Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhilH
Unfortunately not, but maybe I should ask! I'm just a very satisfied customer.
And I hope I haven't undermined your welcome advice here. I've been extremely pleased that you've been able to balance MrLapLap's experiences with your own.

As a client, your outlook, personality and expectations are going to hugely affect the outcome of any dealings with this company. If you are confident and sure of yourself, I fully believe you can come out with an excellent product and a very good deal.

If you're not, you may likely still get a great result by going in with a SO who is (as long as they're with you from the start). And document all your choices/agreements!

Otherwise, (intake of breath 'plumber style') I'd advise against the idea. It'll cost ya!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ozzie
I use Tom James in the UK who also come to visit you at your work or office. Their cheapest suits cost arouynd Ł700 and are 50% hand stiched. Over 100 hours hand stitching in each one of these.
I've used Tom James too. Suit wasn't too bad, but I felt the whole thing was slightly pushy - Mine went through a whole thing about "sharing in his business plan" and "his aggressive growth targets for the next 24 months" - frankly I wanted a new whistle, not to have an education in the economics of tailoring......

That said, the suit is a very good fit, and I reputedly got a fabric upgrade because mine had been decommisioned...

They are somewhat persistent in their follow up - I get a regular call or e-mail asking when I want to "assess my wardrobe"....
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi - I feel awful about Laplap's experience - the same almost happened to my parents but not quite...

I actually went to Raja when my parents were in Hong Kong based on the start of this thread as my Dad wanted a Hong Kong suit. So I took my parents along. Before I went I asked my dad what he wanted. "One suit" he said. My mum "I'd quite like a suit but I'm a bit scared". Ugh.

The sales guys were pretty "good". Ours was Richard, the one I liked most was the big Sikh although I didn't get his name. They deconstructed my father's current suit, split my parents up so I could only watch over one at a time and when their semi charm didn't work, a young guy - son of Mr Raja - came in with the hard sell.

If I hadn't been there I don't know what they would have come away with. As it was my dad ordered a suit and two shirts (to see what they were like) and after he was finished my mum decided she would like a suit too. When we went back for the fitting my dad was persuaded to get a sports jacket and trousers. They seemed almost psychic finding exactly the check he likes without him asking for it.

My mum was almost persuaded to get a second suit too but could not find the shade of red she wanted. They continued to try and sell more until I said very loudly "If you stop now then I'll bring them back next year - if you keep on going on like this then you'll never see us again".

They stopped.

That night my dad felt sick - he was basically upset by the amount of money he'd spent despite the fact he wanted/needed these (Scottish...). I think it was concern that they wouldn't turn out right.

However - my dad was very happy with both his purchases (ecstatic with the shirts - I got him 5 more for his birthday!) and my mum was delighted with hers. What is also worth pointing out is that the tailors (the sales people are NOT the tailors - they are Chinese guys - the sales guys are Indian) clearly took pride in their work - where they thought things looked better they fought for it (my parents both agreed they were right in hindsight) and I genuinely believe they care about the quality of their product.

It is still too early to see how the clothes sit after travel/wear but no problems so far.

Prices (we didn't negotiate hard):

Mum's two piece suit HK$ 4,300 (US$ 550, Ł315)
Dad's two piece suit HK$ 3,250 (US$ 420, Ł240)
Shirts (each) HK$350 (US$ 45, Ł25)
Sports jacket plus trousers HK$ 3,172 (US$ 410, Ł230)

Plus they threw in a couple of ties and a silk scarf for free.

These are clearly a lot cheaper than the London prices.

I'd suggest that it is not worth paying extra for poorer service out of the UK. There are many places in the UK you can get decent suits for not far off their UK prices (a few have been suggested and even Austin Reed's made to measure service is pretty bang on for not too much more)

Before you go near one of these guys know exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay and DO NOT DEVIATE. They sense weakness and pounce. NEVER GET MORE THAN ONE SUIT MADE THE FIRST TIME YOU GO TO A TAILOR - TO DO SO IS MAD.

I'll also make one other recommendation in Hong Kong.

William Cheng & Son
8th Floor Han Hing Mansion
38 Hankow Road
T.S.T.
Kowloon
852 2366 0709

This was suggested to me by a colleague who'd tried a few tailors and said they all seemed okay until you started moving. Cheng's was recommended to him by a friend and he said their suits "at least touched the right bits". I have had two made here and they are not perfect but are fine. I was even complemented by a friend who is a hobbyist seamstress - she described my black herringbone as looking like a "well made, crisp, new suit".

The cost (just over two years ago) was a smidge over Ł200 per suit (with two pairs of trousers) and I wear each once or twice per week. They are not yet looking tired. When I went in I said "I'd like a suit" and that was what he tried to sell me. He suggested two pairs of trousers and once I was fitted and happy I asked for him to make another. No problem - no pushing or trying to make me get other stuff. Each took a couple of weeks with two fittings.

For Ł200 - a bargain but these are by no means Saville Row.

