Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

One night in London.. what neighborhood do you suggest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One night in London.. what neighborhood do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Trafalgar Square is my choice of an area for a reasonably priced hotel and it is close to the West End, too. Try the Trafalgar Hotel (at the Square). It's a Hilton and reasonably priced, both in pounds and points.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Upscale? Okay Chelsea & Kensington its is!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by muishkin
Upscale? Okay Chelsea & Kensington its is!
I can also recommend Notting Hill (beautiful neighbourhood and quite charming) and close to Victoria Station. The latter has a quite good infrastructural connection, so I'd prefer that in your case..
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Travel_wise
I can also recommend Notting Hill (beautiful neighbourhood and quite charming) and close to Victoria Station. The latter has a quite good infrastructural connection, so I'd prefer that in your case..
Welcome to Flyertalk, Travel_wise. It’s great to have you here.

I must say though, I don’t think any Londoner would describe Notting Hill as being close to Victoria station! Do you mean Paddington station perhaps?

In any case, I agree Notting Hill is a good option for OP. I hardly ever venture out that way myself, but it certainly has some great (upscale) food and pub options. It’s also near Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park – definitely the best place to spend the afternoon if the weather’s nice. In fact I wouldn’t bother with a bus tour and would just do that instead. You can stroll all the way through to Buckingham Palace/Westminster if you fancy.

It is simple to get to Liverpool St from Notting Hill the next morning as well. For an 11.00 train you can leave comfortably after rush hour.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:30 am

Coincidentally, I just noticed this timely review of Assaggi in Notting Hill, from Giles Coren in the Times on Saturday. He is absolutely scathing (in his usual style) of the way Notting Hill has changed in recent years having been taken over by the super-rich.

As I said above, I never venture out there myself, not being part of that that gang. However I do think it's probably still a decent location for OP's particular stay requirements.

A good read if you have a Times subscription:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-d...aggi-p5p9cvnxs

Originally Posted by Giles Coren
<snip>
...So there it was: Assaggi in Notting Hill. Best restaurant in the best part of the best city in the world. My jealousy of its initiati knew no limits.

And then a couple of years ago I heard it had closed. Which I thought was odd, seeing as it was the best restaurant in London. But then of course restaurants in areas like that are struggling now. Because the £5-£10 million houses of 2002 have been going for more like £40-£50 million in recent years. And the people who have that sort of money to spend on a house can’t afford to live in it, because their tax arrangements keep them out of the country for most of the year. So the local restaurants do tend to struggle.

But then Assaggi reopened. And I gathered that it had all been about complications with the lease and that it was the same guy as before at the helm and he now had the whole building (this area really, really has no need for pubs), so that downstairs was no longer just a humble pub but a humble pizza restaurant owned by him.

The opportunity to try it arose when we invited our friends Katherine and Edward into town from their home in Berkshire for dinner. We needed somewhere close to Paddington station so they could get home afterwards, and of course Notting Hill is. Though I doubt the people who live round there these days know that.

I called to book using one of my usual crappy pseudonyms and had no trouble at all getting a four at 8pm the following Thursday, which was a little worrying. And then on the evening in question we drove quietly through the streets of Notting Hill, simply marvelling at the thought that 25 years ago these houses had normal people in them. English people. With jobs. And smiles. And children. Now they are immaculate multistorey palazzi with a permanent leaf-blowing guy and scampering Filipinas flitting past the windows, but nobody truly in residence at all.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
If you are leaving from Liverpool St, I'd stay around Shoreditch. Try somewhere like the Ace or the Citizen M. You can easily walk back to the train station from there the next morning and as others have said, the area has lots of opportunities for good food, drinking options and people watching.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Citizen M (Shoreditch) is a fine option for sleeping: they focus on comfortable bed, good shower, fast wifi, and rapid checkin and checkout. Since you'll be eating out and staying out late on the piss, it's ideal for crashing out and getting up next morning, shower, breakfast from their buffet (or get something in Liverpool St), and then a short walk to Liverpool St and catch your train.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
Citizen M (Shoreditch) is a fine option for sleeping: they focus on comfortable bed, good shower, fast wifi, and rapid checkin and checkout.
Much like I do at my Airbnb just up the road...

Shoreditch is fantastic for eating and drinking for sure, but the one negative about it is it has no good green space (Shoreditch Park is pretty unspectacular).

Personally I think one of the great parks should be the number one attraction for first time visitors to London. That's why I gave my ^ to Notting Hill for this particular trip. But of course there are pros and cons to both areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.