Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Recommendations restaurants for dinner - pre theatre vs post theatre?

Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Interested in recommendations for restaurants for dinner for pre-theatre. How much time do you allot at these restaurants if you have theatre tickets at 730pm? Do most eat before the theatre or after.

Interested in your recommendations and comments. Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:07 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I like eating pre-theatre but I believe some restarurants will allow you to eat you appetizer and main course pre-theatre, and your dessert and coffee/tea post theatre.

I like Asia de Cuba for pre-theatre as they have a Ł20.00 bento box dinner which is generous in portion, and also includes a full dessert (usually 1 dessert shared between 2 ppl, but for single diners you still get a choice of 1 full dessert). The food is actually quite good and there is no quality change between ordering a la carte during regular meal service and the bento box during pre-theatre. I usually make reservations for 6:00pm sharp to be done for 7:00pm which gives me just enough time to sneak into my seat just before the curtain rises.

Both Axis and Indigo in the One Aldwych Hotel are also very nice for pre-theatre dinner, or post-theatre supper, as I feel they represent excellent value for money. If you are seeing the Lion King or the Producers, the Rat Pack, Fame, etc, the hotel is VERY conveniently located.

Otherwise, Satsuma or Busaba Eathai are fine for SoHo theatres provided you get in just before 6:00pm or else you will end up waiting quite a bit.

These are some of my favourite places. I am sure there are many many more hidden gems to be revealed by other posters. Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:09 am

sggolf, do you know what theatre you will be attending? Also, what kind of food do you like?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Attending the Producers at Theatre Royale, Drury Lane on a Sat night. I like Chinese, Japanese, French, American, Italian, just not real spicy or seafood. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Well, I know it is a bit cliched but I am a big fan of the Ivy. Pretty good location for most theatres. Also Masala Zone and J Sheeky but probably not great bets for you if you dont like spicy or seafood. Ivy will have a better selection. On another thread people were suggesting high tea pre theatre and dinner after. In that case, Fortnum and Mason for tea and the Ivy after would work. Ivy is open pretty late for the after theatre crowd.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sggolf
Attending the Producers at Theatre Royale, Drury Lane on a Sat night. I like Chinese, Japanese, French, American, Italian, just not real spicy or seafood.
Two suggestions, then, out of hundreds of restaurants in the vicinity. For Italian, Orso. For American, Joe Allen. These two long-established places are sister restaurants that share the basement of the same building, even though their entrances are on different streets. Both are less than 5 minutes walk from the theatre.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:47 am

I too was going to suggest Orso. I have to say, I always find the food at Joe Allen to be disappointing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.