Wiki Posts
Search

Coastal Towns near London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A few other thoughts:

Aldeburgh was mentioned, but without a car it's a pain - you'd be looking at train to Ipswich, branch line towards Lowestoft, local bus or taxi. But it's a lovely, genteel little place that happens to have (IMO) the best fish & chips in the South of England.

Whitstable is in a similar vein, but easily accessible via Southeastern High-Speed, changing at Faversham. Very pleasant little town, famous for its oysters (and with a great little seafood market), and an extensive pebble beach with a number of pubs perched on it. Canterbury is a short bus ride away (and a direct trip to/from London on the SE HS as well).

A favourite of ours (as I'm not too close to the sea by UK standards) is to drive down to Leigh-on-Sea. Again, this area is famous for its shellfish, and the stalls and pubs down by the old High Street on the waterfront, are great. We then walk from here along the water to Southend. However much the towns insist, they are not "on sea", they are on the Thames estuary, and this is very evident when the tide is out, and you're left with a bizarre, shimmering, almost lunar landscape. You walk through some boatyards, clinging to the river, then get to the more genteel areas around Westcliff before getting to the more raucous (but always impressively friendly IME) centre of Southend, where you can take a train along the gargantuan pier (and then take the 'real' train back to Leigh).

If you can make the effort though, my favourite of the Essex seaside places is Mersea Island. It's tricky, though, as it's linked by tidal causeway, and it's easy to get cut off (as indeed happened to us last time). It's very laid back, there's some big beach-hut dotted sandy beaches, but again, the attraction is the food. The Company Shed is here - a shack selling very fresh seafood, on the beach, admittedly slightly overhyped, but it's not the only place in town. Definitely has an island feel. Buses go from Colchester.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Brighton only takes 4 minutes by high speed train....it's a nice town although I found the beach a bit stoney to sit on.

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Dover has an impressive castle, but the town itself is rather careworn. On the other hand, if you want to see the busiest ferry terminal in the world.... Dover station isn't actually that near the water.
I'd add Portsmouth to your list. Huge naval history, and standing on the sea wall by the (busy) harbour entrance - you can almost touch the vessels passing through.
Both of these are great suggestions.

Dover Castle is definitely recommended. And the busy maritime traffic is also quite an impressive sight from the top of the cliffs. Like others have said, don't expect anything from the town.

A visit to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is also fascinating - there's a lot to be seen.

A walk along the Seven Sisters cliffs and coastline also makes for a great day out. The name comes from the seven cliff peaks.

(It's perhaps worth noting that Seven Sisters is also the name of a district in north London which has a Tube station - in that case, the name comes from seven elm trees, so don't go there expecting to see cliffs!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.