is my record...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I strongly recommend

Ray Skinner
London Transfers
Tel: +44 (0) 7970 577 768
[email protected]
http://www.london-transfers.com

Found him initially via FlyerTalk. Service is excellent and costs about the same as a black cab, perhaps a bit less.

I repeat: Strongly recommended.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:11 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done 3 + 1 in a wheelchair (4 total) + suitcases. The only problem was the fare.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:44 am

Programs: BA
Four passegers will be fine, they all are licenced for five nowadays. The bags can be spread between three places; the trunk (which is quite small), the space alongside the driver, where you can get a couple of large cases at least, and where the one unused rear-facing jump seat in the passenger compartment is.

It is normal for the driver to huff and puff while organising this; they think they get better tips this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.