Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber from Manchester to Leeds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Uber from Manchester to Leeds

I am thinking of taking an Uber from Manchester to Leeds. This is estimated to cost around £60 on the Uber website. Can a driver refuse to drive me there (because he/she may have difficulty finding a passenger going back to Manchester)?

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Well any uber driver can accept or not any job so if one accepts your request then they have accepted it.

Any refual because they think they can't find a job back would happen before they accept your job in the first place.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:42 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm not even sure a Manchester Uber is allowed to pick up in Leeds (they have to be licensed car services per local authority here) so I would imagine the price already reflects the return journey.

Should it prove difficult, bear in mind there is a very frequent, 24-hour train service between the cities.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I got stung with the 'Uber Sting' on Friday where the driver accepts the job, then calls and confirms destination. They then cancel the job. if you don't notice you can be left high and dry. Keep an eye on the app if you get a call from your 'driver'.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I had a similar question out of London:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...uber-zone.html

Short answer is it was fine, and London Uber drivers can sometimes go 100 miles outside of London.

So I'd say you're fine, especially as drivers can choose their jobs anyway. In the unlikely event you do have a problem, there are websites like Minicabit, and it'll only be slightly more expensive than Uber.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the responses, thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by simpletastes
I am thinking of taking an Uber from Manchester to Leeds. This is estimated to cost around £60 on the Uber website. Can a driver refuse to drive me there (because he/she may have difficulty finding a passenger going back to Manchester)?

Many thanks for your thoughts.
It should work well enough. Though note that what looks like an easy drive can turn into a nightmare - depending on day, time, road-works and weather: the train is (reasonably) fast, frequent and (usually) reliable.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Why not get the train? Simple and straightforward, and then get Uber or another taxi once you get to your destination train station.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by stut
I'm not even sure a Manchester Uber is allowed to pick up in Leeds (they have to be licensed car services per local authority here) so I would imagine the price already reflects the return journey.

Should it prove difficult, bear in mind there is a very frequent, 24-hour train service between the cities.
They are allowed. A private hire car can operate in another authority apart from London. Lots of the private hire cars in my local authority are registered in the neighboring authority as the fees are cheaper.

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Why not get the train? Simple and straightforward, and then get Uber or another taxi once you get to your destination train station.
I would go via the train. There is a direct service between Manchester Victoria and Leeds.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by FN-GM
I would go via the train. There is a direct service between Manchester Victoria and Leeds.
There's also Piccadilly to Leeds - which is a quicker service (about 50 minutes).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There's also Piccadilly to Leeds - which is a quicker service (about 50 minutes).
I agree. Definitely would not recommend the VIC to LDS trains unless you enjoy a much longer journey, taking in lots of small towns across the Pennines, and sitting on very old trains.

For Manchester to Leeds the Piccadilly services are much better, more frequent, and a lot faster.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is an hourly non-stop TP service from Vic to Leeds (it's the Liverpool - Newcastle service), taking 49 minutes, although there's engineering stopping it from running this week.

Once the Ordsall Chord is opened, later this year, Victoria will be the quickest connection to Leeds.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I live not far from Manchester and I didn't know that route existed. Cheers for letting us know.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:15 pm

I lost my wallet last year in Manchester. Needed to return to the first town in West Yorkshire (UK readers maybe familiar with the BBC's "Happy Valley", that's where we're talking.)

This was a Sunday night at about 8pm. Ordered an Uber. Prius showed up in 90 seconds. Gave him the postcode and he didn't bat an eyelid. Driver said he frequently takes people to Leeds, Liverpool and once even Shrewsbury.

Depending on the time of day you could get to Leeds and back into the Manchester Uber area in probably about two hours on a good run. I'd imagine an Uber driver would rather take £60-70 up top for two hours out of a shift.

Turned out I'd dropped the wallet in a black cab in Manchester on the way to a comedy gig. A german scientist called Wolfgang found it. He got someone from the plastics factory he was visiting outside Bolton the following morning to call me (they found one of my business cards) and wallet and all cash and cards, by then cancelled, back in my hand by 10am the next morning. All very lucky.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:58 am
Original Poster

As the OP, I just wanted to report back that I took an Uber from Manchester to Leeds without a problem. We took a car instead of a train because of a few reasons: (1) three of us travelling, so Uber was just about as economical, (2) we were not sure when we would leave Manchester and (3) we could travel point-to-point (in our case, from a restaurant in Manchester to a hotel in Leeds).

Thanks for all the thoughts by various posters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.