Wiki Posts
Search

hotel around heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
hotel around heathrow?

Hi, me and my girlfriend are going to stay overnight at Heathrow in June at the end of a backpacking trip. Our flight back to canada on AC leaves at 12h the next day . We were wondering if there's a cheap hotel or hostels around the airport ? Otherwise any suggestions on places to sleep? Maybe somewhere around the AC checkin counters?
Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheap & Heathrow are words that do no got together
Look at wotif.com Select UK - Hearthrow airports. Or try priceline.com or priceline.co.uk
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:15 am

If you're looking for budget accommodation I recommend Travelodge - www.travelodge.co.uk

If you type "Heathrow" into the search box on the site it comes up with five hotels all between 2.5 and 6.6 miles of the airport, you can probably find some more if you look for places like Reading or other nearby towns.

You can get some excellent deals with Travelodge if you book ahead - I've got a room booked at the LGW Travelodge in April for Ł15.

Rooms are small even by European standards, but most properties are fairly new, and the rooms have all the facilities one needs.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Depending on the day of the week, some of the Holiday Inns are cheap. Look at the Ariel for example.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
I would try Priceline. We found the best deal there - 4* Sheraton Skyline for $72 US on 12/31/06. You could go for a lower star level to save even more.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I second the Priceline recommendation. I've almost always been pleased with what I got at LHR for the price.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by jacquesrules
Hi, me and my girlfriend are going to stay overnight at Heathrow in June at the end of a backpacking trip. Our flight back to canada on AC leaves at 12h the next day . We were wondering if there's a cheap hotel or hostels around the airport ? Otherwise any suggestions on places to sleep? Maybe somewhere around the AC checkin counters?
Thanks everyone!
There are actually some cheap(ish) B&B's in the general Slough/Uxbridge/Feltham areas, usually on public transport routes to LHR. Try a google search for "cheap B&B Heathrow" or similar.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:49 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by rfrost
I second the Priceline recommendation. I've almost always been pleased with what I got at LHR for the price.

Another occasion when posting the exact date might have helped. If its not Ascot Week or Wimbledon bid US$60 upward for a 3 Star on Priceline.com, if its either Ascot or Wimbledon you might have to start around US$90. For an indication of likely prices go to the UK site: www.hotelscomparison.com but be careful with additional taxes etc.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:05 am

If you are lucky and get the Holiday Inn Ariel on Priceline (or one of several other hotels in the same area), you can take the public bus for free to/from the airport. Some other hotels require that you either use the Hoppa bus (at 3 pounds per person per trip) or take a taxi, and public transit is very hard to arrange.

Depending how early your flight is, it might be worthwhile to stay in central London on the Piccadilly Line - for example at the Globetrotters hostel or the Piccadilly Hostel.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WillTravel
If you are lucky and get the Holiday Inn Ariel on Priceline (or one of several other hotels in the same area), you can take the public bus for free to/from the airport. Some other hotels require that you either use the Hoppa bus (at 3 pounds per person per trip) or take a taxi, and public transit is very hard to arrange.
Note, I understand (second hand info) that the Hoppa is now Ł4 per person each way. That's an extra Ł16 onto your hotel bill and I know i've booked the Ariel for about Ł35 in the past direct off the holiday inn website!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Note, I understand (second hand info) that the Hoppa is now Ł4 per person each way.
Unfortunately, this is quite true.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone!
nothin's gonna beat the price of bunkin in front of the AC check in counter. Just bag it there, and tell the folks you want to be first in line to Yellowknife, or wherever or for volunteer list.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Wow

Wow thanks for all the suggestions!
I looked on priceline uk and Traveloge M4 West is 15 pounds for the night we need. So we'll go ahead for that one! Anyone know if its possible to walk? we just hope it's not on a non-pedestrian highway.
Thanks yall!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:11 pm

Wow thanks for all the suggestions!
I looked on priceline uk and Traveloge M4 West is 15 pounds for the night we need. So we'll go ahead for that one! Anyone know if its possible to walk? we just hope it's not on a non-pedestrian highway.
Thanks yall!
From what I remember, it would be extremely difficult to walk through the tunnel that separates Heathrow from the rest of civilization.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by WillTravel
From what I remember, it would be extremely difficult to walk through the tunnel that separates Heathrow from the rest of civilization.
I've been told it's theoretically possible but against the rules. If anyone sees you they have plenty of time to catch you while you're in the tunnel with nowhere to escape. When they got rid of pedestrian access to the north side of the airport they made bus rides free from the airport to its vicinity so that airport workers would still have a free way to get in.

If you absolutely want to walk out of the airport, it should be theoretically possible to take the free HEX to T4, follow the walkway to the Hilton, and walk out from there along the roads on the south side - but it would be a heck of a long walk and, other than the Hilton which is way above your price range, you won't be near anything useful. Or you might be able to take a car rental/remote parking shuttle to that lot and walk out from there on the north side. I don't consider either of these to be a practical option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.