Search

Help pls - hotel in Newcastle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Help pls - hotel in Newcastle

Hi All,
My wife and I will find ourselves in Newcastle for a night in June.

I've had a quick look on the usual hotel sites.. so far it seems Crowne Plaza are the only big brand that have a property there (am i missing anything?).

It's only a short stay, check in after 10pm and will be out by midday - but will try and make the most of it and go for a walk around and check out the city. So anywhere central would be appreciated.

Airport to the city looks to take about 20 mins on a train - would an uber be a more comfortable choice if we have luggage?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
For such a short stay, I would recommend the Hampton by Hilton. It's very close to Central Station where there's also the metro station with direct metro trains to and from the airport. It's in a good location for a quick walk around the city centre, and also down the riverside to see the bridges. It's a newly opened, solid property, and I've found that both cash and award rates are relatively low.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
If you are arriving late, there is also a Doubletree at the airport. Short easy 100m walk from the terminal.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
For those timings, I guess you can get out for a couple of drinks in the evening, if that's your thing. (If it's not, then I would just stay at the airport, but it depends what your onward journey is.)

The metro is quick and comfortable, and as long as your hotel is close to one of the Metro stations (Monument or Central, I guess) it will be fine. Ubers are plentiful though, if you change your mind. The official Airport Taxis are considerably more expensive.

Other hotels in the centre, and depending on budget:

Grey Street Hotel - close to bars and restaurants etc, close to Monument
Hotel du Vin - stylish, down by the Quayside (lots of bars, nice walk, not handy for the Metro)
Hotel Indigo - never been, but I like the brand. Pretty close to the action and Central Station
Holiday Inn Express - close to the Crown Plaza. New build - fine.

Once you've decided where you're staying, I can probably suggest somewhere for brunch. A walk down to the Quayside in the morning is usually worth it though.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
If you are arriving late, there is also a Doubletree at the airport. Short easy 100m walk from the terminal.
Saw the double tree, i think we'd like to see the city and go out for a few late drinks though!
Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
For such a short stay, I would recommend the Hampton by Hilton. It's very close to Central Station where there's also the metro station with direct metro trains to and from the airport. It's in a good location for a quick walk around the city centre, and also down the riverside to see the bridges. It's a newly opened, solid property, and I've found that both cash and award rates are relatively low.
Fantastic! I didnt see hilton come up on my searches but maybe the headline name just has hampton. Great shout, thank you
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
For those timings, I guess you can get out for a couple of drinks in the evening, if that's your thing. (If it's not, then I would just stay at the airport, but it depends what your onward journey is.)

The metro is quick and comfortable, and as long as your hotel is close to one of the Metro stations (Monument or Central, I guess) it will be fine. Ubers are plentiful though, if you change your mind. The official Airport Taxis are considerably more expensive.

Other hotels in the centre, and depending on budget:

Grey Street Hotel - close to bars and restaurants etc, close to Monument
Hotel du Vin - stylish, down by the Quayside (lots of bars, nice walk, not handy for the Metro)
Hotel Indigo - never been, but I like the brand. Pretty close to the action and Central Station
Holiday Inn Express - close to the Crown Plaza. New build - fine.

Once you've decided where you're staying, I can probably suggest somewhere for brunch. A walk down to the Quayside in the morning is usually worth it though.

Thanks for the tip rich - relatively young couple and we dont want to waste our only (possibly ever?) night in NCL in bed watching bbc.

Would love to get out to a nice bar or pub for a beer... i'll watch a bit of Geordie shore beforehand but i dont think we want to go 'clubbing'!

Going to book our outgoing flight in the early afternoon, so yes brunch and what to do will 100% be my next query!

I saw Hotel Du Vin actually. That looked nice. Will do a quick price comp between that and the hilton hampton but staying near the water was one of our preference.

