Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How much of a pain is it to switch airlines connecting through LGW w/ bags?

Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Currently planning a trip to somewhere in Europe for the last two weeks of October (leaning towards Greece...thoughts?) from Vancouver, and it seems like it's MUCH cheaper to fly WestJet to LGW, then connect on EasyJet or something similar to wherever we want to go. E.g. $319 (pp, one way) YVR-YYZ-LGW-ATH vs $572 YVR-LHR-ATH on BA or similar on AC. If we check a bag though, I'm sure it won't be checked through since we'd be switching to a non-partner airline at LGW. Would we have to go through customs and immigration and to baggage claim, then drop off the bag again at the EasyJet check in and go through security again? Seems like a massive headache, but maybe worth it to save $500 between the two of us?

Option 2, of course, is to just not bring a bag.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Currently planning a trip to somewhere in Europe for the last two weeks of October (leaning towards Greece...thoughts?) from Vancouver, and it seems like it's MUCH cheaper to fly WestJet to LGW, then connect on EasyJet or something similar to wherever we want to go. E.g. $319 (pp, one way) YVR-YYZ-LGW-ATH vs $572 YVR-LHR-ATH on BA or similar on AC. If we check a bag though, I'm sure it won't be checked through since we'd be switching to a non-partner airline at LGW. Would we have to go through customs and immigration and to baggage claim, then drop off the bag again at the EasyJet check in and go through security again? Seems like a massive headache, but maybe worth it to save $500 between the two of us?

Option 2, of course, is to just not bring a bag.
EZY - like many LCCs - does not interline bags with other carriers. So, if you fly in on WestJet (WS) - even though both carriers use the North Terminal - you will have to enter the UK going through immigration, collect your bags and then go to Departures and check-in with easyJet and head back through security for that flight. The same on the way back. Make sure to leave plenty of time between flights. You are NOT connecting. You will have two separate flights.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
EZY - like many LCCs - does not interline bags with other carriers. So, if you fly in on WestJet (WS) - even though both carriers use the North Terminal - you will have to enter the UK going through immigration, collect your bags and then go to Departures and check-in with easyJet and head back through security for that flight. The same on the way back. Make sure to leave plenty of time between flights. You are NOT connecting. You will have two separate flights.
Interline! Thank you. That was the word that was escaping me when I was writing my original post.

Thanks for the info! 4-5 hours should be plenty, right?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:07 am

An interval of 4/5 hours would be fine on a normal day.
But you run the usual risk of separate flights. What's your plan B and what's it going to cost you if the first flight is rescheduled, or seriously delayed or cancelled on the day.
Minor point on costs - you realise hold baggage is chargeable on easyJet, is that factored into your cost comparison?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:09 am

See if you can can book through Gatwick Connects+ - that way you'll have a protected connection which would be ideal.

Even if you don't book through them, you can still use the Gatwick Connects bag check service which saves some hassle. 4-5h shuld be plenty - easyJet offer rebooking for a reasonable 80 rescue fee too in case you don't make it. Not sure about WestJet for the return though - that's where booking the protected option would be safer if possible.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...twickconnects/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm not sure if they've improved, but there were horror stories last year and again a few months ago about WestJet's operation to LGW - many flights delayed and quite a few by many hours.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
See if you can can book through Gatwick Connects+ - that way you'll have a protected connection which would be ideal.

Even if you don't book through them, you can still use the Gatwick Connects bag check service which saves some hassle. 4-5h shuld be plenty - easyJet offer rebooking for a reasonable 80 rescue fee too in case you don't make it. Not sure about WestJet for the return though - that's where booking the protected option would be safer if possible.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...twickconnects/
This is great, thank you!

EDIT: Looks like there aren't any cities in Canada that you can use to book with Gatwick Connects+...can you buy the service after you book with the airline directly? How much does the service usually cost?

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
An interval of 4/5 hours would be fine on a normal day.
But you run the usual risk of separate flights. What's your plan B and what's it going to cost you if the first flight is rescheduled, or seriously delayed or cancelled on the day.
Minor point on costs - you realise hold baggage is chargeable on easyJet, is that factored into your cost comparison?
Yes, thank you. I guess the plan B would be to just rebook on the next available flight. The easyjet flights are <$100 per person, so even if we have to completely cancel (without refund) the original flights and book new ones, we're still coming out (a little) ahead than booking through BA or AC. I think that's worth the risk to save >$500

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm not sure if they've improved, but there were horror stories last year and again a few months ago about WestJet's operation to LGW - many flights delayed and quite a few by many hours.
Yes, I've seen a few blog posts about this...definitely something to keep an eye on, thanks!

Last edited by ravisurdhar; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

The easyjet flights are <$100 per person . . .
They may not be on the day you travel, and that's when you'll find out if you've misconnected.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
easy jet offer missed flightcover for 7.50 one way or 9.50 return.

They will book you (for free) on to the next available flight to your destination.

But you need to have bought it at the same time as you buy your flights.

Also check your travel insurance policy for what cover that may offer.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
They may not be on the day you travel, and that's when you'll find out if you've misconnected.
To repeat, easyJet charge a flat rescue fee of 80 to get on the next available flight if you arrive within 2hours of your missed flight. The actual fare doesn't matter.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
easy jet offer missed flightcover for 7.50 one way or 9.50 return.

They will book you (for free) on to the next available flight to your destination.

But you need to have bought it at the same time as you buy your flights.

Also check your travel insurance policy for what cover that may offer.
Only if you miss your flight by no more than 4 hours. I feel like if I miss my connection at LGW (given that I'm already building in 4-5 hours of layover), it'll be by a lot more than 4-5 hours (ie, severe weather delay, flight cancellation, etc).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Only if you miss your flight by no more than 4 hours. I feel like if I miss my connection at LGW (given that I'm already building in 4-5 hours of layover), it'll be by a lot more than 4-5 hours (ie, severe weather delay, flight cancellation, etc).
if you bought the easyJet insurance you're basically allowing 8-9 hours for delays.

Personally I'd buy it because it would still be cheaper than paying for a new flight which is what you would have to do if you hadn't bought it, It's a small loss even if you were unfortunate to have an even longer delay.

check the price of buying the flight that goes tomorrow because that is closer to what you would have to pay not a booked months in advance one.

Of coure an alternative is to plan now to overnight at LGW and book the easyJet leg for the following day,
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:53 am

This is great, thank you!

EDIT: Looks like there aren't any cities in Canada that you can use to book with Gatwick Connects+...
News for you! easyJet have just today announced that they are now selling connecting flights with WestJet to/from Canada via Gatwick. See here: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ondon-gatwick/

Example below of a protected connection YVR-LGW-ATH which is now available on the easyJet website. However currently this trip seems only available up to October, but keep an eye on it.

can you buy the service after you book with the airline directly? How much does the service usually cost?
If you're not able to buy a combined protected itinerary as below, you can still use the Gatwick Connects bag service for free with two separate bookings - no need to buy it. It just means that you can drop your bag at the Connects desk in the baggage hall and they'll recheck it with the onward airline for you so you can skip check-in. However that service doesn't include IRROPs protection.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.