Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR or LGW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
This will be my last post on this topic, if people want to be delusional about how far Gatwick is, I guess that's my good luck.

Originally Posted by simons1
If you are leaving from the City then LHR may be geographically closer but LGW is probably quicker.
In 2017 how many people are going from the City straight to LGW? You do realise there's nearly no overseas work left in the City after the financial crisis (2008), new non domicile laws (2011) and Brexit (now), even the poor people left working in the greatly important City will now have a chance to go home first and there's an equal chance they live in west or north London.

Any why do you keep droning on about baggage. It need not slow you down. Not everyone travels with a 30kg case.
We are talking about Emirates here, their shortest flight from London is seven hours. I still mantain that most people taking seven hour or longer flights are not travelling with two sets of clothes. Either that or a lot of people are wearing a lot of very smelly and dirty clothes.

as pointed out elsewhere the tube timetable has 57 minutes for the journey you mention....why do you keep making things up?
Because the 'tube timetable' is not how the tube works. Have you ever used the tube? Yes national rail does work according to timetables more or less, the tube on the other hand if you ever check works vastly differently. I get on at Knightsbridge to visit clients near Hatton Cross station, I've timed it a few times, I'm normally at Hatton Cross in 28 minutes, the timetable states a maximum journey time of 40 mins. Yes sometimes with 'signaling problems' it takes 40 minutes as well but your quote of the 'tube timetable' suggests you don't really use the tube. Also don't forget there is usually a train every 2-3 minutes on the tube not every half hour like on rail services. That makes a huge difference to the overall journey time in the real world.

Anyway, carry on with Gatwick if you love it so much. I'm out.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by akalra1187
We are talking about Emirates here, their shortest flight from London is seven hours. I still mantain that most people taking seven hour or longer flights are not travelling with two sets of clothes. Either that or a lot of people are wearing a lot of very smelly and dirty clothes.

Because the 'tube timetable' is not how the tube works. Have you ever used the tube? Yes national rail does work according to timetables more or less, the tube on the other hand if you ever check works vastly differently. I get on at Knightsbridge to visit clients near Hatton Cross station, I've timed it a few times, I'm normally at Hatton Cross in 28 minutes, the timetable states a maximum journey time of 40 mins. Yes sometimes with 'signaling problems' it takes 40 minutes as well but your quote of the 'tube timetable' suggests you don't really use the tube. Also don't forget there is usually a train every 2-3 minutes on the tube not every half hour like on rail services. That makes a huge difference to the overall journey time in the real world.

Anyway, carry on with Gatwick if you love it so much. I'm out.
Seriously you must be in cloud cuckoo land.

Plenty of people go to Dubai for a long weekend with a carry on of clothes. It really isn't hard to manage for 4/5 days particularly if you are sat by the pool for a chunk of it.

As for the tube, well you were talking about Blackfriars or Temple in 40 mins, now you have changed your tune to Knightsbridge. That's 5 or 6 stops less and doesn't involve a change. But keep making it up as you go along, it's good entertainment.

Victoria to Gatwick is 30 mins on the train - there may be a few minutes either way but its not like there is a lifetime of difference.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You do realise there's nearly no overseas work left in the City after the

And with that, you've outed yourself as a WUM.

What's that A318 that BA fly from LCY to JFK? Full of City workers or tourists I wonder?

Lots of people travel to Dubai or further on business (or pleasure) for a few days. 5 sets of underware, 5 shirts and a suit or 2. I've certainly done it.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

What's that A318 that BA fly from LCY to JFK? Full of City workers or tourists I wonder?

Lots of people travel to Dubai or further on business (or pleasure) for a few days. 5 sets of underware, 5 shirts and a suit or 2. I've certainly done it.
I had to Google "WUM" - scratching my head as to why White Upper Middle (Class) was a factor
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

No longer going to post about the benifits of LHR, but in response to the Club World London City flight, that was incepted during the days of Lehman Brothers, I'll leave it to you whether or not you feel this service has much future left.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:12 pm

No longer going to post about the benifits of LHR, but in response to the Club World London City flight, that was incepted during the days of Lehman Brothers, I'll leave it to you whether or not you feel this service has much future left.
That company that went bust in 2008? Yes, it must be due to be cancelled, 9 years on. Oh hang on, it only started in 2009

It's pretty much underwritten by Barclays from what I've read on the BA forum.

