Wiki Posts
Search

Landing cards to be "enhanced"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The colonizer government is competing with some of its former colonial possessions to come into the modern era and ditch the antiquated process of using paper landing forms. The form's elimination can't come soon enough for me, if they manage not to mess things up even more by doing so.

A self-service machine for US citizens at LHR on their first ever trip to the U.K. isn't necessarily going to be a time saver for the US passport-using passenger. As it is, my use of U.K. landing cards doesn't slow me down even a noticeable bit at LHR T5 compared to my use of the UK epassport gates without a landing card there.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Efrem
My experience with the U.S. system is that time with an immigration officer is much less than it was before the electronic kiosks were introduced. Yes, there's an additional step in the process, but overall time is still way down. Needing to queue twice is not necessarily a problem if the queues themselves are much shorter than previously - as, in my experience in the U.S., they are.
If you're travelling with someone who is in a different cabin on the plane to you it adds to the time at the CBP in my experience. Last time I flew into BOS I was in First and my family member was on the Upper Deck in Club World. I had to wait at the machines for them so that they could enter their details/passport/facial picture etc. Before the machines they could just join me in the line when they caught up. The first time we used the machines I just went through and did all that on my own then when talking to the officer he asked if I was travelling alone. I said that I had family on the flight and he said that we must go through together doing the machine entry as a family and made me go and get them out of the line. Said we should use the same customs form as well.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I said that I had family on the flight and he said that we must go through together doing the machine entry as a family and made me go and get them out of the line. Said we should use the same customs form as well.
Not that what happens in the UK has anything to do with the USA and vice versa but family groups should always go through immegration together. The officer was right.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Not that what happens in the UK has anything to do with the USA and vice versa but family groups should always go through immegration together. The officer was right.
Yeah I realised that when talking to him and expecting him to say back of the line. I then realised that it was going to be a pain having to use these machines if travelling with someone as it would just add to time getting through immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.