Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
LapLap

I know a very good Japanese tailor who is based in London. He will travel to your home or office and does a European tour visiting his mainly ex-pat Japanese clients.

His suits are very good and he is obviously used to dealing with the physique of the Oriental man (I am Chinese). He is not as cheap as Raja but I like the convenience of home visits. I've not tried his shirts but those are very expensive at £90-£200 per shirt.

Mr Yamanaka can be contacted at www.mylondontailor.com
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ouch!

I guess he didn’t have the rotweiller with him (me).

Just spoke to MrLapLap, he’s rather upset. He had his appointment, it lasted all of 15 minutes. He found the whole process really hurried and extremely intimidating.

Alas, he ended up purchasing 2 suits (he only wanted one) which along with 3 shirts has ended up costing a cool £1,200.

Men!!!

I’ve just been on the phone to try and cancel one of those suits… I’ll post here what happens.

Is there any way we could cancel this order - any rules on cooling off periods for instance?

I'm wondering if I should send him to somewhere like http://www.addisonsteele.com/ instead.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
LapLap, YGPM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm off to the Hotel now to see what I can do, armed with a bit of Trading Standards advice from PhilH (Thanks!).

Could have been worse - they were trying to get MrLapLap to part with £1,700. At least he was able to refuse that... but that minor victory left him susceptible to the £1,200 charge.

I'll report back when I get home later.

Wish me luck!!!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I bought 3 suits from Raja about 18 mths ago - the first suit arrived in about 4 weeks and the fitting was awful - I then had to wait until they were back in London (about 3 weeks) to go and have another fitting - they then sent the suit back to Hong Kong to be altered and it arrived back with me a further 4 weeks later (with admittedly a very good fit).

Haven't been overly impressed with the quality of them - the lining came undone very quickly on 2 of the suits.

Coincidentally, I have since started using Addison & Steele and have been very impressed. For the same price as Raja, their suits are much better quality and it is much easier to arrange fittings. You also get a much more personal service - my experience at Raja left a lot to be desired - you were quickly measured and they ushered you in and out of the hotel room they operate from.

I now have 4 suits from A&S (including a morning suit) and have enjoyed the experience each time. Also have a number of shirts from them - they headline at £75 each but if you haggle a bit when you buy a couple of suits, they'll either throw it in free or reduce the price to under £50 - ie same price as Thomas Pink et al. A&S will either visit you at home/office or you can visit their "shop" just behind Oxford Circus.

Lastly - I wouldn't pay too much attention to the headline pricing of Raja - as some have seen, as soon as you choose a half decent cloth, ask to have the suit lined, add a couple of ticket pockets etc ... you soon rack up a hefty bill. If your suit attracts the attention of Customs on the way in to the country they'll add their 17.5% as well.

In summary, there is no way I'd use Raja again - very happy with A&S!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My PM from PhilH turned out to be eerily prophetic :-: :-: :-:

They did call back, alas they called when I was on the underground and spoke to MrLapLap… call was completely inconclusive. Against their wishes I went to their suites, spoke to the big man (apparently, very different when I was there) and he kindly took off approx £500 from the total charge for 2 suits (although I think we have forfeited the shirts ).

I did notice that in the evening, most of the clientele were arriving with pit-bull-partners in tow. And I learnt from a friend of MrLapLap that he’d had similar treatment from an English tailor on Jermyn Street (‘bullied’ into buying two suits spending way more than he could afford and ending up in the street afterwards feeling sick) so I am going to come to the conclusion that this is standard practice amongst a certain kind of tailor when confronted with clients in a ‘vulnerable’ position.

I expected to pay up to about £400 for the suit we were after, so I don’t think we came out with a deal. Even with the discount, we ended up paying over £300 for a second suit we hadn’t wanted (in a colour we don’t even like very much) with the wedding jacket having 2 buttons instead of the sought after 3

As long as you’re not the walkover in this situation that my SO is, the price you will pay here seems to be pretty similar to Addison Steele (ignore what they advertise!)
Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
LapLap, I'm glad you got the significant discount that I suggested, which was entirely warranted in this case.

However, I would be careful in some of your comments - there is a fine line between being a walkover in terms of negotiating a price for what you intend to purchase and taking personal responsibility for your own choices. Even if your fiance is a bit of a push over as you suggest, it is still his responsibility that he walked in there, order two suits and chose the colour and button style that he did. If you are not now satisfied with your fiance's particular choices, you can't blame this on the tailor!

