Wiki Posts
Search

Tickets for touring Buckingham Palace

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Tickets for touring Buckingham Palace

I will be in London in mid- September. I see that Buckingham Palace is open for tours during my visit.
1) Is there a way of securing tour tickets in advance of the date?
2) Is this worth doing? I think it probably is but perhaps some of you have more expert opinions.
TIA
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:06 pm

1) Go to their website and buy one
2) Don't know as I've not been
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
"worth doing" is very subjective.

If you want to do it then do it. if you don't then don't.

I've done tours of places and thought "why on earth am I here this is awful" and done others where I wished the tour lasted longer.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Fantastic when I went.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/v...lan-your-visit
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:49 pm

I went last September. Agreed that "worth it" is subjective, but I've been on a lot of palace/castle tours and it was a good one. I prefer a really old, practically ruined castle, but mother-in-law that went with me was absolutely in awe. The scarcity of availability makes me feel like it's something you must do if you happen to be there during the right season.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Do you remember approx how long it took?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ttep
Do you remember approx how long it took?
You walk through at your own pace, using the audio guide as and when you want to. There are signs indicating which part of the guide to listen to for various rooms and objects and for the main themed exhibition which is normally held in the ballroom and ball supper room. You could be through and out in 30/40 mins if you walk at pace and don't stop to listen to much. Or it could take 2 hours, maybe more, if you stop and look / listen to everything. It also does depend to an extent on how busy it is. The crowds can back up, particularly in the exhibition rooms, with 50+ people all seemingly intent on seeing each and every object.

Also, if you're an art lover you could easily spend and hour looking at the paintings in the Picture Gallery, very strong on old masters and the Dutch school.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Nice visit. Did it ~10 years ago.

If it is worth it is IMO subjective. There are certainly more impressive castles and palaces to look at and visit than BP. I found the Tower of London somewhat more interesting. Has IMO a more fascinating history and you get to see the Tower Bridge as well, which is definitely a plus too.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
you might also consider doing a tour of parliament. I think they have tours on weekends. I did it last year and really enjoyed it. parliament has their own website to buy tickets.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
You walk through at your own pace, using the audio guide as and when you want to. There are signs indicating which part of the guide to listen to for various rooms and objects and for the main themed exhibition which is normally held in the ballroom and ball supper room. You could be through and out in 30/40 mins if you walk at pace and don't stop to listen to much. Or it could take 2 hours, maybe more, if you stop and look / listen to everything. It also does depend to an extent on how busy it is. The crowds can back up, particularly in the exhibition rooms, with 50+ people all seemingly intent on seeing each and every object.

Also, if you're an art lover you could easily spend and hour looking at the paintings in the Picture Gallery, very strong on old masters and the Dutch school.
Oohh.. so it's self guided like the Louvre. Thought there may be no other option than to have a physical guide. Thanks for the info mate.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ttep
Oohh.. so it's self guided like the Louvre. Thought there may be no other option than to have a physical guide. Thanks for the info mate.
Not quite the Louvre. There is a route that you have to follow but it is at your own pace and the standard ticket doesn't include a tour guide, I'm not sure if those are available or not.

Happy to help.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:51 pm

Awesome - understood.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.