Thanks again for the post mate.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
The Hotel du Vin is a bit out of the city centre, it's a short cab or bus ride, but is very convenient for the hipster pubs of the Ouseburn Valley. If you're into beards and craft beer, it's probably a pretty good spot. If you're not, then it's a bit out of the way.

It depends what your budget is.

If money's no object, I'd suggest the Malmaison (right on the Quayside opposite the Baltic and the Sage) or the Vermont Hotel, which is on the hill overlooking the water. Or the Hilton, which is on the Quayside opposite the Tyne Bridge- don't be put off by the Gateshead location, it is on the Quayside, just on the south side of the river.

If money is more of an object, then the Staybridge Suites is nice, but again a little bit out of the centre, but not as far as the Hotel du Vin.

Hampton by Hilton and Crowne Plaza are both good shouts, my preference would be Crowne Plaza. The Hampton is in a refurbished ex-office block, they've done a good job but it is what it is; the Crowne Plaza is a complete new build. The Jurys Inn and the Holiday Inn Express are both alright for a budget.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Lots of good stuff there, Arctic Troll - but just to add that the Gateshead Hilton gets some less than stellar reviews on the Hilton forum here!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Or the Hilton, which is on the Quayside opposite the Tyne Bridge- don't be put off by the Gateshead location, it is on the Quayside, just on the south side of the river.
There no quayside as such on the Gateshead side, so I think it's more correct to say that the Hilton is on the opposite bank of the Tyne from the Quayside. As such, it's an additional few minutes walk each way across the bridge if you want to get to Newcastle city centre.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
The Hotel du Vin is a bit out of the city centre, it's a short cab or bus ride, but is very convenient for the hipster pubs of the Ouseburn Valley. If you're into beards and craft beer, it's probably a pretty good spot. If you're not, then it's a bit out of the way.

It depends what your budget is.

If money's no object, I'd suggest the Malmaison (right on the Quayside opposite the Baltic and the Sage) or the Vermont Hotel, which is on the hill overlooking the water. Or the Hilton, which is on the Quayside opposite the Tyne Bridge- don't be put off by the Gateshead location, it is on the Quayside, just on the south side of the river.

If money is more of an object, then the Staybridge Suites is nice, but again a little bit out of the centre, but not as far as the Hotel du Vin.

Hampton by Hilton and Crowne Plaza are both good shouts, my preference would be Crowne Plaza. The Hampton is in a refurbished ex-office block, they've done a good job but it is what it is; the Crowne Plaza is a complete new build. The Jurys Inn and the Holiday Inn Express are both alright for a budget.
Cheers for the tip mate. We have plenty of craft beer, kale, quinoa and beards in sydney so i probably won't be pushing for the culture trip with my ~14 hours in NCL, more inclined to stay around the water and be in walking distance of st james park & the castle (i read it as ~15-20min walk).

I'm a fan of a traditional old pub actually, of which i hear there are plenty there. I'm not so fussed on whether they serve IPA or not

I actually thought hotel du vin as near a train station, that extra drive could make it a bit inconvenient given the short length of our stay.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:30 am

The Hilton is in a good spot and has cracking views over the Tyne being right next to the Tyne bridge. The real downside is you have to cross a bridge to get most places (you have a choice depending on where you're going) and if it's a cold day you'll have to endure a bitterly cold gale. Not that it bothers the locals.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For a traditional old pub, there's the famous Crown Posada, just up from the Quayside.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ppp909
The Hilton is in a good spot and has cracking views over the Tyne being right next to the Tyne bridge. The real downside is you have to cross a bridge to get most places (you have a choice depending on where you're going) and if it's a cold day you'll have to endure a bitterly cold gale. Not that it bothers the locals.
Thats the gateshead right?
That one looked very nice actually. for some reason it wasnt populating on the search site i was using.
Dont mind a little stroll to get places!
Cheers!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
For a traditional old pub, there's the famous Crown Posada, just up from the Quayside.
Lovely, thats locked in my google map thank you mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.