I made representations above about the quality of Raja's suits, which are outstanding in my experience. Both the suits and shirts that I bought are still in fantastic condition, despite constant wear (i.e. every business day) since I bought them in May 2004. They will not need to be replaced for some considerable time yet. Therefore my investment has paid, and will continue to pay, handsome dividends. I am sure when your fiance receives his suits (subject to the potential and entirely reasonable need for a second fitting) you will find this to be the case also.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by theworld
I got the chance to meet the guy when I was in HK over Xmas. He's built up a successful (sp?) business over the years. However now his interests lie in real estate. The guy has a bit of a reputation, but don't want to go into that.

When in HK I used Model Fashions (website details at home, and can't find their details on Google at present) for the some shirts. Their location has slipped my mind at the moment! They were pretty good. They were recommended by a friend.

Another friend over there uses http://www.jantzentailor.com/index.html.

I normally use a Bangkok tailor called Vercases (http://www.theversaces.com/), who I think are great.

I use Bangkok got a wool/cashmere suit and 5 handmade shirts there last OCt and all still wearing well, was around £120 I recall

Getting measured in the UK and then getting the suits shipped over from the far east, I've done that once, and wouldn't recommend. When the suits got delivered the fitting was not good. I had to send them back to be altered. Whenever I get my suits made in Bangkok I normally have three fittings to get it right. This is a bit tricky when they are mail order.

Shirts are a different matter though, they are normally done right the first time round (or so I have found).
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhilH
LapLap, I'm glad you got the significant discount that I suggested, which was entirely warranted in this case.

However, I would be careful in some of your comments - there is a fine line between being a walkover in terms of negotiating a price for what you intend to purchase and taking personal responsibility for your own choices. Even if your fiance is a bit of a push over as you suggest, it is still his responsibility that he walked in there, order two suits and chose the colour and button style that he did. If you are not now satisfied with your fiance's particular choices, you can't blame this on the tailor!
Alas, you need to be a certain strong minded individual in this situation (and MrLapLap is extremely good at holding his own in other situations, believe me!) his regret is that he wasn't offered a choice. We're talking 'sleight of hand' here - when he was asked if he liked a shade of blue BAM! that was it, no chance to look at anything else (he was only ever shown 2 swatches). Nothing was transparent, he was never told at any moment what the cost of any of the supposed choices were - he was just given a price at the end. The poor guy felt violated... he'd felt very strongly about getting 3 buttons and never got the opportunity to actually request them (me?

I'm posting this as I realise that many people would be too embarassed to write about a similar experience here (or anywhere else).

I didn't realise I would have to hold MrLapLap's hand on this occasion, but if I had gone with him from the start, I know it would have all been VERY different. All I'm saying is, if you haven't got bags of confidence and/or money to lose, for goodness sake.... TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU!!! These guys are VERY slick!!!

I'm looking forward to adding a glowing account of the final conclusion (i.e. the actual suits - and I do expect a second fitting will be needed) because, ultimately, that's all I care about.

And his has turned out to be a valuable experience - better to find out about MrLapLap's unexpected shortcomings now rather than later .

I'd also like to add, that my own personal experience with these guys has been very good. On every level.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:43 am

When SWMBO & I were in HKG over Xmas & New Year we were both measured and had initial fitting for cashmere topcoats manufactured by Royal Regency who are in the Intercontinental shopping arcade.

Both arrived within 7 days of our return and are truely superb! ^

We both had to pay customs duty...on the 'ticket price' as declared by the shippers...the carriers told me around 60% of their packages pass through without and we were unlucky both to have been so selected.

Royal Regency also do a 'visiting tailor' service in the UK...which I may well make use of.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Thanks PhilH :-:

If I sent MrLapLap to Mumbai or Bangkok for a suit - he'd KILL me.

The convenience of being able to get measurements (and even alterations) done in London is a fabulous draw - and knowing they can do this within 3 weeks has been a huge relief.

I was not relishing trying to find a decent suit for a wide shouldered Japanese guy on Britain's High Streets!!!
I have no idea how much Raja are charging but if you live in London, which i am assuming you do, you can get a made to measure suit from roderick charles in jermyn street for about 450. Got mine 6 years ago and its still my favourite suit.

