Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily budget for dining in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Daily budget for dining in London

How much would you budget for snacking/dining/drinks (not alcoholic) in London per day? Our hotel offers a free breakfast, so that will eliminate paying for one meal per day. We're not extravagant diners - so nothing big/special. I know each person is different with their budget, too. We're just trying to figure out a good approximate.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Most supermarkets will do you a meal deal with sandwich + snack + drink for £3

Weatherspoons pub will do you a meal deal with something like burger+pint or curry+pint (depending on day) for about the £5-£7 mark. Macdonalds or Burger King meal deals are similarish prices

So, assuming you don't want to buy food in a supermarket and cook / make salads / make picnics, there's the low end of your budget

Many decent restaurants in London will do lunchtime or lunchtime + pre-theatre special set menus, with 2 courses in the £12-£20 range. Generally normal menus (eg in the evening) are more, often closer to double depending on what you order / where you go

In nicer London restaurants, you can easily hit £100 a head before drinks on a 3 course meal.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:17 am

It's a tough question, but as a starting point... if you're having a big breakfast in your hotel you'll not need a huge lunch, so £5-£8 will do it for a reasonable sandwich/wrap/salad/curry box + drink from one of the many decent chain outlets or a market. £3 if you're content with a Tesco/Sainsbury's sandwich meal deal.

Chocolate bars/crisps cost 60p-£1 in shops, £1.50 for fancy bars, £2-3 for proper bakery treats.

Dinner... well you can eat well for under £20 excluding booze at almost any pub, and at decent chains like Rosso Pomodoro, Byron, Honest Burger, Pho etc. At places like Pizza Express you can use voucher codes and eat for under a tenner. Local restaurants also often have good set menus for around £15.

Obviously you can spend any amount upwards of the above. I would say I typically spend £30-£40 on nice but not fancy dinners out with some booze.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Excellent help! Thank you!!
It's a lot more affordable than I was expecting!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Generally I find it cheaper at pretty well every level than the equivalent in the US. Or, to put it another way, I find eating out in NY or SF to be approx 30-50% more than London for equivalent quality levels.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Generally I find it cheaper at pretty well every level than the equivalent in the US. Or, to put it another way, I find eating out in NY or SF to be approx 30-50% more than London for equivalent quality levels.
Agreed - it is *a lot* cheaper than NYC!

And of course prices here always include tax. Service charge is max 12.5% in restaurants and you are never expected to tip in a self-service place like a sandwich shop.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Excellent help! Thank you!!
It's a lot more affordable than I was expecting!
Thank Brexit for the affordability!

Last edited by tanglin; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:45 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by tanglin
Thank Brexit for the affordability!
Even before the fall in the pound, the UK was cheaper for food than the US.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Am I safe to assume that the prices are comparable in Edinburgh and The Lake District, as well?

Do most places take MC/Visa? Or are we better off carrying cash?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:31 pm

Am I safe to assume that the prices are comparable in Edinburgh and The Lake District, as well?

Thanks!
Yes. The Lake District has fewer of the urban chain options, and fewer Tesco and Sainsbury's, but isn't more expensive than London and is certainly cheaper for a pint.

Virtually everywhere takes Visa/MC except market stalls and some independent small shops which may accept card but with a minimum amount of say £5, or 50p charge under that.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 13, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:10 pm

Basically everywhere, it's mostly just AMEX that some places don't accept
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Just go to Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose if you are worried about spending some dosh. You can get breakfast, lunch and dinner there on the cheap. Personally, I wouldn't do that as there are some amazing restos in London that are worth an extra couple quid.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We preferred Marks & Spencer for the best variety of 'grab and go' grocery store options.

Pretty much every museum, garden, national park, etc. will have a cafe for lunch options. Will run from £4 or so for a mediocre cellophane-wrapped sandwich (if you're in the realm of that kind of thing, go for the panini version when possible. The better bread does make a difference) to £8-£12 for a full lunch, often made in-house from regionally produced meat and produce. And sometimes in a really lovely setting like the Orangery at Kew Gardens or the Museum Cafe at the Victoria & Albert.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:45 pm

Don't forget you can substitute a baguette and lump of cheese for a couple of meals.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Don't forget you can substitute a baguette and lump of cheese for a couple of meals.
Fine for a one off, but it's better to aim for a balanced diet. I'm sure that carbs, protein and sugars alone for a week long stint will save some money but do horrible damage to the waistline and health.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.