Downtown London

Overnight
Print Wikipost

The consolidated "I've got x hours at Heathrow, what can I do?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Should be fine
2. There is no UK immigration check at the airport but BA staff at BLR will check your documentation for the US and UK transit. You should check you the rules regarding UK transit assuming you have an Indian passport
3. No
4. Yes - and there are plenty of options onwards to the US with a domestic connection to keep you moving
Old May 13, 2016, 8:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Or indeed a reroute to SFO, if that's quicker for you!
Old May 13, 2016, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There isn't a later flight to SFO than SJC, but it would be great to get off the 787 if you are in the back of the bus.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:52 am

Thank you guys. Great site. Happy to be here.

Booked the BA flight to SJC from Bangalore. My other query is which gates will the BLR-LHR(BA0118)and LHR-SJC(BA0279) flights arrive/depart in T5?

Should I post this query in any other board ?
Old May 28, 2016, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Gates will be at the T5 B or C satellites. The gate numbers are not allocated until a few hours before the flight, however. An underground train and walkway connects A B and C.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:13 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You won't be passing into the UK (unless you have to stay overnight) so won't need a visa (if one is normally required for you).
This is not strictly true. Normally Indian citizens require visas to transit the UK whether or not they are entering the UK, but this requirement is waived if (as is likely in this case) the traveller has a US visa.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
This is not strictly true. Normally Indian citizens require visas to transit the UK whether or not they are entering the UK...
In detail for Indian citizen transiting airside in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/no
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage
12 Hours in London

I have a 12 hour layover in LHR. I am looking for suggestions of how best to sight see. Any siggestions?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For a start, why don't you review these threads (and the linked threads within) for some ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ation-lhr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...er-london.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...r-what-do.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...rs-london.html
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
dates and times of your visit would be helpful plus what interests you?

advice will vary depending if it's a summer August Wednesday to a wet Sunday in November.

And please check that you actually do have 12 hours and have accounted for the time to clear immigration when you arrive and to arrive back at LHR in good time to clear security prior to your departure.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:23 am

Whether you are able-bodied/reasonably fit makes a difference too. The best way to explore central London is to wander around on foot, especially if the weather's good.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:06 am

Hi AryehF - welcome to the UK forum!

The links posted above will give you some good ideas but we'll be happy to help on anything here. However, if you can share some info on your inbound/outbound flight times (including time of year, as the weather will affect greatly what you'll want to do), which terminals, also which cabin class as it may make a difference to your transit through the airport, that would be good.

Beyond that, is it you/with partner/family/etc? Have you been to London before and is there anything you particularly want to see?

It's a fabulous city (I'm not at all biased ) but it's also big with loads of different options. So knowing a little more about what you're seeking, if anything, would be useful.

As a starter, assuming your 12 hours is from when you land to when your next flight takes off, you'll need to allow around 2 hours upon landing to getting to the centre of town, then reckon on leaving the centre around 3, maybe 2.5 hours before your onward flight departs. This still gives you plenty of time to explore some key sights though, and have a nice meal.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ppp909
Whether you are able-bodied/reasonably fit makes a difference too. The best way to explore central London is to wander around on foot, especially if the weather's good.
^ plus some help from the Tube and busses. I am biased -went to university in London
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Short Stopover in LHR

So I land at LHR on 7/29 and 6am and take off the following morning around 6:30am. Any suggestions on what to do or where to stay?

I would like to hit a few English Pubs and see a little of London but not sure if i should be looking to stay at LHR overnight? or stay in london and take the train back in the morning?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
So I land at LHR on 7/29 and 6am and take off the following morning around 6:30am. Any suggestions on what to do or where to stay? I would like to hit a few English Pubs and see a little of London but not sure if i should be looking to stay at LHR overnight? or stay in london and take the train back in the morning?
The early departure complicates things.

If staying in Central London you would need to return to the airport by taxi, Heathrow Express (leave 05:10, arrive airport station at 05:25) or N9 all-night bus (leave 03:46 arrive airport station at 05:04). Tube is not an option as first train arrives at 06:36.

Strongly recommend an LHR hotel. You can store your bags at Left Luggage and go into the city unencumbered with bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.