Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any pleasant towns within 2-3 hrs of LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:46 pm
mjm
Original Member

Day trip to Avebury from Bath will blow your mind. Great day of fresh air and history. Read up in advance for max benefit.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by squeakr
Any recs for where to stay?
If you're looking at the higher end, I can recommend the Gainsborough. The spa is really nice if you're into that sort of thing and guests can use it for free during certain hours.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:24 pm
mjm
Original Member

I stayed here and found it very pleasant.
http://www.leightontownhouse.co.uk/
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Been to Avebury!

Originally Posted by mjm
Day trip to Avebury from Bath will blow your mind. Great day of fresh air and history. Read up in advance for max benefit.

Awesome place - may do a day trip there!
mjm likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

this looks awesome.....

Originally Posted by mjm
I stayed here and found it very pleasant.
http://www.leightontownhouse.co.uk/

we may poke around and change our current plan
mjm likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Avebury has a fine pub in the center to eat at, or stay overnight (I have only eaten there). One can of course picnic among the stones, but in November, that will be ... an interesting cultural experience for a Californian. I suggest you eat at the pub.

One of the trees by the central stones can be extremely lively; it's a rookery, the degree of squabbling over the roosting there is most amusing.

If you do want to use public transport, you can take train to Swindon then bus to Avebury.

Meanwhile in Bath, the Hilton followed by the Royal Crescent seems entirely sensible. I still recommend having a go in the Thermae Baths.

If you want to walkabout, on a fine day, you can get a very good view of the city from the top of the hill with Brown's Folly on it: take the bus number 3 to the end of the line in Bathford, then walk up Dovers Lane (look at the google map) and keep walking up the hill at the end of the lane across the field and into the woods, then follow the paths in the woods up and bearing gently right until you get to Brown's Folly. It will certainly help you walk off the Sally Lunn Bun the day before, it's a steep hill :-) Or, get a car and drive up to Farleigh Rise towards Monkton Farleigh and walk from there, it's fairly flat on top of the hill.

Last edited by flatlander; Sep 18, 2017 at 8:15 am Reason: add pub accommodation
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:53 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
If you have means of travel from Bath, November sees the night time Somerset Carnivals. The internet will give you the details and videos of what it sounds and looks like. Various towns starting 4 November. It can get crowded with up to 150,000 people a night.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

This would be my nightmare!

Originally Posted by LPQ
If you have means of travel from Bath, November sees the night time Somerset Carnivals. The internet will give you the details and videos of what it sounds and looks like. Various towns starting 4 November. It can get crowded with up to 150,000 people a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.