Also when I was getting measured there was an American in getting measured for a white tuxedo for a stag do. He didn't want his normal tailor to make it as the guy was quite pricey (high chance it would get trashed in one night) so HIS TAILOR had told him to go to this guy!!!

I hope this helps - Hong Kong suits are exactly that - cheaper (and better) in Hong Kong. If you want a suit in the UK, I'd find a UK based tailor as YOU KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE...

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the way several people keep going on about "its cheaper than the UK". In terms of suits, especially bespoke, almost EVERY SINGLE PLACE ON EARTH is cheaper than the UK, that is not an achievement. The balance is cheap price and good quality, which has as much to do with the punter knowing what he wants before he goes in.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:26 pm

Oh well - my point was it seems that if you get a Raja suit in the Uk it is likely to be of poorer quality than those bought in Hong Kong as they can't fit it properly and it apparently costs twice the price.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I am very happy with my M&S Autograph suits. A fraction of the price and excellent quality.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:05 am

You must be a normal shape. I am weird...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Blue
Thought I'd add my experiences to this thread having found it through Google while checking out Raja Fashions ahead of my first-ever visit to them today. I found the discussion above quite helpful so hope this will similarly help others.

They visit Glasgow, and presumably other regional UK cities, 4 times a year, and had set up shop in a nice suite at the Hilton. We were seen by Vishal, who was very laid back and not at all pushy as others had warned on other websites. He asked what I was looking for and gave advice on what sorts of suits would suit me best, cut, vents etc. We were given a few fabric books to choose from at different price points. We were unimpressed by the fabrics that came in at Ł400, but did like one at Ł750. Given I was only buying something to wear to weddings etc I decided this was too much to spend. We tried to negotiate him down but he wouldn't budge, only offering one free tailored shirt. I decided it was a bit rich for me - not necessarily poor value, just more than I was looking to spend. So we left empty handed in the end, which was a bit of a shame. Had I liked any of the lower-end fabrics I would probably have gone ahead with it.

Also, if you do go down this line don't expect the suit to fit perfectly first time - it will takes a couple of adjustments over a period of a few months, given the way they work.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: BA
I went for one of their cheaper suits about 4 years ago and while it fit well, it didn't last as long as my off the rack suits. I did, however, visit them again last week while they were in London to place an order for 6 tailored shirts +1 "for free" for Ł400. This is my second order of six with them. The shirts are quite good and the price keeps going down with each subsequent order.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I don't have another bespoke tailor to compare to, but I am quite happy with my experience with Raja. For the pushy sales people, it is fun to push back at them also .

I bought 2 Zenga cloth suits from them last year and they threw in 5 shirts for me. They sent one suit and one shirt first to allow me to check the fit. I went back the next time they were in town to discuss the alterations. Since the shirt needed to be altered, they just told me to keep it (even though it wasn't an ideal fit). I received my shirts and suits back from them and was really happy with them.

The quality of the shirts is going to depend on the quality of the fabric that you ask for. Obviously there will be a difference in cost. I got a couple of lesser quality shirts and they will likely wear a bit, but I have some other nicer ones, and they are in great condition. My shirts are washed in our washing machine, hung dry, and then pressed by our cleaning lady.

I am actually so happy with the shirts that I went back today and bought 20 shirts. I chose only the higher quality fabric ones and am asking them to make a couple of "casual fit" shirts as well. I will update when I receive them.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:41 am

Angry Unhappy chappy

I don't wish to be pedantic and note that many posts relating to this "tailor" are several years old but I am in the middle of trying to sert out problems with Raja.
I ordered two suits in Glasgow (Hilton) and all seemed to be well. I didn't feel that a tailor was starting my suits as I was leaving (there advert) but hey, what ever.
I was informed that the suits would be four weeks, and one would be delivered for a try-on. Nothing was mentioned about what to do if there was a problem. (Mr Naďve).
Five weeks later I contacted their Director asking where were my suits. NO REPLY
One week later, I sent another e-mail, same message this time asking for action or refund.
One week later e-mail comes to me apologising that delay was because of Chinese New Year, and first suit on its way.
Suit arrived two months from ordering and quality abysmal! First it doesn't fit hardly anywhere, the stitching is very poor and other such issues.
Now unfortunately I didn't go to Hong Kong like many other respondents here but I just know that I could have had a pair of good quality suits ready to go within a week or so at Slaters Menswear in town and paid much less. I assumed I was going to get a much better product/deal.
So beware if you are considering doing what I did. Get the details sorted out before you part with your cash.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Interesting Eddy.

Sounds like Raja have been 'enhancing' their service as well.

I've seen the ads loads of times in the Evening Standard (well the same ad anyway, with the cheesy comments about the 'suits in accounts' etc) but never been tempted.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Blimey - is this some sort of record?

Two 4 - 5 year "bumps"

Hats off to the search engine I guess.....^
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good Lord, are they still in business?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Good Lord, are they still in business?
Very much so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.