Wiki Posts
Search

London Underground strike planned for October 5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

London Underground strike planned for October 5

Is a strike like this limited to 24 hours or is it likely the employees could decide to stay off the job longer than a 24 hour period?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Under UK law it would be illegal to strike beyond the notified period, so workers could not arbitrarily decide simply to stay away longer. However, the reality is that trains will probably be in the wrong place when the strike ends, so there may be a few hours more partial disruption whilst the system recovers. This would manifest as an extension of journey times rather than entire tube lines remaining closed.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A lot of the LU strikes have been resolved before they've happened recently, as well, so keep an eye on the news, and don't necessarily fear the worst!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by stut
A lot of the LU strikes have been resolved before they've happened recently, as well, so keep an eye on the news, and don't necessarily fear the worst!
Not just recently - that's been the modus operandi for years!

Whilst it's worth taking note of a threatened Tube strike, I'd say it's generally not taken all that seriously (by Londoners at least) until a few days beforehand.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Under UK law it would be illegal to strike beyond the notified period, so workers could not arbitrarily decide simply to stay away longer. However, the reality is that trains will probably be in the wrong place when the strike ends, so there may be a few hours more partial disruption whilst the system recovers. This would manifest as an extension of journey times rather than entire tube lines remaining closed.
Thanks. Typically how long does it take for the system to recover to normal and get the trains back in place? My flight arrives in the early afternoon from GIB and I was hoping to the take the Piccadilly line.

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Whilst it's worth taking note of a threatened Tube strike, I'd say it's generally not taken all that seriously (by Londoners at least) until a few days beforehand.
That's good to know. If the strike were cancelled, how soon could the next scheduled 24 hour strike be if they decided once again to walk off the job?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:08 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Analise
Thanks. Typically how long does it take for the system to recover to normal and get the trains back in place? My flight arrives in the early afternoon from GIB and I was hoping to the take the Piccadilly line.
You'd have no issue with that - I doubt you'd notice any reduction in service. We're talking about 2-3 hours most likely from startup, so the only real affected time is morning rush hour depending on exactly when the strike times are.

That's good to know. If the strike were cancelled, how soon could the next scheduled 24 hour strike be if they decided once again to walk off the job?
Under UK law, the union must give 14 days notice of any strike. There's no minimum period between strikes, so the union could give notice today for 4th October, and another notice tomorrow for 5th.

Stoppages are also not necessarily 24 hours - they could be more or less, and to a certain extent it's more problematical to London Underground to have staff walk out for a few hours in the middle of the day.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Is a strike like this limited to 24 hours or is it likely the employees could decide to stay off the job longer than a 24 hour period?
Bear in mind that even though it's a "24 hour" strike they don't usually strike from midnight to midnight. It is often something like 6pm on day 1 to 6pm on day 2.

In effect that means it will last longer because a striking driver can't just abandon their train full of passengers at 6pm on the dot. They will most likely terminate their train at the end of the line/depot access siding when passing it before 6pm on day 1.

On day 2, assuming drivers turn up at 6pm the trains are now sitting in depots and getting them out and running takes a while, so you won't see those trains in central London for some time. Some lines won't bother re-starting a full service that evening because they'll have missed rush hour anyway. So all in all this can mean the effect of a strike is from T-2ish hours on day 1 right through to close of traffic on day 2.

That said, strikes are often called off and even the ones that go ahead don't always cause the complete shut-down of lines as not all drivers will strike (some not in a union, some in a different union, some strike-breakers). If there are enough to run a service they will do so. Check a couple of days before and see if it is still on and what the expected disruption is likely to be.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
Bear in mind that even though it's a "24 hour" strike they don't usually strike from midnight to midnight. It is often something like 6pm on day 1 to 6pm on day 2.
Nobody else has said this. So the 24 hour strike could begin at 6pm on October 5 and go INTO October 6 up to 6pm. Is that correct?

What time did the union specify that it will go on strike on October 5?

That said, strikes are often called off and even the ones that go ahead don't always cause the complete shut-down of lines as not all drivers will strike (some not in a union, some in a different union, some strike-breakers). If there are enough to run a service they will do so. Check a couple of days before and see if it is still on and what the expected disruption is likely to be.
Those of you in London locally, please keep us up to date.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:40 pm
Community Director

Nobody else has said this. So the 24 hour strike could begin at 6pm on October 5 and go INTO October 6 up to 6pm. Is that correct?
Yes, correct, as I hinted at and gingerlucy spelt out.

That is actually the more usual format of strike action from Underground staff, because it ensures the most disruption for the same loss in wages.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:24 pm

What time did the union specify that it will go on strike on October 5?

Those of you in London locally, please keep us up to date.
Indeed so. They haven't specified timings yet but it is highly unlikely it will be one "clean" day because as NWIFlyer says that doesn't maximise disruption. The particularly big one back in January was 6pm to 6pm which is very effective as it takes out the service for evening rush hour on both days. They have also had/planned 9pm and 10pm starts this year. They will announce the specifics with a few days' notice.

If you're flying into LHR and need to get somewhere in central London you should look into pre-booking a minicab. Do not try to get the Heathrow Express into London and then a cab or bus because in previous strikes the queues for both of those at Paddington are truly something to behold. No need to book yet but at least research your options so you have a plan if you need it.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
Indeed so. They haven't specified timings yet but it is highly unlikely it will be one "clean" day because as NWIFlyer says that doesn't maximise disruption.
The BBC reported it as one day (midnight-midnight)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41309988
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by big_mac
The BBC reported it as one day (midnight-midnight)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41309988
It's possible they'll do that to mix things up, though ASLEF themselves haven't announced any times so I don't know where the BBC got that from. As they say at the bottom, the January one was from 6pm.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We will be landing Saturday Oct 7 at 7 am at LHR then taking a car service to Windsor Castle. After touring the castle, we're heading into London to our hotel.

This strike, were it to go into Saturday, will not affect us taking the rail service into Paddington from Windsor Eton, correct?

We would just have to find a different way to get from Paddington to our hotel at St Pancras?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
This strike, were it to go into Saturday, will not affect us taking the rail service into Paddington from Windsor Eton, correct?
Given that it isn't tube, you won't be affected on that part of the journey. I would even go as far as say that it's unlikely that they'll be striking on that day.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, correct, as I hinted at and gingerlucy spelt out.

That is actually the more usual format of strike action from Underground staff, because it ensures the most disruption for the same loss in wages.
Clearly I missed it. Yet the BBC link says the strike will begin at 00:01 on October 5. Yet as was said above, no one knows where the BBC got that info.

So my flight is due at 1:45pm on October 6. Does it look like I'll need to find another way into London besides the Piccadilly? Should I book Heathrow Connect online? I'll be going to Ealing Broadway.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 26, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.