Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trip from London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Day trip from London

We have re-arranged our schedule and now have an extra day to spend and have decided we want to do a day trip from London.

We'd like to go on a guided tour to a place that would be similar to Williamsburg, VA. Some place that is old and quaint. We did find a day trip that goes to Midsomer. Does anyone have experience with that? Or what other locations would you recommend for a day trip? We're already taking a trip to the Cotswolds, Bath, and Stratford upon Avon. We'll also be visiting Edinburgh, and The Lake District in part of our trip.

What are other suggestions? Old and quaint....where they still live an average life. (Not the castles, etc.)

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Does it have to be a day trip vs. using that extra day to spend the night another place en route? Asking because if you will be at Stratford upon Avon and Cotswolds, you might enjoy the Ironsbridge Gorge Museums including Blists Hill Victorian Town.

We visited there last year as part of a week drive from London out towards the Northwest and Wales. Too far for a day trip from London - we spent the night in Telford after visiting Stratford upon Avon and Warwick Castle the first day out of London - but Williamsburg was actually part of the reason we stopped there (longer story about my wife growing up in DC - being taken to Williamsburg a few more times than she would have liked by her mother - so I make sure we always are on the lookout for a good living museum!). We had a very enjoyable day at the different Ironbridge Gorge Museums and would recommend the area.

I also did a day trip from London to Portsmouth once - enjoyed that as well.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:11 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was impressd with both Canterbury and Salisbury. They're places where the locals can be seen going about their business without tourists getting in their way.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If it can fit into some of the rest of your itinerary (rather than from London), Chipping Campden is a lovely old town. It's sort of between the Cotswolds and Stratford-upon-Avon. The northern end of the Cotswold Way (long distance ~100 mile walking path, one of the most famous of the UK walking trails) is Chipping Campden.

I have hiked in the Midsomer area. As depicted in the Midsomer Murders series, it is a really lovely area.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jun 20, 2017 at 3:37 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
As depicted in the Midsomer Murders series, it is a really lovely area.
This sentence did make me laugh. But yes, agreed!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

If choosing between Midsomer or Cotswolds (and Bath, etc.) which would you choose?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
If choosing between Midsomer or Cotswolds (and Bath, etc.) which would you choose?

Thanks!
Cotswolds. I say that despite the fact that I walked the Cotswold Way during the rainiest April in recorded English weather!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

One more thought....what about Leeds Castle, Canterbury and Dover?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:44 pm

One more thought....what about Leeds Castle, Canterbury and Dover?
I haven't visited those.

Oxford and Cambridge are both lovely. Either one of them would be an easy day trip from London. They're not small and quaint, but they are beautiful, full of history and beautiful architecture, and show a particular slice of English life. I have a slight preference for Cambridge. Evensong at Kings College Chapel is a sublime experience.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Bodiam Castle very nice and I think there is a heritage railway nearby. Combine with a cream tea and a pretty good day out
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Cambridge is certainly old (in the middle, and at parts of the edges), but I'm not sure how quaint it is. If you want old, orderly, and acting as if in a bygone past, Cambridge is not that (nor is Oxford, nor is Bath). You'll be wanting some smaller town with less population for that.

Stratford-upon-Avon is fairly twee, though also fairly busy with tourists, but if you are nearby, it may well be worth a day for you. You might like Evesham.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We'd like to go on a guided tour to a place that would be similar to Williamsburg, VA. Some place that is old and quaint.
Really? You want to visit a Colonial Williamsburg type dress-up theme park that requires admission tickets?

I don't know what part of England does that but I concur with others who recommend Canterbury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.