​​​
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eternaltransit

I had to Google "WUM" - scratching my head as to why White Upper Middle (Class) was a factor
That company that went bust in 2008? Yes, it must be due to be cancelled, 9 years on. Oh hang on, it only started in 2009

It's pretty much underwritten by Barclays from what I've read on the BA forum.

​​​
Look up the word inception.

Nobody said anything about its launch date, the idea was born in the City's golden days, which are now finite.

Do you know how many Japanese and American banks are moving their offices to Frankfurt after Brexit?

Oh and Barclays exited Dubai about a year and a half ago, won't be long till they have to exit other overseas markets too due to the UK's dwindling financial industry.

Last edited by akalra1187; Sep 3, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:05 pm

Look up the word inception.

Nobody said anything about its launch date, the idea was born in the City's golden days, which are now finite.

Do you know how many Japanese and American banks are moving their offices to Frankfurt after Brexit?

Oh and Barclays exited Dubai about a year and a half ago, won't be long till they have to exit other overseas markets too due to the UK's dwindling financial industry.
Incepted - “begin commence undertake"

Incepted is not the same as inception.

What the heck does Barclays exiting Dubai have to do with this thread (other than both having been mentioned in completely different contexts)? Not that I've not checked the accuracy of this... But I guess it could be another of your made up facts.

ETA - Barclays seem to be alive and kicking in Dubai.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Sep 3, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
If the question is the airport only and getting to either is not in the equation, then I prefer flying from Gatwick and returning to Heathrow for the following simple reasons

1) I hate the walk to immigration at Gatwick
2) it winds me up that you have to find coins for trolleys at Gatwick, it really does not feel tourist friendly, feels more like brits on tour airport
3) The lounge at Gatwick (although irrelevant for this question) feels more spacious

There is so little difference that it truly makes no difference for me and I live near Stansted so both airports to go or return by either car, CD or train makes little difference.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Indeed, and I guess the poster's optimistic timescales help clarify the denied check-in with Swiss too. Thought there was something odd about that.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Incepted - “begin commence undertake"

Incepted is not the same as inception.

What the heck does Barclays exiting Dubai have to do with this thread (other than both having been mentioned in completely different contexts)? Not that I've not checked the accuracy of this... But I guess it could be another of your made up facts.

ETA - Barclays seem to be alive and kicking in Dubai.
No,
incepted

simple past tense and past participle of incept

And thus,

incept (third-person singular simple present incepts, present participle incepting, simple past and past participle incepted)

To take in or ingest.

As for Barclays,

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...-unit-1.172306

And

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...-bank-1.263389
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat54
If the question is the airport only and getting to either is not in the equation, then I prefer flying from Gatwick and returning to Heathrow for the following simple reasons

1) I hate the walk to immigration at Gatwick
2) it winds me up that you have to find coins for trolleys at Gatwick, it really does not feel tourist friendly, feels more like brits on tour airport
3) The lounge at Gatwick (although irrelevant for this question) feels more spacious

There is so little difference that it truly makes no difference for me and I live near Stansted so both airports to go or return by either car, CD or train makes little difference.
Makes sense, but you cross Heathrow on the way to Gatwick if you're coming from the North??
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

The thread that just keeps giving. From your own link :-

Barclays will dismiss about 150 staff in Dubai as it restructures its Middle East corporate banking business, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

The bank will close its offices at Emaar Square and relocate bankers and support staff to its office at Dubai International Financial Centre, said the person, asking not to be identified as the dismissals aren’t public.

Barclays will keep its corporate branch in Abu Dhabi and wholesale banking license with UAE Central Bank, the person said.
Hardly pulling out of Dubai
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:44 pm

Makes sense, but you cross Heathrow on the way to Gatwick if you're coming from the North??
How many EK flights come from the North? Add the holding times at LHR, and a DXB-LHR flight can easily be 30+ minutes longer than DXB-LHR.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

The thread that just keeps giving. From your own link :-

Hardly pulling out of Dubai
Damn you for spoiling the story. You really must learn to make it up as you go along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.