Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Repairs in Central London?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Luggage Repairs in Central London?

Can anyone recommend somewhere for luggage repairs in central London? My suit carrier needs a new zip...

When UA break something, they subcontract to a company called Express Luggage in Teddington (020 8614 8034). They collect, fix and deliver your bag back to you in around 24 hours. I'm waiting for them to give me a price, but I'm guessing that the courier part of the charge will be more expensive than the repair, so wondered whether anyone had a tip for somewhere in the West End?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:07 am
Suspended

There is a marvellous shop opposite South Kensington station - I think its called Barnards II - its on Old Brompton Road, and they are very helpful and know what they are talking about.

Alternatively, these people may be of use:

http://www.baggageservices.com/welcome.htm
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The luggage department of Selfridges does repairs - don't know whether they'd be right for your problem, but if you're in the area it might be worth trying.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:36 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The luggage department of Selfridges does repairs - don't know whether they'd be right for your problem, but if you're in the area it might be worth trying.
Harvey Nicks is an authorised Samsonite repair outlet though I think they do other repairs also. I don't know where you take the luggage as it wasn't on the floor where luggage is sold...
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
I've used a luggage store around the corner from So. Kensington tube station, on Old Brompton Road, probably the one Apudme mentions. Same day repair, and no problems with their work.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Any more recent thoughts on this? My wheel just broke on a year-old TravelPro suitcase, and I'm staying in Kilburn for the next few days, so if anyone has any NWish London suggestions that would be particularly helpful.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Bumping an old thread. The rubber "tire" portion of one of my rollers on a Samsonite split and dragged off while I was in London this week.

Is Barnards II still around? I can't find a website and no one answers the phone when I call the number listed on some business directories.

I guess I'll try calling Selfridges or Harvey Nichols when I get a chance.

Are there any other recommendations for Central London?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just as an update for the old thread, as I've made some phone calls: Selfridges in London doesn't do in-house luggage repair and for Samsonite repairs they just ship off to the UK repair center, so that's not useful for visitors who aren't on lengthy stays. Harvey Nichols used to have luggage repair, but they don't now (they may not even have a luggage department anymore - not clear on that). I guess I'll swing by Barnards II to check it out, even though no one picks up the phone.

EDIT: Barnards II is long gone. There is another luggage repair shop near the old location on Old Brompton Road near South Kensington tube stop, but they basically told me I should ship it off to the Samsonite repair center because their repairs - even for the rubber on the roller - would be much higher cost, and that they weren't sure about how quickly they could fix it. If they don't want my money, so be it. I guess I'll just try to limp home with the bag in its current condition and try to repair it in the US.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:44 am

Luggage Repairs in London

I can wholeheartedly recommend ALBA Luggage at 136 Marylebone Rd NW1 5PH. near Baker St tube.

They have been repairing my family's luggage for over twenty years.

They have repaired my Samsonite and Rimowa cases many times, and often immediately without me having to come back to pick it up.

Good knowledgable service, they sell pukka luggage too.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:03 pm

Any more recent feedback?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by lfc84
Any more recent feedback?
We used Alba (practically next door to Baker St tube as per the above post) a couple of months ago after the TSA decided that ripping open a zip was a better way to get into a suitcase than opening a lock.

They replaced the zip surprisingly cheaply and it looks as good as new.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:22 pm

I used Alba over the weekend and I'm happy to recommend them
Old May 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
I used Alba in May 2016 to get them to replace a zipper pull (zipper handle) on my luggage that had broken off and was missing.
When I went to pick it up, they had done the replacement so well I couldn't tell the difference between the old one on the left and the new one on the right.

They have a big shop near baker street tube (metro) station so it's also easy to get to and from.
Alba's website is here:

https://www.albaluggage.com
Old May 27, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've used Alba for a warrant repair on my Briggs and Reilly suitcase. Other than their mild incomprehension of how it had got so beaten up so quickly, they fixed it faster than expected and to a high standard. Since it's a Briggs and Reilly with their awesome warranty, it was even free
Old May 27, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alba are good but don't do all brands (Mandarina Duck for one).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.