Print Wikipost

The consolidated "I've got x hours at Heathrow, what can I do?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's the one you just tap.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:15 pm

Paying for your Tube journey with a contactless credit/debit card...

Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

6 hours at LHR

I have a six hour layover at LHR next month on my way to Dubai. Do I have enough time to get into town? It's been 10 years since I've been to London so I would like to get a little glimpse of it.

I will have another layover, this time for 8 hours on my way back home in June.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Plenty of time, it takes 15-20 minutes on Heathrow Express into Paddington, you can have 2-3 hours in the city before heading back.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Lots of threads on this, including some with excellent suggested itineraries. Have a look.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for posting back & pleased it worked out for you.

Would you mid sharing the price you paid for that?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If by six hour layover you mean arrive at say 0800 before your next flight departs at 1400, you'll need to be back on your way at 1130-1200, depending on your status and tolerance for queues at security (and airline/terminal). Arrival at 0800 on a non-EU passport probably puts you landside at 0900 and depending on your terminal, about 15 minutes away from HEX, where after a five minute wait you should be on your way, arriving at Paddington (rather dumpy) at 0945. You now have at most two hours so use your time wisely and plan ahead in respect of what you want to see.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If by six hour layover you mean arrive at say 0800 before your next flight departs at 1400, you'll need to be back on your way at 1130-1200, depending on your status and tolerance for queues at security (and airline/terminal). Arrival at 0800 on a non-EU passport probably puts you landside at 0900 and depending on your terminal, about 15 minutes away from HEX, where after a five minute wait you should be on your way, arriving at Paddington (rather dumpy) at 0945. You now have at most two hours so use your time wisely and plan ahead in respect of what you want to see.
I land at 10:25 and my next flight leaves at 16:55. I guess that doesn't leave me much time so I'd like to just go somewhere central like Picadilly Circus or another station that gets me close to Big Ben, the Thames, etc. so I can walk around and have a quick bite to eat.

I'll have another layover, this time slightly longer later that month.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

What airline, what passport (it makes a difference)?

1025 - wheels down
1035 - at gate
1050 - at immigration
1115 - landside
1125 - at HEX
1150 - at Paddington
1210 - central London / Westminster for lunch
1430 - make your way back to Paddington for HEX

Adjust the above times for full immigration, waiting for bags, final destination, tolerance for playing close to the edge...

Very doable for lunch/stroll.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

What airline, what passport (it makes a difference)?

1025 - wheels down
1035 - at gate
1050 - at immigration
1115 - landside
1125 - at HEX
1150 - at Paddington
1210 - central London / Westminster for lunch
1430 - make your way back to Paddington for HEX

Adjust the above times for full immigration, waiting for bags, final destination, tolerance for playing close to the edge...

Very doable for lunch/stroll.
I'm Canadian. Fly in on Air Canada and then fly out of London with Emirates. My luggage will be checked to my last destination so I'll only have my backpack to carry around.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

At that time of day immigration will be a bit quieter, but T2 is pretty good anyway. Add maybe another five/ten minutes for getting to the HEX, but otherwise all stays the same.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:29 pm
Suspended

At that time of day immigration will be a bit quieter, but T2 is pretty good anyway. Add maybe another five/ten minutes for getting to the HEX, but otherwise all stays the same.
Great. Bought my tickets for the HEX. Snagged a good price since I'll be there on a weekend and I bought them more than 30 days in advance. ^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by conklaven
Just saw this referenced in another thread so wanted to give an update...

After Tons of research and reading on here we decided to go to windsor.

It was a great choice. I semi prebooked a car. Meaning I spoke to one of the car companies and they said all I needed to do was call when we landed and they would have someone come pick us up. They did and even had a car seat waiting. They met us at the exit with sign.

We proceeded to Windsor where the driver gave us a quick tour of the grounds in the car and then dropped us off. we had a lot of carry ons (3) and the driver held them for us for the 3 hours that we were in Windsor.

We ended up not going into the castle as they didnt allow strollers and neither of us were awake enough to carry our baby for the whole time. So instead we walked around all the shops grabbed lunch and then called for pick up.

Our luggage was waiting for us in the car and we headed back to the airport with time to spare.

Great time and thanks for all the suggestions.
^
Old May 13, 2016, 7:31 am

2 hour layover in Heathrow.

I am planning to book a British Airways flight from Bangalore to San Jose via London Heathrow on 12th August. The official website shows a 2 hours 20 mins layover in Heathrow. Both the flights are arriving and departing from T5. Both the flights are British Airways flights. Planning to book it via the Official website. Given below are the flight details.

07:00 12 Aug Bengaluru ---13:05 12 Aug Heathrow (London)
British Airways
BLR-LHR
BA0118
Economy

15:25 12 Aug Heathrow (London) ---18:15 12 Aug San Jose (CA)
British Airways
LHR-SJC
BA0279
Economy

My queries

-Will the layover be an issue?
-Would i have to undergo any immigration checks?
-Would i have to pick up my checked in luggages again and check in them again?
-Will I get another flight to San Jose if i miss it due to any delay in arrival of the flight from Bangalore?
Old May 13, 2016, 7:41 am
Suspended

Welcome to FT, pacific1992!

This should be no problem; BA won't let you book something which doesn't meet minimum connection times on one ticket. Both flights are likely to depart from one of the satellite Terminals of T5, but you have plenty of time. I believe there is only one flight per day to SJC, so in the very unlikely event your first flight is hugely delayed, BA will put you up in a hotel until the next day and rebook you.

You won't be passing into the UK (unless you have to stay overnight) so won't need a visa (if one is normally required for you). You won't see your luggage until SJC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.