Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Airport tax from Feb 1st - What's your airline doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:33 am
Original Poster

We're only 2 - 3 weeks from the new airport taxes in the UK which affect all flights taking off from UK airports from Feb 1st, wether pre booked or not.

What's your airline done to assist or inform?

Delta haven't told me anything so far - I fly out on Feb 1st LGW - JFK
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by M_at
We're only 2 - 3 weeks from the new airport taxes in the UK which affect all flights taking off from UK airports from Feb 1st, wether pre booked or not.

What's your airline done to assist or inform?

Delta haven't told me anything so far - I fly out on Feb 1st LGW - JFK
Most of them havent decided yet, needless to say Ryanair have decided and if you havent paid in advance you wont be getting on the plane.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Link to BBC article and a post about it on my blog.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the UK Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: US Silver
I'm flying out from MAN on the 4th. I don't mind paying it (well, I do, but you know...) but I only purchased the ticket last week and I know it's not included on the taxes page, which I really think it should be. I doubt they'll (usair) will absorb it. I assume that I'll be able to pay it at the airport on my return - I can't imagine they'd pull a Ryanair thing, (paying in advance), at least I hope not, because I'll be out of contact for the next 3 weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
BA are absorbing the increase for tickets purchased before the announcement date but for flights after the effective date of the increase.

They haven't done much right in the last few months, but this is one thing that is right.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please follow this thread in the UK Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
OK but consider that this affects people not travelling to or from the UK - Heathrow is Europe's largest international hub and the busiest International airport. There will be a lot of people transferring through the LHR who will have to pay this tax even though they aren't coming here!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: US Silver
Originally Posted by M_at
OK but consider that this affects people not travelling to or from the UK - Heathrow is Europe's largest international hub and the busiest International airport. There will be a lot of people transferring through the LHR who will have to pay this tax even though they aren't coming here!
Actually, thats not entirely true. According to HM Customs

3.4 Transit passengers
Any APD liability applies to the journey as a whole. When an aircraft makes a stop “en route” and passengers do not change aircraft then no additional duty becomes due for the leg of the journey immediately after the stop.

top ^
3.5 Connecting flights
A passenger who has a ticket is not a chargeable passenger on the second or subsequent flight of his journey if that flight and the previous flight are connected. Different criteria govern whether the second or subsequent flight on a journey may be treated as connected, depending on whether that flight is to a domestic or international destination. These rules can be found in section 4.

Of course, there's a lot of "wiggle" room in there!
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: UA
Does anyone know what AA or CO are doing about the tax? As I booked the flights through expedia I wonder if they will pick up the tab?!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
Does anyone know what AA or CO are doing about the tax? As I booked the flights through expedia I wonder if they will pick up the tab?!
I dunno. I'm flying out of BRS on CO on 28 Feb and was not charged the tax at booking. I presume they won't impose a surcharge on inbound-to-UK flights... but this could concievably a situation where, at departure, they ask you for your credit card at check-in to cover the new GBP70 fee. It would be nice if the airlines absorb it but I don't think they're obligated to.

I don't think I'll be flying into.out of the UK again for the foreseeable future, though, unless I have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.