LHR or LGW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The thread that just keeps giving. From your own link :-

Hardly pulling out of Dubai
Nice quote but if you read both articles properly they have already closed retail banking operations and are downscaling private banking in the UAE.

Are you suggesting that Brexit doesn't signal the end of the UK finance sector? Is the weak GBP not enough for you?

Let's refer this back to the point once more, the City was important at one point in time, and there was a significant financial sector in the City and Canary Wharf. Now, unfortunately for your facts, the only London worth its metal is West London and the West End.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by akalra1187
Nice quote but if you read both articles properly they have already closed retail banking operations and are downscaling private banking in the UAE.

Are you suggesting that Brexit doesn't signal the end of the UK finance sector? Is the weak GBP not enough for you?

Let's refer this back to the point once more, the City was important at one point in time, and there was a significant financial sector in the City and Canary Wharf. Now, unfortunately for your facts, the only London worth its metal is West London and the West End.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:05 pm
Suspended

How many EK flights come from the North? Add the holding times at LHR, and a DXB-LHR flight can easily be 30+ minutes longer than DXB-LHR.
Not flights. When driving to LGW from Stanstead as Seat54 said and I was responding to.
For clarity and if you're not reading, if you're driving from Stanstead area to Gatwick you will cross LHR long before you reach LGW.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Not flights. When driving to LGW from Stanstead as Seat54 said and I was responding to.
For clarity and if you're not reading, if you're driving from Stanstead area to Gatwick you will cross LHR long before you reach LGW.
Only if you are complete buffoon and go the wrong way around the M25.

And it's Stansted...
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Only if you are complete buffoon and go the wrong way around the M25.

And it's Stansted...
So crossing the Dartford tunnel is quicker than going anti-clockwise? You clearly don't drive around London much. Stick to the trains and those fresh clothes mate.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Smile

Makes sense, but you cross Heathrow on the way to Gatwick if you're coming from the North??
Depends if your driving or not, if East coast then M11 makes Gatwick just as accessible as you won't go via the west side of the M25

If by train from most northern areas Euston, St.P or Kings Cross are all quite simple to get to Gatwick. Paddington always feels like a challenge from underground to Heathrow express.

It's only a personal preference because I don't feel there is much in it at all. There are pro and cons to either.

But for the purposes of the original question, it's what I would do (however insanely I'm doing it the other way round soon)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat54
Depends if your driving or not, if East coast then M11 makes Gatwick just as accessible as you won't go via the west side of the M25

If by train from most northern areas Euston, St.P or Kings Cross are all quite simple to get to Gatwick. Paddington always feels like a challenge from underground to Heathrow express.

It's only a personal preference because I don't feel there is much in it at all. There are pro and cons to either.

But for the purposes of the original question, it's what I would do (however insanely I'm doing it the other way round soon)
I'd agree with what you're saying based on where you're based.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
I turn left on the circle (M25), go over the small bridge and never see Heathrow

LHR is 75mins
LGW is 70mins
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat54
I turn left on the circle (M25), go over the small bridge and never see Heathrow
Tailbacks for the tunnel/bridge excluded?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:26 pm

Tailbacks for the tunnel excluded?
Hence my other reason for the out from LGW return into LHR !
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:27 pm

So crossing the Dartford tunnel is quicker than going anti-clockwise?
Of course it is you plonker! It's 30 miles shorter for a start. I used to have to head to Chertsey from Manchester quite often, and that part of the M25 is a nightmare. Only a lunatic would choose to go that way...
Seat54 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Of course it is you plonker! It's 30 miles shorter for a start. I used to have to head to Chertsey from Manchester quite often, and that part of the M25 is a nightmare. Only a lunatic would choose to go that way...
I don't agree.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:33 pm

I don't agree.
And with that, I'll head to the land of nod.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not sure what's relevant to EK in the last three dozen or so posts here? Just because it relates to London it didn't have to devolve into a BAEC sub-forum type thread...
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So crossing the Dartford tunnel is quicker than going anti-clockwise? You clearly don't drive around London much. Stick to the trains and those fresh clothes mate.
I would say that it seems obvious that you do not know the M25 if you think that to get from M11 to M23, that going anti clockwise and travelling 50% further is a sensible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.