If you have any costs for Raja i'd be interested. There was also an article on them in one of the broadsheets a couple of years ago. He did this but was disappointed in the suit. The details he had asked for didn't come through. ie the number of buttons on the suit. he asked for 3 he got 2.

thanks,
paul.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by paulyd
I have no idea how much Raja are charging but if you live in London, which i am assuming you do, you can get a made to measure suit from roderick charles in jermyn street for about 450. Got mine 6 years ago and its still my favourite suit.

If you have any costs for Raja i'd be interested. There was also an article on them in one of the broadsheets a couple of years ago. He did this but was disappointed in the suit. The details he had asked for didn't come through. ie the number of buttons on the suit. he asked for 3 he got 2.

thanks,
paul.
I read that article, I think it was in the Sunday Times Style Supplement. On the Raja website they have cut outs of loads of the press they have generated. Don't know if the Sunday Times article is in it.

Also for price reference, in September I got two suits and four shirts made by Versaces in Bangkok for about £380.

Also, could people give me details of tailors in Mumbai? Parents are going end of March and I'm trying to get my padre to sort himeself out with a decent suit.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
Baron Kay's in Hong Kong is pretty good as far as Hong Kong tailors are concerned. They will cost more than Sam's, Raja, etc., but I have found their quality and workmanship to be much better. They have a wide selection of Loro Piana fabrics, which I find to be of good quality.

On thing that I can't stand about the suits I have had made in HK are the horse hair linings used for the structure of the suit. I like soft sillouettes, but not matter how many times I tell the tailors, it always ends up being stiff. Does anyone who knows more about bespoke clothing know why this is?

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Thailand?

Finally, this guy seems like a good tailor. As opposed to the tailors in Hong Kong, this tailor's suit actually looks good. Unfortunately, his prices are sky high. Have a look: EnglishCut.com
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Angry £1,200 is not enough for a 3 piece from Raja!

Report:

Got the suit back on the 21st.

Then the final part of the sorry story clicked into place (I'd directed my focus on damage limitation and hadn't understood the whole story).

Turns out that when MrLapLap (who went in wearing a 3 piece) requested a 3 piece from them for the wedding, the guy told him he couldn't afford it!!!!

And this to someone they initally extracted £1,200 from!!!

Now in this situation I would have turned and walked out - but MrLapLap felt pressured to continue as I'd sent him there and not knowing if there were any alternative options.

I've already commented on the fact that he bought 2 suits (when we only wanted the one) but he was given a couple of swatches. So when he did get the suit, the initial reaction was that the quality of the fabric was inferior to that shown to him. In fact, MrLapLap took out a pair of his old school trousers and I had to admit - yep, practically the same fabric! (This is one thing I can absolutely trust MrLapLap to be correct about).

Fit is very good. Stitching...hmmm, 'seems' good, but there's a little too much tapering on some of the seams, just as if the tension of the sewing machine was ever so slightly wrong.

In all - I feel that MrLapLap got the bare minimum possible you could give someone as a £350 suit for them to be satisfied. He's got his money's worth (just), but it's basically a highstreet quality suit with better tailoring. Not exactly a bargain.

After all that, what he's got will be good for interviews and for when he begins his carreer in the UK, but it's certainly inappropriate for a wedding.

MrLapLap will be wearing the badly fitting suit he already had and he won't be wearing his new suit. Although uncomfortable, it does look very smart.

Perhaps this wouldn't happen to you, but these tailors got hold of MrLapLap when he was in a particularly vulnerable position and bullied him into making a completely inappropriate purchase (and spend far more than he could afford to). Obviously, the Raja guy is an expert salesman, and I retain a slither of a degree of respect for his methods - much as I dislike them.
But I'm also angry with him for taking such a bite out of our wedding budget and for making MrLapLap so miserable - so I certainly won't be using them again, or recommending them, and I urge you to keep your own wits about you should you choose to do so.

For the record:
Initial price 2 suits and some shirts: £1,200 (initial quote of £1,700 refused)
After my going in, reduced to 2 suits & 1 shirt: £700 (EDIT: 3 shirts in random colours)
- suit material agreed (by swatch) was probably changed, but no mention ever made of this.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 27, 2006 at 5:35 am
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:22 am

LapLap, sorry to hear about the Raja service you recieved, not good, especially when you are talking about £1,000 of money. Do agree about the guy, he has made lots of money and is a good sales man.

In another forum someone else was mentioning tailor made suits in HK and they linked this thread from flyertalk going back to 2003. I think its an interesting read if someone is considering buying a tailor made suit from the far east (namely post 12):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/printthread.php?t=302783

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.