Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

DUB - LGW - SEA: Will I go through customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am looking at booking flights from Dublin to London to Seattle, all on the same day and all with different airlines. I'm concerned about the timing, though. I'd fly from Dublin to London on Ryanair arriving at 8:10am. The flight to Seattle would be on Norwegian, leaving at 9:50am. I think if I have a checked bag I won't be able to make the timing work. But, if I only have a carry on and if I check into my Norwegian flight online, will I be able to go directly from the Ryanair air flight to the Norwegian flight? Or will I have to leave the secure area, go through customs/immigration, and have to go through security again? I've never been to LGW so I don't know how it's set up - if international flights are in a different terminal, for example. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Online check in seems to only be available within Europe for Norwegian (which makes sense given the docs check long haul), in which case you need to exit the secure area and go to check in.

Were you planning to book this as one ticket or two? Ryanair is starting to offer feed for Norwegian longhaul. Gatwick has a service called Gatwick Connects for self connecting passengers
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:32 am

The UK operates a CTA (common travel area) with Ireland. Arriving passengers from Dublin will not go through immigration or customs. That said, the airport must keep arriving passengers separate from other passengers - that frequently means you'll be offloaded to a bus and driven to the domestic baggage hall. The bus process slows you down.
While Ryanair have a decent on-time record, Gatwick is extremely busy and delays can happen. Your plan is way way above my risk tolerance.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PleasantLady
Hello,

I am looking at booking flights from Dublin to London to Seattle, all on the same day and all with different airlines. I'm concerned about the timing, though. I'd fly from Dublin to London on Ryanair arriving at 8:10am. The flight to Seattle would be on Norwegian, leaving at 9:50am. I think if I have a checked bag I won't be able to make the timing work. But, if I only have a carry on and if I check into my Norwegian flight online, will I be able to go directly from the Ryanair air flight to the Norwegian flight? Or will I have to leave the secure area, go through customs/immigration, and have to go through security again? I've never been to LGW so I don't know how it's set up - if international flights are in a different terminal, for example. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Thank you!
This is a terrible idea. You don't leave enough time even with a carry-on alone and if the inbound flight were actually on time. You will lose precious time on that bus described in the above post. Moreover, the Norwegian flight could close 15-30 minutes before departure thereby shortening even more the slim margin of time between both flights.

Norwegian will not just put you on another flight without your buying a new one-way ticket. All of the money you saved by choosing Norwegian will now cost you a fortune with a last-minute one-way ticket to SEA.

Don't do this, PleasantLady.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Well, at least Ryanair and Norwegian both operate out of the same terminal. Personally, I've always found Ryanair to be very quick and efficient on deplaning so I suspect you would find yourself in the domestic baggage section quite quickly - perhaps even faster than if you have to wait for a distant gate. The problem will then be to get over to - and through - the security section. LGW is a zoo, but recently I haven't had to wait too long for security at various different times of day, but your luck could well be out. Add 10 minutes from exiting security to reaching the gate and you can see that it's more than likely that the flight will be missed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely not take this route :-) Also, I looked at Gatwick Connects - a really cool concept - but it only offered me flights from Dublin that came in the night before, or flights to Seattle that left the next day, so I guess they agree that it's not a good idea to cut it so close! Thank you again!

​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.